Corsair Community

H150i cooler with Phanteks Halo lux digital?

Hello everyone. As this is my first post here and I feel i'm way out of my depth with all this Corsair RGB madness, I beg you all to not hammer me too much. :biggrin:

I've been saving and buying a new PC build for nearly a year now and I'm nearly at the end....just need the case and some RGB products.

I bought the H150i cooler last month to go into my Phanteks Evolv X case and this will all be bolted to my MSI Z270 Gaming M7 MB. I originally wanted a black/red theme but seeing as the MB has Mystic light RGB built in, I figured why don't I go full RGB on fans and LED strips too!

Using 3x 140mm fans (2 roof, 1 rear) and 3x front fans (supplied with H150i cooler)..

(All fans will have Phanteks digital Halo Lux fan shrouds fitted)

My questions are:

1. I want to keep the Corsair fans provided with the H150i and fit 3x Phanteks Halo Lux digital frames to these fans. Will they work with the CoPro or the Lighting Node Pro? I do know they are 3 pin and digital.

2. If the Phanteks Digital Halos work with CoPro/Lighting Node Pro, will they work with the I-Cue software?

3. If none of the above will work with the I-cue software, then I may as well just scrap the Phanteks Halo Lux digitals in favour of all Corsair fans.....this leads me onto my next question:

4. Which will be the best Corsair RGB fans for my set up? ie, Do I use ML / LL or SP fans for the H150i Cooler?

I understand that most people here are hardcore Corsair fans and will want to tell me to only fit Corsair products. I get that, but I can't as I'm not building a Corsair ECO system.

I Love Corsair products and the Corsair stuff I have bought so far are:

Peripherals;

Corsair MM800 RGB

Corsair ST100 RGB

Corsair K70 Lux RGB

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Inside case;

Corsair HX750i

Corsair H150i Pro RGB

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz.

I just want to make the most of the RGB capability in my system using the Phanteks Evolv X case.

Any help or guidance will be greatly received.

Thankyou.

1) I don't see any reason why the frames wouldn't work. They just go over the fan body. Will they work with the CoPro or NoPro? Only with a 3rd party adapter.

2) With the 3rd party adapter, you need to "fake it" in iCue. You'll need to configure iCue based on the total number of LEDs. So control may be a little wonky. Also, the Halos won't be individually addressable or configurable - they'll be duplicated (they have daisy-chain connectors to allow this). There's nothing that you can do about this; it's the design of the Halos themselves.

3) That's up to you.

4) I'd stay away from the SP-RGB fans. In fact, you won't be able to control the speed of the SP-RGB fans from the cooler's fan controller. You can use HD, ML or LL fans on that radiator. All will work fine it's more a question of lighting vs. noise vs ...

The adapters are here: https://www.ebay.com/str/piratedogtech.

One thing to be aware (and careful) of - the 120mm Halo Digital frames have 30 LEDs each. That means that you can only safely put two of them on a single LNP channel. If you want to power all three from a single channel, you'll need to use a Corsair RGB LED Fan Hub, which will power up to 120 LEDs safely.

The Halos themselves can be daisy-chained. However, unlike the Corsair fans, they won't be individually controllable (and this is no matter how you do it) because if how they are designed. Instead, they'd all of the same (duplicated) signal.

Thanks Dev for helping me out here...

Pardon me for being a bit thick but after looking at the link to the adapters, I'm now rather confused by it all.

So let me tell you how I see it and you can all laugh and then set me straight...:confused:

Just working with the 120mm Corsair supplied H150i fans, I plan to do the following:

MSI Z270 Gaming M7 board which has a 4 pin 12v RGB header.....connect to that the following cable adaptor....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corsair-RGB-to-JST-Addressable-RGB-Adapter/372551535271?hash=item56bdcd4aa7:m:me8mpAey-z_jyZnTsBD2DZg&var=641330262522

(To be clear, the above link should be to a Corsair RGB to JST Addressable RGB Adapter with the drop down to a..'RGB LED Fan hub (4 pin) cable'.)

At the other end of the said cable will be a CoPro...connected to a LNP (Lighting Node Pro?)..connected to a Corsair RGB LED Fan Hub..connected to the Phanteks Halo LUX Digital x3?

Did I get that right :ummmm: or did I completely balls it up!? :dunno:

All the hours of research on RGB in my potential system is starting to give me a complete headache!

I already RMA'd £110 worth of Phanteks Halos last week because after I bought them I then found out that Phanteks do two types! Normal RGB Halos (4 pin) and Digital RGB Halos (3 pin) :damnit:

I don't want to have to do that again as it cost me £15 in return postage!

First, the adapters only work with the Digital RGB Halos. Yeah, I found out the same thing the same hard way.

Second, do not put them or any Corsair RGB items into the 4-pin header on your motherboard. That 4-pin header is 12V. The addressable RGB is 5V. Pushing 12V through a 5V LED doesn't have a good outcome.

Now, the 120mm Halos have 30 LEDs each. So ... you can only put two of them on a single LNP or CP lighting channel (3-pin). So you'd need to split them across 2 different Lighting Channels (consuming the entire LNP/CP's channels and using 2 3-pin adapters) or you can use a Corsair RGB Fan Hub to power them using a single 4-pin adapter.

That'd get you to 90 LEDs on the fan hub. You'd configure it as 3 RGB strips (which is 30 LEDs) and they'd all have identical effects.

First, the adapters only work with the Digital RGB Halos. Yeah, I found out the same thing the same hard way.

Second, do not put them or any Corsair RGB items into the 4-pin header on your motherboard. That 4-pin header is 12V. The addressable RGB is 5V. Pushing 12V through a 5V LED doesn't have a good outcome.

Now, the 120mm Halos have 30 LEDs each. So ... you can only put two of them on a single LNP or CP lighting channel (3-pin). So you'd need to split them across 2 different Lighting Channels (consuming the entire LNP/CP's channels and using 2 3-pin adapters) or you can use a Corsair RGB Fan Hub to power them using a single 4-pin adapter.

That'd get you to 90 LEDs on the fan hub. You'd configure it as 3 RGB strips (which is 30 LEDs) and they'd all have identical effects.

I fully understand the difference between the older 4 pin 12v RGB and the newer 'digital' 3pin 5v RGB. Thanks for clearing that up.

So, if I can't plug the CP or the LNP into the 4 pin header on the MB, where do I plug them in?

One things for sure, I'm not interested in the full Rainbow theme. My original plan was to go all black/Red and have all Halos on all 6 fans coloured RED.

Configure the H150i Pro in I-cue to run the RGB in 'Temperature mode'.

Have the Motherboard RGB set to static RED.

Have the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro running in I-cue and set to 'Temperature mode' (same as the CPU cooler).

Not sure if the last one is even possible? Failing that, just have it static RED or slow changing 'RAINBOW' mode.

If trying to configure the Halos is going to be awkward, then if I were to buy 6 Corsair RGB fans.....how would I connect them to my system?

The part of this I'm struggling with is the connection between CP and LNP and my main board/Phanteks Evolv X case???

It's pointless spending loadsa money on RGB fans if they won't RGB sync OR communicate in I-cue on my system.

What would you suggest is the best plan of attack?

Archived