Corsair Community

The AX860 Platinum is Superb, AXi Individually Sleeved Cables? Many Thanks Corsair!

MatthewScores

Using the AX860 for almost a week now and it’s perfectly silent, no max rpms at power up or wake from sleep, have not even heard the fan at all, not even once. The Hybrid-Normal mode switch on the outside front of the unit is brilliant, allowing the user to toggle between Hybrid-Fanless to 30% mode OR switch to Normal mode the fan spins at low/inaudible for gaming or any cpu/system intensive task. In Normal mode the PSU chassis remains at room temperature, beautiful.

Many thanks Corsair for making this new Platinum grade unit so outstanding!

Which Corsair Individually sleeved cables work with the AX860 Platinum?

I found this in another forum:

“The old AX 650/750/850 cables are only compatible with those three power supplies.

The old AX1200 cables were only compatible with that unit.

All the new modular power supplies, TXM, HX Gold, AX platinum, and AXi, all use the same connectors.”

Then found this:

"Group 1

AX1200i

AX860i

AX760i

AX860 *24-pin is different

AX760 *24-pin is different

HX1050

HX1000

HX850

HX750

HX650 *Gold version

TX850M

TX750M

Group 1 is the standard we will be using on all PSUs going forward."

Just want to make sure I can use the AXi 24-pin with the AX860, one posting says yes, another says no.

I’m ready to cable up today, but don’t want to blow out the mobo.

Thanks again guys, could not love this power supply more.:D::D::D:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1215.jpg

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1205.jpg

All the individually sleeved Corsair AXi cables fit physically into the AX860(non-i) with the exception of the 24-pin. I just tried the cables.

Have an individually sleeved 24-pin left from a AX850 red colored set that fits physically into the AX860 PSU.

So physically I have all the cables I need, I just don't know if they match electrically. :( Have an old mobo I could hook up and find out.:dunno:

Hello, is this engineering?:confused:

The individually sleeved AXi cables for the AX1200i do indeed work for the AX860 (non-i), all plugged in and working just fine. Have not checked the 24-pin yet from the AX850, will find out later today.

Noticed Corsair is using a thicker braid (about a mm thicker diameter) for the individually sleeved cables than before, it’s also more reflective. Looks nicer.

Woohoo, the 24-pin individually sleeved cable from the AX850 Gold set does indeed work just fine with the AX860 (non-i) Platinum psu. They are both Seasonic OEMs which makes sense.

In this photo, the 24-pin is from a AX850 Gold cable kit and all the others are from an AX1200i cable kit.

They all work just fine; seems if they plug in they function, copper is copper! I just plugged them all into a very old X48 mobo and all was stable so went ahead and cabled up the M5E, all is well in Hooterville, and this concludes our story.:D:

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1224.jpg

Sorry, here is a power ON shot just for proof the above mentioned works.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1226.jpg

A special shout out to Mr. Yellowbeard, this is all for you man, and thank you again.:hihi:

The AX860 and AX760 are just now beginning to get the attention they deserve as more reviewers fall for them:

This excerpt from the KitGuru review

November 20th, 2012 at 8:40 pm - Author Zardon

The Corsair Professional Series AX760 and AX860 power supplies are both excellent units which exhibit no weaknesses. They are beautifully constructed and based around an exceptional Seasonic based 80 Plus Platinum internal design.

These units are ideal for the discerning enthusiast user who would like to save a little over the recently released Digital ‘i’ supplies which feature the Corsair LINK interface module and proprietary software. The AX760 and AX860 are around £20 less expensive than the equal wattage ‘i’ series units. All models feature exemplary build quality and deep paint work which proves resilient against fingerprints and ham fisted handling.

As our testing has highlighted, both units when pushed hard will deliver much more wattage than their rating suggests. The Corsair AX860 managed to hold a 1000W load for quite some time which highlights that the internal design is pleasingly over specified.

Noise suppression and load regulation are admirable, and both units sailed through the intensive cross loading test without even a minor hiccup. On a technical level there is little to fault from both supplies, in fact finding a closing argument against a purchase proves rather difficult.

There are certainly cheaper options on the market, but in this case you certainly get what you pay for.

The pure modular design will prove popular with a wide audience of case modders who want to fine tune their cabling for ultimate appearance. The high grade 120mm Sanyo Denki fan is very quiet, even when dealing with a very high, active load.

The ‘hybrid’ mode will be well suited for the best part of the intended audience, especially enthusiast users wishing to build a system with minimal noise. The fan in both AX760 and AX860 won’t spin until the supply is facing at least a 50% load, dependent on the ambient temperature of the system chassis and surrounding environment.

These are excellent power supplies, but to be perfectly honest we expect this now from Corsair, their overall standards in a wide cross section of sectors have been without reproach this year. Both AX760 and AX860 ship with a seven year warranty and they are clearly confident that these units are built to last.

You can pick up the Corsair AX760 and AX860 from Scan for £140 and £152 including vat, respectively.

Pros:

Rock solid.

great build quality.

7 year warranty.

low noise.

ripple suppression.

load regulation.

pure modular.

quiet.

Cons:

They aren’t cheap.

