Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B runs at 1333MHz and XMP are not stable

Deanaze

Hi,

I just builded up my new system with the maincomponent:

CPU: i7-3770

Mainboard: Asus P8H77-I

RAM: CMZ8GX3M2A2133C11B

My problem is, I cant run the RAM on the "supported" 2133MHz how it should be and it runs at 1333MhZ. The mainboard supports overclocking the RAM but if I load the XMP I get some settings from 2000MhZ 10 10 10 27 at 1.5volt what just not work... I tryed to set things manual but it still crashes.

I know overclock the RAM is not the best way, but I use an ivy bridge system so at least 1600MhZ should be supported.

I would be pleased about any support, I am close to kick the RAM out of the system but that cant be the solution...

Thank you.

Br,

Dennis

Recommend to set the RAM up manually a step at a time & test for stability. Yes, your CPU IMC native support is for 1600. The RAM runs at 1333 by default as it is programmed to do so. Try setting up the RAM manually at 1600 at first, then move up to 1866 & try that. Try with SA set at 0.965-0.970v's & I/O set to 1.07v's.

Thank you, I will try that. Hornestly I should bought directly 1600MhZ would be easier. Now I have the latest BIOS-Update on my system as well and im not sure if that was a good move :( Another problem I have is, that in the Ai Overclocker Tuner I can only choose Auto or XMP and not go to manual. Beside that I can set the other settings by hand...

Deanaze

what HU16GE is saying is that 2133mhz is a airly large overcloc for your CPU. People see that the Mb supports super fast memory and do not realize that your CPU plays a huge roll in those speeds. Actually the the memory controller in the CPu

I' usually do not tell people to ignore a post but in this case i disagree with the previous post..but there are some things to try first.

1) make sure you have the latest BIOS for your MB

2) when you enable XMP , set the DIMM voltage to 1.55v and see if that is stable. Also check to see what the SA voltage is being set to with XMP enabled because you may need that info for the next step.

30If 2133mhz is not stable try 1866 with the XMP timings and voltages. I bet 1866mhz would be feasble over 21333mhz.

:( Another problem I have is, that in the Ai Overclocker Tuner I can only choose Auto or XMP and not go to manual. Beside that I can set the other settings by hand...

You should have three choices with that. AUTO, XMP and manual. Choose manual. If you cant figure out how to set it that way please look at your manual

There is no need to touch the IO voltage at all. XMP does not touch that setting so you should not need to to set the memory up.

:( Another problem I have is, that in the Ai Overclocker Tuner I can only choose Auto or XMP and not go to manual. Beside that I can set the other settings by hand...

You should have three choices with that. AUTO, XMP and manual. Choose manual. If you cant figure out how to set it that way please look at your manual

Thank you all at first.

Of course I know its a big OC. I just bought it because the difference in price where 5 bugs but now I know why :D

So the manual mode i dont have as option what is a hughe problem at time. and the latest bios is on my motherboard so I dont know whats the problem here maybee I need support from asus about it??? normaly it should give me the option but it dont...

and from the ram vendor the ram should work at 11 11 11 27 at 1.5V stable.

and from the ram vendor the ram should work at 11 11 11 27 at 1.5V stable.

Yes, and it will if your CPU can handle the overclock.

Just to be sure it's not the memory i would test each stick individually with memtest86+. Load set-up deaults and boot to memtest. Let each stick run for a minumim of 3 passes or untill you get an error. If one errors it's pretty easy...RMA the RAM. If they would both happen to error, then I would defiantly contact ASUS .

At any rate i would still contact then to get the BIOS setting resolved. You should be able to choose a manual mode for overclocking in your BIOS.

Very interesting I just found out by memtest86+ The Memory should from BIOS run in 1333MhZ but it runs as DDR1333 with 666MhZ :D Somethings very wrong...

Nope thats right...DDR stands for double data rate so it would be 666mhzx2 wich is roughly 1333mhz. It's all good!

Even a not supported memory should have the ability to choose manuel if the system offers that.

but will try memtest as well.

It may not be on ASUS QVL but it is supported by Corsair so it should all be good as well. But your right, you should still have the ability to change the BIOS setting. That has nothing to do with memory.

I usually do not tell people to ignore a post but in this case i disagree with the previous post..but there are some things to try first.

Not sure if that comment was directed at mine, but my recommendations and/or suggestions are just that & based on previous experience. :):

I/O & SA both relate to RAM & as long as the voltage is increased within published specs, always worth a try if the CPU IMC is being finicky.

Go answer from asus, that manual is not supported by the board. so i have to get new memory which runs at the speed... will look for it and hope to get it done asap...

Damn they offer:

Memory 2 x DIMM, Max. 16GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

Dual Channel Memory Architecture

* 1600MHz and higher frequency is supported by Intel® 3rd generation processors.

* Refer to http://www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

* Due to the CPU behavior, DDR3 2133/1866MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2000/1800MHz frequency as default.

What a bunch of ...

.I beleieve you are a little confused, you memory meets all the specs of the MB but EXCEEDS Intels max supported frequency of 1600mhz. If you choose to run memory over 1600mhz it is at your own risk.

