Corsair Community

PC starts and shuts off automatically - New Build

Kelly42

I built my first computer and when I turn on the power, it shuts down automatically. The CPU light turns on briefly, prior to shutting down.

Here are the parts list:

* Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Case

* Corsair Hydro Series H90 140mm CPU Cooler

* Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000 (PC4-24000)

* GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151

* Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K

* GeForce GTX 750Ti

This problem has happened several times and I have reapplied thermal paste and made sure that the pins on the Motherboard, where the Processor is seated are not bent. Thermal paste was applied using pee method in center of processor.

I've plugged in a PC Motherboard Internal Speaker, and it does not make any beeps.

I have tried two different mobos (same model) and two power supplies (EVGA Supernova 750B2 and Corsair AXi Series, AX860i). I have also done the paperclip test on both and both PSUs are operating correctly.

The DDR4 are plugged into slots marked 1 & 2, as per mobo manual.

I have triple checked that all necessary cables are plugged in fully to both the PSU and mobo. I have also tried to boot up the computer w/o graphics card and hard drives.

All components excluding mobo, processor, and H90 water cooler were installed in another tower and functioned correctly.

Please advise.

I have used two different power supply units and tested both of them with the paperclip method. Both PSUs work as the fan remains on. I had also tested the EVGA (model listed in initial post) in a different system and it powers that system perfectly.

How do you reset the BIOS w/o getting the BIOS screen (as it won't stay powered on for longer than one second)?

There should be a jumper around the battery on the motherboard itself. You connect both points on the jumper to reset the bios. No need to have the computer on either. Make sure everything is off, even the switch on the PSU before resetting the jumper for the bios reset. Try running only one memory stick instead of two to see if the computer posts.

On the mobo, there is no jumper present on the CLR CMOS 2 jumper, and no additional jumpers were provided with the GA-Z270X mobo.

While the computer tower is unplugged, I removed the CMOS battery, held the power button for 15 seconds, put the CMOS battery back in place, plugged the tower back in, turned on the power on the back of the PSU and pushed the power on switch on the front of my tower. The result was the same, that the computer turned on for approximately one second (or less), and turned off again.

I've tested four different DDR4 memory sticks in slot 1 (Vengeance & Anarchy) and has the same result. I have tested the Corsair Obsidian 750D by using a screwdriver to bridge the + & - terminals of the power connector under the F_Panel connectors. The computer turns on and then after a second turns off.

I believe that the problem rests in the i7 7700k CPU processor, so I am returning the original and have a replacement on order. I will post, on this forum feed (sometime on or after Monday May 1, 2017), after I have seated the new CPU.

I have come across a similar problem 3 times, once with my build and twice with other peoples.

1) A small brass stand-off was in the middle of the 750D motherboard tray on my build, it was touching the underside of the motherboard and causing a short.

2) I thought that the memory was not seated properly, but after a couple of hours I discovered that the 1st memory slot was u/s, I tried a memory module in slot 2 or 3 and it worked.

3) The person building the computer had connected the 8 pin cpu lead to a PCie socket on the PSU rather than the CPU socket.

Those were some interesting points; however, I have since replaced the CPU with another i7-770k model. The computer completed its POST and functions perfectly. I hadn't observed any stand offs that were misaligned and could cause a short, which leads me to believe that it was likely a defective CPU from the start.

• 1 year later...

I realize this post is old-ish. But I figured I'd put in my solution just in case others ran into similar issues.

I just re-built my PC with the 750D case and have found the power button/panel to be faulty. My symptoms were:

-Automatic shutdown within three seconds of power on (or plugging in)

-Seemingly random shutdown once finally booted

-Pushing the power button often wouldn't work and would require multiple presses

-Putting one or both of the sides on the case seemed to result in automatic shut-down most of the time.

I finally figured out what it was for sure when my 1 year old daughter walked by and touched the panel where the power button is. Computer shut down. I booted back up and retested a couple of times. Sure enough, just tapping that panel caused the PC to shut down.

I then unplugged the cables going to the motherboard for power/reset. Now I can remove and replace panels as well as tap on the power button as much as I like and there are no more shut downs.

I'm currently awaiting a reply from customer support for a new panel. But at least I am fairly confident that it's not my PSU, CPU, or MB. For a while I was thinking it was one of those and was worried. But I've had zero issues since unplugging that panel.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, mmfish, it's crazy, huh? I was pretty much ready to replace PSU and MB until my 1 year old happened to touch the front bezel. Restarted the PC a few times and each time was able to shut it off with just pressing on the plastic/aluminum there.

I like the case pretty good overall and the modularity and space is a step above my old CoolerMaster. But my old case was definitely made of sturdier steel and had no issues like a faulty power button/panel.

Thankfully they're going to send me a new panel under warranty. It's taking them a while to send it. But I'll post an update here when I get it installed.

I submitted request for replacement and await decision. Case cables are thin and coming together from 2 directions. I do not think these are thought thru. They should be sheathed and more secure. If I get another case with dangling wires I will return it. I recommend others check standoffs and all case cables before they start building.

Any case that comes with rgb lighting and fans have built in wiring, some of which you can't see. This wiring eventually plugs into your motherboard. How can every motherboard manufacturer keep up with every case manufacturer's rgb fan technology? They can't and don't. Any, I repeat any aberration in motherboard input prevents booting. Pay attention to case inputs.

Archived