Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX and TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX?

tim125

I have GA-MA78GM-S2H mainboard and TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX. I may want to upgrade another 4gb of memory.

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX works out cheaper, can I run it with the same settings as TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX without problems?

That way I will have 8gb of DDR2-800?

Thank you,

-Timothy

• Corsair Employee
Yes but with 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0-2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi,

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX version 1.1 (2.1 volt) C4 timings

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX version 4.1 (1.8 volt) C5 timings

I have the specified memory modules (still to install).

Q1: Can I run the C4 memory at C5 speeds at 1.8 volt?

Q2: Is there a later version of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX than 1.1? (do I have the latest? It sounds as if I have old memory when compared to v4.1)

Q3: Do you get 2gig modules with 1.8 volt memory at C4 timings?

Q4: When running all 4 modules to get 8gb memory, is the requirement to under-clock and increase voltage only applicable to AMD or is it applicable for both AMD and Intel?

Q5: When I run these at 667mhz @ 2.1volt will the C5 be damaged at higher voltage or is this compatibility built into the specification of the memory?

Q6: I hear that running at anything other than v1.8 will ruin the memory in the long-run (2+ years). Is this a myth? Will the warranty still be applicable?

Thank you,

-Timothy Twelves

Hi,

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX version 1.1 (2.1 volt) C4 timings

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX version 4.1 (1.8 volt) C5 timings

I have the specified memory modules (still to install).

Q1: Can I run the C4 memory at C5 speeds at 1.8 volt?

Not tested / guaranteed, but you can try it.

Q2: Is there a later version of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX than 1.1? (do I have the latest? It sounds as if I have old memory when compared to v4.1)
Version # is tied to the IC used, and NOT when it was made!

Q3: Do you get 2gig modules with 1.8 volt memory at C4 timings?
They do not currently make memory that meets these specs. Click the banner at the top to check out all of their memory products.

Q4: When running all 4 modules to get 8gb memory, is the requirement to under-clock and increase voltage only applicable to AMD or is it applicable for both AMD and Intel?
Dependent on the memory controller on the motherboard.

Q5: When I run these at 667mhz @ 2.1volt will the C5 be damaged at higher voltage or is this compatibility built into the specification of the memory?
They're BOTH warrantied up to, but not over, 2.1v.

Q6: I hear that running at anything other than v1.8 will ruin the memory in the long-run (2+ years). Is this a myth? Will the warranty still be applicable?
Myth, hence why they have a LIFETIME warranty, not to mention the fact that they're designed to run @ the rated voltage.

• 3 years later...

I know this thread is pretty old but if by any chance @tim125 is getting a notification of my reply, I would love to find out if the mixing of the 2 pairs of memory modules worked somehow.

I'm currently in the same situation as I need to add 4 GB of RAM to my older computer (running on a pair of C4DHX) and my only option right now is to buy a pair of C5DHX because C4DHX vanished from stores and also from Corsair's main and support websites (which I find very disappointing since I would like to see tech details about my older memory modules and I can't because Corsair chose to dump this info).

Never mind. I saw in one of his subsequent posts that he returned the C5.

• 10 months later...
Guest exia2012
I know this thread is pretty old but if by any chance @tim125 is getting a notification of my reply, I would love to find out if the mixing of the 2 pairs of memory modules worked somehow.

I'm currently in the same situation as I need to add 4 GB of RAM to my older computer (running on a pair of C4DHX) and my only option right now is to buy a pair of C5DHX because C4DHX vanished from stores and also from Corsair's main and support websites (which I find very disappointing since I would like to see tech details about my older memory modules and I can't because Corsair chose to dump this info).

Never mind. I saw in one of his subsequent posts that he returned the C5.

Hey man its proly too late for me too but I am in the exact situation with the rams.

I have the same 4gb kit (2x2gb) c4dhx.

If you are still stuck in the same situation please contact me

Archived