So far you have found that they will not run at 2133mhz, but have you tried 1866mhz yet?

Section2-4 in your manual outlines the overclock settings. and should let you put the MB into manual mode.If you still cant figure it out contact ASUS, but say nothing about the memory , just that you cant get the AITweaker into manual mode and we can go from there. There is nothing we can do if you can not manually adjust your settings.

All you should have to do is highlight the AITweaker lline and hit enter, it should then give you a manual option, highlight that and hit enter again. That should put it into manual mode.

Quote:

I usually do not tell people to ignore a post but in this case i disagree with the previous post..but there are some things to try first.

Not sure if that comment was directed at mine, but my recommendations and/or suggestions are just that & based on previous experience.

I/O & SA both relate to RAM & as long as the voltage is increased within published specs, always worth a try if the CPU IMC is being finicky.

Yes it was. HU16E you admittedly only use MSI boards, and since every CPU/MB/memory kit is going to OC differently because of all kinds of reasons ,what works for you may not work for every one else. Even if they have the exact same hardware. Corsair RAM should be pretty easy to set-up and vary rarely do you need to touch the SA or IO voltage to get them to run As a matter of fact the IO voltage should not even come into play unless your overclocking the CPU too and not just the memory. SA voltage is set with XMP and if in the case of manually setting up the RAM, DIMM voltage and SA voltage would be the only two recommended to mess with.

Please don't take this wrong was as I am not intending to start a flame war, just offering up what i know.

Please don't take this wrong was as I am not intending to start a flame war, just offering up what i know.

No problem. Besides, it is against the forum rules. ;): We all have our way of doing things & have personal pc building experiences, & tell it as we see it. I only offered suggestions & recommendations. If that goes against another persons opinion on it, then so be it. I have seen an increase in I/O V. help in situations of a finicky CPU running RAM above native supported spec. As I understand it, I/O is somewhat similar to QPI as with X58's. I am not trying to confuse I/O with PLL that 'is' for sure CPU OC'ing related. SA voltage set by X.M.P. is often way overvolting for what is really needed. Again, by my experience, often that is the case. I dislike setting X.M.P. for those very reasons as each mainboard manufacturer has a habit of manipulating it to their own interpretation that doesn't always work without further BIOS revisions. No offense, but X.M.P. is a hit or miss way to set up RAM. Manual setting is the way to go (again IMHO), & offers fine tuning possibilities to each individuals platform. I've seen X.M.P. set the DRAM V. to 1.65v's way too many times on RAM that is engineered to run on 1.50v's (+ or - 0.075v's).

what works for you may not work for every one else

That's a fact. That is why many of my replies are only suggestions or recommendations. I guess I need to start including a disclaimer statement with each reply. :roll: When it comes to voltages & related suggestions, I offer what has worked for me, & I make every effort they are recognized industry limits or quoted from manufacturers most recent datasheets. :):

As I understand it, I/O is somewhat similar to QPI as with X58's. I am not trying to confuse I/O with PLL that 'is' for sure CPU OC'ing related. SA voltage set by X.M.P. is often way overvolting for what is really needed.
SAv should be the same as QPI voltage and why XMP set it accordingly. If you enable XMP you'll see the IO v is not even touched.

I dislike setting X.M.P. for those very reasons as each mainboard manufacturer has a habit of manipulating it to their own interpretation that doesn't always work without further BIOS revisions. No offense, but X.M.P. is a hit or miss way to set up RAM. Manual setting is the way to go (again IMHO), & offers fine tuning possibilities to each individuals platform. I've seen X.M.P. set the DRAM V. to 1.65v's way too many times on RAM that is engineered to run on 1.50v's (+ or - 0.075v's).

If XMP is setting voltage to 1.65v on sets that are supposed to be 1.5v then the RAm is wrong. Whether it be user error, mis advertizing on other sites(that happens alot) and not paying attention to specs.

For ex take this kit http://www.corsair.com/us/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/dual-channel-intel-memory-upgrade-kits/dominator-platinum-with-corsair-link-connector-1-5v-64-gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmd64gx3m4a2133c9.html

It says it is a 2133mhz kit @1.5v. However you need to pay attention to the SPD and tested specs.

At SPD or defaults it is 1.5v at 1333mhz then at 2133mhz(tested v) it is 1.65v. So people may assume that XMP is setting voltages wrong when in reality they didn't pay attention to specs or they have the wrong profile selected in XMP. .

There are also 2133mhz kits at 1.5v as though like this one

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m2a2133c10.html

One other thing to watch is that with the new platforms you choose modules that are XMP1.3 certified. Those willl set the ram to the allowable tolerances if aplicable You also have to remember that with modules that are huge in the OC that also voids the CPU warranty anyway. And really high speeds are not always going to be attainable with regular voltages.

When in doubt check the Corsair site and if that kit is not on that site call CS for confirmation.

For the vast majority XMP works quite well, but there are those rare occasions where certain Mb just don't like it and work perfectly set-up manually.

