Corsair Community

Firmware update fails

feline1

Hi,

I have a Corsair Neutron GTX SSD as my Windows C: drive.

I've got the most recent version of Corsair SSD Toolbox installed.

And I'm trying to use it to update the Neutron's firmware (it's currently got M206)

When I try to run the update, it downloads it (M208), warns me to back up the drive, then just says Firmware update failed.

No reasons, no apologies, no explanation. Just FAIL. :laughing:

Any suggestions?

I see a similar thread on this topic was locked by the forum moderators because people had the temerity to be annoyed that the Corsair Toolbox didn't work!

As suggested on that thread, I managed to find a download of the old v1.0 of the Corsair Toolbox, and tried updating my drive's firmware with that.

The first time, it crashed Windows and I had to use my Microsoft Windows installation DVD to repair Windows 8.1 so I could boot again /rollseyes/

The second time, the update hung for about half an hour then declared it had failed.

I'm not trying a third time ;)

So, for me, v1.0 of the toolbox didn't provide a fix.

Ok so I have two Corsair Neutron GTX SSD (240GB) and I run windows 8.1 latest updates etc. One is for windows, one is for data only.

I installed the toolbox and I get the same issue as OP. Says I should update, run update, please backup, update fails.

No error code, no nothing.

What's wrong?

If you make a toolbox and suggest I should update my firmware please make sure your toolbox is working, or just remove the option.

I would also suggest you make a log file so we may know whatever happened and forward it to you, if it's a connectivity issue (firewall?) or a file missing on your servers or just a random error.

would any of that actually help though? :p

I have a Gigabyte MoBo from about 5 years ago, with Native SATA (intel chipset, I think) and the latest BIOS. Don't see what that's got to do with the Corsair Toolbox being so totally FAIL about everything. Most uninformative error message ever.

From the past, yes it has helped some users to update their firmware.

You could also try the SATAII ports as well.

Are you experiencing any problems with the SSD? If not, i wouldn't really suggest spending time to update the firmware unless you are experiencing issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, I am helping a friend diagnose a problem with his PC and I believe the problem is with the SSD drive. The drive in question is a Corsair Neutron S/N 12337908000018020396 Firmeware version M206 240GB. There are a number of problems but some of the more common are the bios not recognising the drive at boot time. Usually a cold boot fixes that problem. Periodic Blue screens at random times, or screen lockups.

As some background, I build custom computers for both business's, web hosting companies and individual people. I have been playing on computers since 1969 and regular computer builds since around the late 1980's early 1990. I have probably put together a couple hundred and trouble shoot twice that many. I am not new to finding and fixing problems.

For this problem I have gone through all the usual things such as stress testing the processor and memory. Changed motherboards and power supplies. I am now down to this SSD. I have downloaded both the version 1.2 and 1.0 toolbox, both which fail to upgrade the firmware on the original PC (running through the motheboards sata system) and on my personal PC through a thermaltake hard drive/sata box that runs via USB.

The system can run okay for periods of time but eventually locks or dies and it occurs far too often to put up with it. It is a rare day when the system can run for a days gaming or surfing.

Both versions of toolbox recgonise the SSD drive and both run okay up until you ask it to download and install the firmware. Both versions download the firmware and immediately fail giving the message, "Firmware update failed." There is almost zero time from when the firmware downloads and the message comes up. That tells me there is a problem with the upgrade software that it either cannot initialise something in the SSD drive or start the upgrade write to the SSD. It does not start the overwrite and then fail. It fails immediately.

The bottom line is neither version of toolbox will upgrade the firmware, and with the bios not recognising the SSD at times, I have to think the SSD is no good without that firmware upgrade. What would you like me to do from this point?

I expect that most people who cannot use Toolbox 1.2 will not have any more success with version 1.0 so do not kill yourself trying to find it out there. For most of you the process will start and then you will see it hesitate a short while when it downloads the new firmware file. In that case it is going out to one of Corsairs sites, or possibly the LSI site who makes the firmware and getting the newest version of the firmware. Then it should start a short writing process but this is where the program will fail for most people and the program will immediately go from the download portion to "Fail". In most cases I believe it is failing to initialise some software in toolbox or on the SSD drive and you are dead in the water. If it fails to initialise under the most current version 1.2xxx then it will also fail under the older process in version 1.0 or 1.1. I sort of doubt that people have been successful in getting the version 1.0 to work if the version 1.2 did not.

Good luck guys. Mine is going back for a reflash.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB with firmware 306. I had the same issue with update fails. No details, can't find a log. I did eventually get it to flash by removing it from the laptop and plugging it in USB using a SATA-to-USB adapter. MAKE SURE YOU PERFORM A BACKUP FIRST..... and ALWAYS!

Try #1: Booted up on Windows 10 64-bit with drive as AHCI: FAILED immediately

Try #2: Removed drive from laptop and connected to another Windows 10 64-bit as eSATA using AHCI: FAILED immediately.

Try#3: Same as Try #2, Windows 10 64-bit, but using a USB-to-SATA adapter: Ran through the progress bar then came up "FAILED". The drive was inaccessible. I let it sit for 60 seconds, and the drive became re-accessible. Then I waited another 60 seconds and power cycled the drive. It came up as firmware 311, upgraded from 306. I call it successful!

I hope this helps.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived