Corsair Community

Windows doesn't boot on my Dell Studio 1558 after RAM upgrade

sebogabao

Hello,

I just decided to upgrade my Dell Studio 1558 laptop with a 8GB memory Kit (4GBx2) reference CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9. The memory size is recognized within the BIOS but I'm not able to start Windows. It just asks me if I want to repair it or start windows normally. Every time I try to start Windows normally it just reboots itself.

Mixing old and new memory modules does not work. Using only one memory module does not work either.

When using the old 4GB memory Kit (2GBx2), everything works fine. Yet, old and new memory are the same type: DDR3 PC3-10600. Also, running memtest on the new memory from a bootable USB stick crashes the computer after a couple of seconds while it works correctly on the old memory.

Thanks for your help.

Please try resetting the BIOS with JUST the new corsair modules installed and be sure there were no firmware or BIOS updates for that laptop and apply any that may be present.

You may also want to call DELL and see if these are compatible with your machine. DELL's are often pretty picky about aftermarket RAM so in this case it may be best to get it from themif you can not get them to boot correctly.

• Corsair Employee

Please run CPU-Z and post a screen shot of the CPU Tab.

If you have an older Core 2 or Core I3 CPU these modules will not work in your system, you will likely have to get the memory directly from Dell in that case. Sorry!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I just decided to upgrade my Dell Studio 1558 laptop with a 8GB memory Kit (4GBx2) reference CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9. The memory size is recognized within the BIOS but I'm not able to start Windows. It just asks me if I want to repair it or start windows normally. Every time I try to start Windows normally it just reboots itself.

Mixing old and new memory modules does not work. Using only one memory module does not work either.

When using the old 4GB memory Kit (2GBx2), everything works fine. Yet, old and new memory are the same type: DDR3 PC3-10600. Also, running memtest on the new memory from a bootable USB stick crashes the computer after a couple of seconds while it works correctly on the old memory.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Sebogabao!

I am glad I found your post, I have exactly the same problem. I have the Same laptop, bought the same Memory, tried the same stuff and had the same chrashs. Could you please Tell me, if you found some new information? Did you ask DELL?

Thanks, Jonny

• 11 months later...
Hello,

Thanks for your help.

Precisely the SAME problem I am facing. Really frustrating! Corsair website says the RAM is "guaranteed" compatible with our systems.

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/corsair_custom.aspx?sc=us&id=5354753

Please run CPU-Z and post a screen shot of the CPU Tab.

Here you go!

CPU.jpg.895e5fb05d78d1e5f15e67d73cd2f967.jpg

mainboard.jpg.0eeb8c706a2d366379b79fa754f94c8b.jpg

Yeah, I wish they would put a small disclaimer somewhere. There are SOME limitations depending on the sytem,CPU,ect.

I have uploaded the CPU-Z screenshots in my earlier post. Can you diagnose something from those screenshots? Any additional information you need?

Yeah, I wish they would put a small disclaimer somewhere. There are SOME limitations depending on the sytem,CPU,ect.

A disclaimer saying that their guarantee may not be valid? I don't think that's a precedent that Corsair would want to set.

To those of you who that are having problems, make sure you can get your money back from your vendor or from Corsair directly in the event your vendor won't work with you.

Originally posted by Jkeifer:

A disclaimer saying that their guarantee may not be valid? I don't think that's a precedent that Corsair would want to set.

Umm...No, I think you took that wrong. While for the most part hardware is standard and should work in most systems that use DDR3 memory. HOWEVER there are a lot of variables there. DELL, for one is known for being really picky with aftermarket memory. OEM's such as them,HP,Apple and others often stray away from such standards. The end result is hardware conflicts. I don't understand it myself, but I have seen DELL's that would run on nothing but DELL branded memory.:confused:

It's just impossible to be compatible with EVERY PC out there.

To those of you who that are having problems, make sure you can get your money back from your vendor or from Corsair directly in the event your vendor won't work with you.

If you purchase memory from a vendor other than Corsair, Corsair can not refund you money for that purchase. They would only RMA it.

I don't disagree with what you say regarding compatibility.

What I disagreed with was you suggesting that there should be a "small disclaimer" to Corsair's statement regarding "guaranteed compatibility" with systems they build memory for. Why not just come out and say "Corsair's memory may or may not be compatible with your system"?

Yes, you are right that Corsair would probably not refund money for memory they didn't sell. But to RMA the memory for the same incompatible memory wouldn't make much sense either would it?

• 1 year later...

The chipset on your motherboard only supports 4GB, there is no fix for this other than a new computer.

However, there is a solution for dramatically speeding up your system which I used for my system:

• install a SSD
  • switch to Windows 8 or 10 when it comes out

SSD's are really inexpensive now but go for a good brand like Corsair or Samsung Pro. Since you have Vista, Win10 will be free when it comes out. I'm running the preview and it works well. I plan to upgrade all my systems.

I've done both of these to my system and it was like getting a new computer.

For grins I tried Win8 on an old 1GHz Pentium with 1GB of RAM, a 100 GB hard drive and for general processes like web browsing and email, it flew. Note that my normal machine is a 6-core 3.6GHz Xeon with 40GB of RAM and 3 SSDs so I'm used to high performance systems.

Regarding the battery complaints, original Dell batteries are now available on Amazon. Bought mine from E-mall and this is the real thing, not a counterfeit and it cost $38.50 with free shipping in August 2014. Part number: 1535 1536 1537 PP33L PP39L 312-0701. Don't go for the lowest price, there are lots of fake batteries out there with much lower capacity.

Archived