Corsair Community

Oops! My memory isn't in the QVL

Jonessie

I've been a Corsair customer for 17 years; every build has been with Corsair memory. I recently overhauled my system with a new MB and memory. Because of the Corsair Hydro Series™ H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler in my case is quite close to the RAM. I decided on getting low profile memory instead because I was 99.98% sure that the heatsink on the memory would have been very close to the fans on the liquid cooler. I looked at my supplier’s website and found a great low profile memory at 2133MHz which is great because my MB takes up to 2400MHz. Well in theory that is.

Although, when the memory was delivered today it dawned on me that I didn’t RTFM to check if the memory was in the compatibility list. To my horror it isn’t in the list of compatible memory, which means I can’t use it because it’s not in the list. I would need to speak to the manufactures of the board to ask if there has been any issue with this memory and ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z MB. It’s a logistical impossibility to check every single RAM module available on the market at the moment. If it’s not in the list it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s not compatible does it…?

I have a feeling I will be RMA these back to my supplier and change this over for the following modules CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R which are very good, but I am concerned that my HD100 Liquid Cooler is going to be very close to the memory. I have looked up the size of the memory and it comes in at 13.7mm I need to check the clearance from the modules to the HD100 Liquid Cooler and see what the clearance is. I initially purchased the Corsair Vengeance 16GB kit because it was a low profile version and there wouldn’t be an issue with the clearance from the modules to the HD100 Liquid Cooler.

If there is enough clearance then I shall change the memory over for these instead. At least I know that they’ll work and they are listed within the compatibility list. Memory that isn’t listed within the compatibility would it still work…? I haven’t tried it because I noticed it wasn’t within the list before I installed the memory.

The MB would have set the memory to 1333MHZ which is really annoying when it should be on 2133 instead with timings of 11-11-11-27 instead it would show as 9-9-9-24. Having memory on Auto is terrible, it’s dreadful for memory, although as a safety precaution most manufactures tend to stick with Auto.

The 1866MHz memory is a great piece of kit, but the height of the memory concerns me because I have a feeling this is going to be awfully close to the Liquid Cooler…?

Any help would be deeply appreciated; I have sent a support form to ASUS and just awaiting on their reply. They are pretty prompt with a reply, and if they come back and say that it’s fine then I shall install and use it. But I have a gut feeling they are going to say.

NO… :[pouts::[pouts::[pouts:

've been a Corsair customer for 17 years; every build has been with Corsair memory. I recently overhauled my system with a new MB and memory. Because of the Corsair Hydro Series™ H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler in my case is quite close to the RAM. I decided on getting low profile memory instead because I was 99.98% sure that the heatsink on the memory would have been very close to the fans on the liquid cooler. I looked at my supplier’s website and found a great low profile memory at 2133MHz which is great because my MB takes up to 2400MHz. Well in theory that is.

Which kit are you questioning.? The Vengeance LP are completely compatible with the new AMD CPU's. It may not appear on ASUS QVL but they would still be compatible from Corsairs point of view.Your board may be able to run 2400mhz memory , but i have yet to see an AMD , even an FX get much over 1866mhz

he MB would have set the memory to 1333MHZ which is really annoying when it should be on 2133 instead with timings of 11-11-11-27 instead it would show as 9-9-9-24. Having memory on Auto is terrible, it’s dreadful for memory, although as a safety precaution most manufactures tend to stick with Auto.

memory defaults to 1333mhz so the machine can post and will not run at rated speed until you set them manually. Atleast with AMD. Intel you can enable XMP and that sets the ram up with one click of the mouse.

You might also want to look at this table for AMD memory settings above 1333mhz. There are quite a few limitations with the new AMD CPU's

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110429

Archived