Corsair Community

800D Airflow

LucidFir

Hello forum

I've been looking through the forums and found some good information on this, but I'm just looking for some clarification and confirmation...

I have an 800D set up with what it came with fan wise, and inside I have a phenom ii 965 and an hd5850. I wish to keep it cooler so I can play for long periods of time, primarily it is my graphics card getting hot.

Having looked around, is the following a good idea?

- Rear fan as intake, 3x120mm as exhaust, fans with better cfm to replace supplied ones, and something like a pci exhaust to help the graphics card out?

If this is the way forward, do fans with dust filters built in exist so I don't suck dust in, and basically can anyone give me recommendations -

feeling a bit lost on this, bought the case pretty much for it's looks :P seems it'd be better with water cooling but i'm paranoid and lack insurance

frozencpu.com has fans with filters.

I found my cards were running a bit too hot for my liking so I broke down and bought a 180mm variable speed fan (Silverstone) with filter and now am pumping a ton of cool air in right on my cards. I could not find any better solution unless I took the side cover off.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9642/fan-606/Silverstone_FM181_180_x_180_x_32mm_Variable_Speed_High_Performance_Fan_500-1300RPM_SST-FM181.html?id=6ysSPraL&mv_pc=195

Optional filter http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9998/ffi-46/Silverstone_180mm_Fan_Grill_and_Filter.html?id=6ysSPraL&mv_pc=239#blank

cool thanks

I've tried putting an extra exhaust on roof and clearing the cables from intake fan, hasn't changed much as far as i can see, and now the case is a little loud for my liking.

i shall buy a load of replacement high cfm low noise fans i guess and see what happens

i'm a little unsure as to the rule on talking about other products, as i have seen some mentioned... also corsair hasn't got any competition for this so delete this comment if necessary;

does anyone know if the lian li bs80 is any good? i've read reviews of the other pci exhaust fans which say they're generally good... but they're also ugly, the bs80 looks good and would go with case... also one thing i can't work out, do i put it pci exhausts above or below the gfx? might move gfx down a slot and put an exhaust above it...

thanks for help

frozencpu.com has fans with filters.

I found my cards were running a bit too hot for my liking so I broke down and bought a 180mm variable speed fan (Silverstone) with filter and now am pumping a ton of cool air in right on my cards. I could not find any better solution unless I took the side cover off.

I solved my problem by creating a new window with a 140mm fan:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=440063&postcount=24

mmn... I kind of want the case to look as it does at the moment.

do you think it would be worth my getting a load of yate loon fans and a fan controller to pump air through?

and perhaps get a pci exhaust fan to help out the graphics card?

would that work at all? or should i do just case fans or just the exhaust? main thing is cooling the graphics

do you think it would be worth my getting a load of yate loon fans and a fan controller to pump air through?

/QUOTE]

I keep reading everywhere that (1) People like Yate Loons for their performance AND their relatively low price BUT (2) you can't use Yate Loons mounted horizontally, meaning you can't use them on the top of the 800D/700D case.

So my "stooopid" question. :o: Why not? What bad thing will happen if someone does use these Y-L fans mounted horizontally? Will the overclocking gods strike me dead and force my i7-920 to run at .02 Ghz? :D:

x509

and perhaps get a pci exhaust fan to help out the graphics card?

would that work at all? or should i do just case fans or just the exhaust? main thing is cooling the graphics

That's what your going to have to decide. There is a lot of cubic inches inside the 800D. In order to cool down or get rid of heat, ya have to exchange the total air volume probably several times/minute. Calculate the cases' total volume and proposed fans CFM and see how many air changes per minute you get. As you know it also becomes a noise vs air volume ratio, what is your tolerance.

I personally don't care what my case looks like because I'm the only one that sees it. I about go and not show. Won't find any bling bling in my case but that's what all the kids seem to go gaga over.

Fair enough - I bought 'cos it looked good and I thought it'd be good quality... I've had an object lesson in how airflow works :D I feel a need to defend my honour and state I'm not a fan of LEDs...

Anyway, I'm not particularly knowledgeable on modding. How easy is it to change the window, and is there someone I can get to ship me one modded (neatly) to fit a 140mm fan? If that's the only effective solution then it's the route I'll take...

The window is acrylic I believe but I do know it is brittle, cracks very easily. I will eventually change mine out for Lexan.

I do not know of anyone to mod the window for you. I used a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel and it went pretty good, slow but good.

Lay the fan on the window where you want it and mark a circle for the fan ID on it. Maybe could get a high school shop teacher to cut it out or a machine shop?

I think that you are on the right track. The stock fans are marginal at best. I have replaced all the stock fans and added 3 fans at the top. The top fans do not have to be high speed if you use 3.

I am running a 965 with a 5770 video card and a H50 CPU cooler with 2 fans in push/pull blowing in.

One thing that I did that I think helps air flow for cooling the case if you add exhaust fans at the top is to block off the holes at the top of the back of the case. I used magnetic mat to do this. My thinking on this is that the fans are sucking in air from the top with this area open and you do not get good flow from bottom to top.

Also you might look at upgrading you stock cooler on the video card as some of them are not very good. Also get you a good fan controller so you can play with the fan speed. I have mine on one that controls the speed of the fans based on temperature sensors.

Hello forum

I've been looking through the forums and found some good information on this, but I'm just looking for some clarification and confirmation...

I have an 800D set up with what it came with fan wise, and inside I have a phenom ii 965 and an hd5850. I wish to keep it cooler so I can play for long periods of time, primarily it is my graphics card getting hot.

Having looked around, is the following a good idea?

- Rear fan as intake, 3x120mm as exhaust, fans with better cfm to replace supplied ones, and something like a pci exhaust to help the graphics card out?

