Corsair Community

Padlock 2 Red Light Blinking

hieric

Hi, all,

I just got a new 8GB PADLOCK2 and played with all the features. After I tried to test the hacking detection with 5 unsuccessful user PIN entry, the red light first blinked for 2mins as told in the manual. Then, I can input the correct PIN and use it. However, after I played with it several times, the lock seems to be enabled and falls into a deadlock. Now the red light just blinks for around 20 seconds and then it is off. And whenever I press the key button, the red light will blink again for another 20 seconds and then off.

I've also tried to press 'Key' and '0/1' simultaneously to reset the device, but still immediately after I press the key, the red light starts to blink for 20 seconds. The green light is always off.

Can anyone tell me how to solve the problem?

Thanks,

Eric

In my last post question, I mentioned I found an unknown problem with repeatedly short blinking of red led lights. Now, I think I've found the reason.

To repeat the following procedures you may also get the same issue:

1. Try 5 wrong pins.

2. Wait for 2 mins after the red LEF flashes turned off as specified in the manual.

3. Try another 5 wrong pins.

4. At this time, the red LED will only flash for around 20 seconds (I've timed it) and then off.

But, after this whenever I tried to unlock the device by starting to press 'key' button, the red LED will start to flash for another 20 seconds and then off. I've wait for a while, and tried it again and observed the same thing. I've even tried to use master reset 'press key and 0/1 for 3 seconds' but no response.

Can anyone tell me how to unlock my USB in my situation? Thanks a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem as hieric.

It's look like padlock2 USB not only lock during 2 minutes, but more longer more you try.

I have leave it all the night, and in the morning, it was possible to retry to unlock it, but without succes !

RAM Guy suggest using the "master pin ulock procedure"... off course ...

Nice idea, because I have setting one. But impossible to enter the master pin.

To doing it, the user manual and support page say:

"Double press KEY button. (Green and red LEDs will double blink)".

But double press do not do anything. Impossible to have the double blink.

So, as a last solution, I have try the security failure annouced by corsair to regain acces to my data:

http://www.corsair.com/padlockupdate

... but step 5 do not work: the red blinking led of the death come-back :[pouts:

Frustrating ! I am happy to have played with it like hieric, testing it before it fail when I really need it !

May be ESD discharges can unlock it ? ::pirate::

I would try again, because I don't want to loose my data with the "911" reset procédure.

The problem seems to be known by corsair.

A Faq tips could be usefull, as anybody will not automaticaly land on this forum.

• 2 years later...

Problem solved!!!

I also triggered several 2-minute-blocks by entering on purpose many wrong passcodes - and ran into the same issue as you described: the red LED kept flashing every time I tried to unlock the stick, so I couldn't unlock the stick any more even after waiting for more than one hour. After some time I gave up, believed that the stick is dead, and put the stick in the drawer.

Roughly two days later (I think it was actually a bit less than 2 days, don't know exactly) I tried unlocking again - and to my surprise it worked! I think the stick entered a special undocumented blocking mode that cannot be left earlier than after roughly two days (and not after just 2 minutes).

So if you encounter that behavior, try waiting for two days before unlocking!

• 9 months later...

Extended flashing lockout period occurs after 10 unsuccessful attempts to unlock the device. The lockout period is 12 hours. (which is why leaving it in your drawer for 2 days did the trick)

You can download the Corsair Padlock 2 manual from Corsair's page for the specifics of what happens after the 12 hour period if you mess up again, twice (...spoiler...it wipes).

THIS manual "http://www.corsair.com/~/media/Corsair/download-files/manuals/usb/CorsairPadlock_UserManual_EN.pdf"

---NOT-- this manual "http://www.corsair.com/media/cms/manual/PadlockUserManual.pdf" --It appears this manual was for an older version of the Padlock 2.

**I am posting to this dormant thread in the off-chance another poor soul does not have to call tech support to get the skinny. I called support, and they were great...just saving you a few steps**

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Please someone help. I've tried the steps outlined in the posts to no avail. The red light keeps blinking. There is a lot of hard work on that memory stick undertaken over the last couple of months and I really need to retrieve it. Thank you in advance - amethyst

Archived