This is a great website to reference power supply efficiency. The new Corsair Platinums are not yet listed but are 92% efficient. They only list the AX1200i so far. The 4 new parts from Corsair 2 are Flextronics OEMs and 2 are Seasonic OEMs.

http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80PlusPowerSupplies.aspx

I have used both the AX860i (Flextronics) and the AX860 (Seasonic) units and can easily say just how disappointed I was with the AX860i (Flextronics). Yes it is digital and you can plug it into your mobo and get software values for temperature, fan speed and watts used which is very cool, but the tradeoff is Corsair released the part with a poorly engineered fan profile/behavior to meet deadline for the Christmas holiday buying season. No, I’m not making this up; these are the words from Corsair George:

“Hey Bruce, I just talked to the PSU engineer. A bit of disappointing news for you, unfortunately.

When the PSU is first powered on or comes out of sleep mode, it runs the fan at full RPM so the PWM duty cycle can be determined. We specify that the PSU will run at a certain RPM at maximum when operating normally, but on boot it needs to determine the max fan speed.

The fan used was selected for longevity and reliability concerns, and our PSU engineers figured that since they were only ever going to run the fan at lower RPMs, that they would just buy a model with a proven lifespan instead of having a new fan made at a lower RPM. This was done to save time in the development cycle, and to guarantee longevity. Unfortunately, the maximum RPM of the fan used (I believe it's a Yate Loon double ball bearing model) is around 2700 RPM.

What this means is that anytime an AX760i or AX860i (or AX1200i - any of the flextronics-based parts) comes out of sleep or a cold boot, the fan must be run at maximum RPM (loud) so the PSU can know what duty cycle to make appropriate. Fan specs are typically +/-10%, so each PSU needs to evaluate that independently.

For example:

PSU 1 - fan used may be 2500 RPM - PSU wants 100% load at 50C to be 1250 RPM, assigns 50% duty cycle under that scenario.

PSU 2 - fan used may be 2700 RPM - PSU wants 100% load at 50C to be 1250 RPM, assigns 45% duty cycle under that scenario.

We could have gotten around this by just using a lower speed fan in the first place, something that maxed out around 1500 RPMs, so it wouldn't have been as noticeable. If we're not going to use the extra 1200 RPMs above that, why would we select such a loud fan?

The answer was typical engineering response - hit the target ship date with known reliable parts.

This will change in the future, but in the meantime, if there's anything I can do to help you out or make that experience better for you, let me know. I know you're a loyal customer and while most people don't mind the 10-30 seconds of noisy PSU fan stuff, I feel like we could have done better and I'm willing to help you out if you want a different PSU or something else to help out.” end quote.

So the bottom line is, the AX860i is extremely loud on power up, and wake from sleep mode and mine even had its fan spinning to noisy levels every 12seconds when it reached 42C or above, at idle only pulling 130watts. If you don’t mind the noise it’s a world class PSU, there is no doubt about that. If noise is an issue for you then purchase the AX860 (non-i Seasonic based unit) that’s the one I am using now and it is Superb. I have never heard the fan spin at all and some reviewers are saying its fan will not spin up until a 50% load, that’s 430watts. The Corsair AX860 (Seasonic) also has a toggle switch on the front of the unit enabling the user to remain in Hybrid Fan mode (no spin until 430watts) or Normal mode which at idle the fan rotates at very low rpms creating zero auditory output, then slowly ramps up as more watts increase and/or your ambient warms up. I could not wait to get the AX860i out of the office it was so loud, and my pc is for work and sits about 30inches away. The AX860 without the i is just a brilliant PSU, yet you don’t get the CorsairLink software. Maybe sometime next year when Corsair works things out we can have software AND silence, but for now it’s still a decision to be made. By the way, anyone seeing Mr. Corsair George also known as RedBeard in the forums, he is by far one of the best people you will ever meet in the tech industry. Please show him the admiration he deserves. George will tell you exactly what’s going on, no BS ever; his talents and extensive knowledge base allow Corsair as a company to be much more transparent in transferring info and receiving input from customers and correcting issues that arise during production runs. So show George some love next time you see him. No I don’t work for Corsair, but I certainly would if I had the time. I do love their products, and will invest in their IPO next year.

Both PSUs also come with a 7-year warranty, so in December 2019 when your AX860 finally gives up after seven years of long wonderful service, call up Corsair and they will send you a new one for free. Probably be Rhodium-Efficiency by then or Einsteinium 99%.:)

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x358/MeanBruce/IMG_1230_zps836ac341.jpg

This Corsair forum is so dry so desiccant, could almost throw up dust. It needs a soul and a life to live forward
Then start posting non-Corsair stuff lol. Forum had a soul until someone deleted it 10 or so years ago (not a joke). Why do you think I post the gaming stuff?

Matt, are you absolutely sure the AX 850/750/650 cables will work on the new AX860 and 760? I say this because I got free cables with my AX750 ordered from Corsair and then I saw NEwegg was having an insane deal on the AX860 for $150 so I went and ordered that and I may or may not keep the cables because the PDF says they are not compatible

http://www.corsair.com/en/media/cms/manual/PSU_Sleeved_Compatibility_Matrix.pdf

Archived