If this is the way forward, do fans with dust filters built in exist so I don't suck dust in, and basically can anyone give me recommendations -

feeling a bit lost on this, bought the case pretty much for it's looks :P seems it'd be better with water cooling but i'm paranoid and lack insurance

you say your card is getting hot....how hot is it getting?

swapping the rear 120 to an intake is useless as the top exhaust fans just suck the air right out.

are you using the bottom intake fan?

About 70 degrees seems to be the limit (I check by having GPU fan running, playing Dragon Age for a few hours, then quickly minimising to check it). XFX say this is within normal operating temperatures, but I'd still prefer if everything was running at like 40 degrees... surely that's better for the components? I'm going to try moving it down, it seems to me that the air right above it gets really hot - so hopefully giving a bigger space above it will be useful.

Oh and what did you block the top vent with, any ideas for doing it without it looking shoddy?

Rouge I think the 800D lacks sufficient cooling the rear fan spins @ about1000 rpm which isn't much which the other 2 fans it has are pretty much the same. I have the same case I had to utilize 3 of the 5.25" bay for a fan to drawhttp://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/008/sckb1000_detail.html filtered air in & on top the first two 120mm fan to draw filtered air in and the last 120 mm fan to help with extraction which petty much sits above the heatsink area. you'll need to experiment with fan configurations in order to get sufficient airflow . Also I found the spacing of the 120mm fans on top to be insufficient if you use Rubber Vibration Damper you'll need to remove one side of the damper in order for each fan to be mounted. otherwise you'll have a lot of noise and vibration, hum from the case. I found that the intake fan that draws air from below is week at best and any air flow that reaches inside is then sucked in by the VGA cards no benefit for the RAM or the Heatsink cooler ,all the 120 mm fans push at least 70 cfm of air hope this helps

cheers :)

Could someone give me a little guidance on having loads of fans plugged in and the best way controlling their speed?

If I get that 3 bay fan, I have no room for a fan controller - and then I have to have all but 3 of my fans powered by 4 pin molex... also I don't particularly wish to have a pci slot controller as at some point I want a second graphics card (possibly).

Any ideas? perhaps there is some form of fan controller I can leave in the case... or something that will control them based on internal temperature would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post here, I have a 800D with the following fan setup:

Bottom intake: 140mm Corsair

Rear fan as intake: 140mm Corsair

Roof as exhaust: 120mm x 3 (44CFM each)

This setup works quite well, but I’m planning to buy a new CPU cooler, and that cooler exhaust the hot air in the direction of the case rear fan location, so I’m thinking to buy a high output fan (140 CFM) to the rear fan location in my case and use to exhaust the hot air, and the 3 x 120mm in the roof will be used as intake fans. My plan is to create a positive pressure case.

The fan setup would be as follows:

Rear as exhaust: 140mm high output (140CFM)

Roof as intake: 120mm x 3 (44CFM each) with dust filters.

The future CPU Fan will be exhausting the hot air in direction of the 140mm rear exhaust, so the heat of de CPU will be exhausted efficiently.

Do you think that this fan setup will work?

Hi, this is my first post here, I have a 800D with the following fan setup:

Rear fan as intake: 140mm Corsair

Roof as exhaust: 120mm x 3 (44CFM each)

This setup works quite well, but I’m planning to buy a new CPU cooler, and that cooler exhaust the hot air in the direction of the case rear fan location, so I’m thinking to buy a high output fan (140 CFM) to the rear fan location in my case and use to exhaust the hot air, and the 3 x 120mm in the roof will be used as intake fans. My plan is to create a positive pressure case.

The fan setup would be as follows:

Rear as exhaust: 140mm high output (140CFM)

Roof as intake: 120mm x 3 (44CFM each) with dust filters.

The future CPU Fan will be exhausting the hot air in direction of the 140mm rear exhaust, so the heat of de CPU will be exhausted efficiently.

Do you think that this fan setup will work?

It's certainly worth giving it a shot.

My instincts always go towards working with physics in that heat rises so exhaust out the top.

Let us know how it works. ;):

Mmn, well - I tried having my desk fan facing into the computer (side off) a few days ago, lowest setting - must be a good amount of CFM off of that. GPU temps were reading about 3 degrees cooler (I usually see it about 65-75 and I was seeing it 63-70). Think it might just be my GPU running it's fans slowly, need to install speedfan and turn them up a notch

Thanks for the prompt answers, I know that the hot air rises, that's why I'm hesitating about that setup. Other option that could work, would be leave everything as is now, but use the high RPM fan in the rear as an intake, and find the way to place the fan on the tower cpu cooler (I’m thinking on a 212 Plus) to suck the fresh air provided by the 140mm from the rear fan location and exhust in the area where the 3 x 120mm in the roof are sucking the air to exhaust.. Whith this setup, the pyshics are ok, its even cheaper for me, because the filter for de 140mm is smaller than a 3 x 120mm filter. Anyway, whatever I do, I first have to order the parts from the US, because I live in Paraguay, South America, and here cooling products, even 140mm fans are really hard to find, that means that I have to wait a few weeks until the products reach here. I’m asking about this, in the case if anyone has tried something similar, or have results.

Thanks for the advices.

Mmn, well - I tried having my desk fan facing into the computer (side off) a few days ago, lowest setting - must be a good amount of CFM off of that. GPU temps were reading about 3 degrees cooler (I usually see it about 65-75 and I was seeing it 63-70). Think it might just be my GPU running it's fans slowly, need to install speedfan and turn them up a notch

Mi XFX, with the room temp of about 80ºF, hits 82ºc, playing COD Modern Warfare 2, with the fan in auto mode. This temperature decreases as the room is cooled with air conditioning, you could put the fan in manual mode and set the speed yourself, I do this using the Ati Catalyst software.

Archived