Believe it or not there are tons of first time builders (more than ever) and they just don't know any better. XMP is a simple way for them to get into overclocking with the click of a mouse..And you also have those new users that buy 2400mhz Dominators because their Mb supports it but don't understand that the CPU plays a huge roll in that speed and get ticked when they cant reach those speeds. The first thingf they want to do is blame the memory when they have no clue about overclocking.

But back to the OP ASUS told him the RAM was wrong when in all reality it meets all the correct specs and is on Corsair list. so there should be no problem with the RAM.He just needs to figure out how to enable manual BIOS control and then I'm sure we can get him running where it should be.

Thanks to both of you but I have a solution now :) my seller was so nice to take the RAM back and ordered a 1866Mhz which is on the compatibily list of ASUS and corsair so it should work at least on that speed :D The 2133 was running how I wrote at 1600 from the bios but in 1333 under windows as I tested it... After all I am happy that it goes now the easy way for me and I lost just a couple of bugs and not 60 of the RAM, coz he could say I dont take it back it was in use and ur fault...

So thank you a lot and have a nice one

Thanks to both of you but I have a solution now :) my seller was so nice to take the RAM back and ordered a 1866Mhz which is on the compatibily list of ASUS and corsair so it should work at least on that speed

It doesn't matter, it is still going to be dependent on your CPU if you can run that speed or not.

The 2133 was running how I wrote at 1600 from the bios but in 1333 under windows as I tested it.

I'mpossible. If it's running at 1600mhz in your BIOS it should show the same in windows.

Bottom line is you need to figure out how to get manual control of your BIOS settings and even if the RAM was wrong(which it wasn't) that has no effect over the BIOS being put into manual mode.

Just a question, why my CPU should be the lmitation? In taht case an H77 Board makes no sence at all with RAM above 1600MhZ because noone putts a k processor on it. coz for that u need Z77 boards... If that is realy a fact, that my CPU is the limitation than the board vendors are just cheating the people with it. damn the 1866 has the correct xmp file but cant load it and manual it dont give :D that freaks me out.

Your CPU contains the IMC Integrated Memory Controller. This natively supports 1600 if its Ivy and 1333 if its Sandy. Higher mem frequencies are overclocking which is never guaranteed. You need to try manual settings and this may entail voltage adjustments to achieve an overclocked memory frequency. No one is cheating. If your board and CPU are unable to maintain the native speeds, then you are entitled to an RMA.

If XMP is setting voltage to 1.65v on sets that are supposed to be 1.5v then the RAm is wrong.

Somewhat disagree. Some mainboard BIOS's are reading the profiles incorrectly & setting the wrong X.M.P. voltages for example. Contacting the mainboard manufacturer with the necessary information can result in a BIOS revision being developed that resolves that problem. Unfortunately, manufacturers don't always have every RAM stick made to test on their boards to duplicate these issues.

You also have to remember that with modules that are huge in the OC that also voids the CPU warranty anyway. And really high speeds are not always going to be attainable with regular voltages.

Partially false. RAM speed in itself is not going to void the warranty. Mainboards that set too high of voltages by misreading the profiles (or manually by the end user) & the CPU gets damaged because of it would then void the warranty in that case.

True. High RAM speeds are not always going to be attainable, however, a RAM maker (or mainboard maker) that forces voltages beyond published or industry recognized maximums by profile manipulation or other means would be doing the pc world at large a disservice if permanent damage is the result that voids a warranty. Manual setting of any voltages above & beyond absolute maximums resulting in component failures, all bets are off. Not sure if Intel still has it, but they for awhile offered a small fee 'no fault' policy on their CPU's even if it pops under extreme OC conditions. Now that's a rather innovative approach! :):

OK, my CPU is without a K so I cant overclock it in the normal way but so far I wrote 4.3 GhZ would be possible even with the multiplicators fixed but the CPU I dont care. The mainboard supports up to 2400MhZ, the funny thing is 1600MhZ run fine :) But I cant load any XMP profile or set anything manuel even when the description in the BIOS shows me :D What now realy nerves is, that I bought not a K model of CPU because overclocking the CPU I dont need and I from the boardside I should be able to run RAM on a higher speed, coz that they write ;) and I would just like to get that 5% more power out of the GPU. The difference in the price ar 15% on the whole PC what I dont care but I thought I dont need it. So I will go with 1600MhZ ram now and if my mum needs next year a pc I give it to her and buy me a haswell with a K processor and Z board. damn

It does sound like your present system has a few shortcomings for what you want to accomplish in regards to CPU & RAM speed. Please keep this in mind, IMHO, RAM speed is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to any real noticeable performance gains other than maybe some benchmark scores. CPU speed rules in that regard. 1600 RAM speed should work well for you. :):

Thanks Hu16E, of course I know that. But I am still a bit like a boy in that case and want to get all out of it :D so far it will work fine. Maybee im just a bit down coz I havent spent the 150 bugs for the k processor and z mainbioard :D I know it will work for my bit multimedia and office word and I dont will see the differences but it would be nice to have MORE POWER :D anyway, thanx to you all - great forum here with fast response....

Archived