Corsair Community

ram compatability with overall system

grassy

Hi guys, i am new to computer gaming and have the following memory which is CMZ32GX3M4X1866C10 4X8GBDDR3 X 2 OFF for a total of 64gig. I am just wondering if this is ok for gaming on windows 7 64bit system. I have been told that i should reduce the amount of ram that i have in my system but i cant understand why. I have a rampage 4 extreme and nothing has been overclocked. Am i ok with this ram or should i have gone for something different. I also am running a 3690x cpu and wish to run both my gtx690's in quad sli.My main concern at the moment is making sure that my ram is compatable.If you need any more info i would be happy to give it to you. Thanks:):

If it is just a gaming rig why would you need 64 gigs of memory? You'll never use it.

The memory itself is fine but jusy be aware Corsair does not suggest or support mixing kits like this. There is just too many issues that can come from using multiple kits.

However if it is stable i would just leave well enough alone.

thanks for the replies, i also do a lot of video editing and recordings and use it for my personal buisness. Its just that the system was quite unstable for a while especially when i was gaming and kept getting crashes. Drivers were checked and were fine, the more i searched around the more i was being told that i could have the wrong type of ram. I do not plan on mixing my ram with any other type, i was just told to loose the vengence and go with another grade of corsair, it was just leaving me a little confused. I was also told that this ram has a few handshake problems with the x79 chipset. i really dont know what to believe, but all in all if you guys reckon it is comatable then i will leave everything as is and look at my instability elsewhere in my system.I was running my 2 graphics cards in quad sli and having freezing problems and thats why i checked my drivers first.

Its just that the system was quite unstable for a while especially when i was gaming and kept getting crashes.

This is often the case when mixing/combining kits. Yes, even two kits of the exact same part number can cause incompatibility issues between the two kits. You would have been better off to buy a 64 gig kit kit instead of two 32's

For now i would isolate the two kits and test them with memtess(link on the left) and let each kit run for about three passes or until you get an error. If both kits pass on their own , go ahead and put them back with the others but reduce the speed to 1600mhz. That should get you stable.

This is often the case when mixing/combining kits. Yes, even two kits of the exact same part number can cause incompatibility issues between the two kits. You would have been better off to buy a 64 gig kit kit instead of two 32's

For now i would isolate the two kits and test them with memtess(link on the left) and let each kit run for about three passes or until you get an error. If both kits pass on their own , go ahead and put them back with the others but reduce the speed to 1600mhz. That should get you stable.

Awesome, thanks peanutz.I will definately give that a try.well you live and learn. If that is the issue i definately wont make that mistake again.:):

At this point all you can do is try. It certainly can't hurt.

Did you try running them at 1600mhz with all 64 gigs in?

I havnt done so yet, but i definately will very soon.I am slowly narrowing the problem down to a pinpoint.:biggrin:

• Corsair Employee
You will also want to make sure that you are not mixing the sets and that you have the latest BIOS on your MB. IE: one matching in Slots, A1, B1, C1, and D1, and the other matching set in slots A2,B2,C2, and D2.

You will also want to make sure that you are not mixing the sets and that you have the latest BIOS on your MB. IE: one matching in Slots, A1, B1, C1, and D1, and the other matching set in slots A2,B2,C2, and D2.
Will do ram guy and thanks.:):

As far as the bios goes, here is the version i am running and also when i start my computer up i notice that it says "GEN 2" not gen 3 even though my video cards are in the 16x lanes.Also in the Bus interface shouldnt it be reading @x16 3.0 instead of @x16 1.0http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj555/grassy1962/IMGP1060Medium.jpg

Well, this is only speculation, but it may be that the piggyback GPU is not getting a big enough load on it? I recommend to get ahold of the graphics card maker & see what they say about it. Might also ask the GPU-Z developer & see if it is a known bug with your particular configuration. It may need to be revised.

Archived