Corsair Community

Obsidian 550D case form factor

CalamityJake

Hi guys,

I have an Asus P9X79 WS motherboard which is listed as form factor CEB and was looking a case for it. I really like 550D but was wondering if i could fit my mobo in there (CEB is slightly bigger on one side than ATX). It also looks really hard to find cases that state CEB is supported in their specs. Thanks!

I am interested about this fact too. I don't have WS right now, but my current case won't support High end graphic cards and since my 3870x2 fan just died im looking case that can fit asus WS series motherboards (CEB form factor), high end graphic card and long PSU. RV03 fails in PSU appartment, imo case looks horrible, and my last case from that company wasn't too positive experience...

I would of course rathter have Full tower case, but it seems i can't find one that would be just right. 550D as full tower would meet my needs perfectly, but i might still consider buying 550D if it supports CEB motherboards which require more space for height.

Answer

It kind of works Here is picture of 550D with maximus extreme (x38) (which is 0.1" wider than CEB) This was sold as ATX board so Corsair PLEASE add maximum motherboard dimensions

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=12-P62j7YWYAaPBvrdWBo6pEJgKzLFNDoLp69jslGSZA

as you can see from second picture, i had to bend board a bit to get lower cables connected. I had 2 types of cables and i would imagine that you could actually be able to use all sata ports with out bending CEB board by using cables with shorter head. Since mine was just a bit too wide i wasn't able to do that.

If you have to bend the board like i did, don't put any screws on last "column" so that bend isn't too sudden and i would recomend that you add screws first on places near pci slots.

• 2 weeks later...

Since no-one at the corsair wants to comment on this i presume that they made fatal error with their design. This is because corsair wanted to place motherboard lower + have rounded lower parts edges. I am quite sure that ceb board wont fit because lower corner of board hits the rounded corner. If they made lowered part with 90 degreed angel and not round ones ceb moards should have fitted.

This question has been asked in multiple forums... even in those that corsair representatives actually answers questions, but for some reason they haven't answered this one.

"CEB Form Factor - 12 inch x 10.5 inch"

... very close to EATX ...

Even though it seems that some/many have fit larger boards into the Corsair ATX cases (w/ or w/o slight mods) ... :cool:

... find it interesting that the Corsair line has only 1 case actually spec'd for EATX boards ... :sigh!:

... seems kinda' limiting to me - but maybe, more true EATX Corsair cases to come ??

yeah... what annoys me is that it would have been very small change, nothing that would imo justify this decision. Hopefully im wrong and Ceb boards will actually fit. Still if i had more time to spent on gaming, i would probably go with other case because of uncertainty. Since i actually don't have that much time with in few months i am going to wait and see. Corsair could at least publish the dimensions of motherboards that fit in this case =/

EATX: 12 × 13 in

CEB: 12 × 10.5 in

ATX: 12 × 9.6 in

It is very close to ATX (under 1 in difference).

Sorry 'bout that - was just going off my M4E-Z's EATX spec's ...

M4E-Z :"Extended ATX Form Factor

12 inch x 10.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 26.9 cm )"

Sorry 'bout that - was just going off my M4E-Z's EATX spec's ...

M4E-Z :"Extended ATX Form Factor

12 inch x 10.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 26.9 cm )"

Don't worry about it =), i can't remember them either ;):. Kinda odd that Asus didn't choose 12 x 10.5 Ceb with M4E-Z though, but seeing the actual board which is literally full of stuff maybe they didn't have a choice. I my self am happy owner of Maximus extreme (x38) and definitively would consider buying same series board. At the moment though i have my eye on WS series, for which i need At least Ceb case.

• 2 weeks later...

Why doesn't Corsair respond to such a simple request? How about just putting the max MB dimensions on the specifications page for the 550D?

So, will a 12 x 10.6 motherboard fit in the 550D without blocking the SATA ports?

• 3 weeks later...

Me too I am trying to figure out if I can get a Rampage III BE mobo in this case (550D). I need this case because of the outside dimensions (it should fit in my desk). The Rampage III BE I have already, the case comes next.

I'm very pleased with Corsair (Ram, PSU, LC, Case) and would like to use this case as well. I'm not sure, however if this is going to work. I photoshopped the mobo in the case but, as you can see at the arrow, are the stand-offs high enough for the motherboard to not touch the corner of the recess in the backplate? Who has knowledge about this?

Anyone? :)

Regards!

I talked to a Corsair technician who told me the board won't fit. That's a pitty.

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2553/asusrampageiiibecorsair.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 3 weeks later...
Hi I have this case too, bought it before looking at the dimensions. I am too looking at the WS board, I think that I will order the WS board then mod the case if need be: it would be, in my opinion, a relatively easy mod. You just have to cut into the metal to make it 90 degrees, OR bang the crap out of it and flatten it. If you need this case, or spent a month picking this case, before anything else, then you will find a way! I will post back with a link to my mod/build when the time comes. I have the exact measurements of the motherboard pan (my measurements of an actual case): 12 1/4 inch by 10 3/8 right to the place where the arrow is on the above photo. I think you COULD raise the board off the pan a bit, but I think then you will have to do something to the expansion slots??? I will report back maybe in a week when I build for anyone who's still interested. Thanks and good luck.

one more thing..can you guys who said you want the WS board tell me what won you over with that model? I have battled between that WS, the Deluxe (better power stages?); and Sabertooth (just because it's priced well and has firewire and a 5 year warranty) and the Rampage IV (4way Sli like the WS but I am not a mad OC'er was thinking re-sale in a year or 2 when I want to upgrade would be good for this and WS with the true 4 way SLI, the plethora of USB, and the 4 Sata iii ports...) - what was the deciding factor? I do need firewire, 4-5 PCI-e, and more than 2 sata iii is ideal but not a necessary as I dont have a grand to spend on SSD's (I have 1)

UPDATE: just looked at my case again, if you are handy with a drill and have a 3/8" or tapered drill bit, you could remove the back panel and drill out a recessed area in the rounded corner for the board to sit. Alternatively, and I have not put a board in to try this, you could MAYBE use some kind of rubber washer as a spacer on the ATX holes to raise the board up past the recessed tray, whether the cards will line up with the slots or whether your i/o shield would be alright with this approach I think depends on the exact board you are using, I prefer the drilling method. if you do it nicely, it might even look like it's supposed to be part of the design.

@reeltape

The thing that made me decide on WS was 7 pci-e slots. I don't need legacy i/o´s like pci slots. I am not planning on buying seven pci-e cards, but having seven 16x slots might come in handy, at least more likely than having slots for legacy cards or having some smaller 1x pci-e slots. I have used asus motherboards long time, and never had problems (always with intel chipsset never nforce) so i think all of your choices are good.

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for this posting. I brought the Rampage iv extreme and the Corsair Obsidian 550D, not releasing the incompatibility.

In the end I cut chunks out of the case to make it fit, I also feel that the fit down the rear of the motherboard is alittle too tight against the case.

For photo's of my build can be found here

Archived