Corsair Community

First build question about hooking up 500R fans.

soulweeper

Hi,

Brand new here, and I'm doing my first build, and very confused about how the fans hook up on the 500R case. Thanks to absolutely no instructions that actually do any good with this case, I have no idea, and hate to ask what will seem like a stupid question I'm sure, but it's my first build. I have the HX650 PSU, for whatever it's worth.

My understanding is all the case fans are connected to each other by 3 pins (I think) .. then they are all powered by the single molex. If that's true, the fans in this case aren't connected to each other. The connector for the rear fan is just hanging there, as is the one on the 200mm side fan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since Corsair couldn't explain anything in their "instructions". I know it's good stuff, and they've been very helpful on the phone before I purchased any of their products, but this sheet of paper that is supposed to be instructions is pretty lacking.Thanks in advance!

The side fan connects to the same wiring as the front fans (there should be a free socket in the bundle of wires coming from the front I/O panel). Then the 2 front fans and side fan are powered by the Molex connection and controlled from the switch on the front of the case. From memory I think the rear fan is independent and is powered straight off one of your motherboard headers or directly from the PSU via an adapter.

The side fan connects to the same wiring as the front fans (there should be a free socket in the bundle of wires coming from the front I/O panel). Then the 2 front fans and side fan are powered by the Molex connection and controlled from the switch on the front of the case. From memory I think the rear fan is independent and is powered straight off one of your motherboard headers or directly from the PSU via an adapter.

Yep......I finally figured it out. :)

Once I found out that the rear fan isn't controlled, it made more sense. I opened up the case and saw the connector for the big side fan and rear fan hanging there, I wasn't sure how it all hooked up. It's my first build, and after I realized how it all worked, felt kind of stupid, but hey, that's how ya learn.

Not to worry, it's much better to say you don't understand, than to just complain something doesn't work (except the complaint about the instructions is justified.)

You may have noticed the fan connectors for the three Corsair fans on the... fan controller (switch) use proprietary connectors that are not compatible with regular three pin fans. You won't be able to find fans with those connectors anywhere but the Corsair store. Just FYI to save you some grief in the future.

Not to worry, it's much better to say you don't understand, than to just complain something doesn't work (except the complaint about the instructions is justified.)

You may have noticed the fan connectors for the three Corsair fans on the... fan controller (switch) use proprietary connectors that are not compatible with regular three pin fans. You won't be able to find fans with those connectors anywhere but the Corsair store. Just FYI to save you some grief in the future.

Yep, I remember reading that about the fans and the proprietary connectors before I bought it, but thank you for reminding me! And it almost swayed me away from this case, but the reviews on it were great, especially cable management, and since it's my first build, I wanted to go as hassle free as possible. Even though I have nothing to compare it to, this case seems awesome to me. Even a couple experienced builder friends have told me that wiring is coming out excellent!

As far as the instructions........yeah, it's a case, and pretty straightforward, for the most part, but they could have thrown at least a few more sentences or so that could easily answer a few questions that a first time builder would most likely have, that's all. :):

Archived