Corsair Community

Abit AN/7 + XMS3205v1.1

kabanan

Abit AN7 + XMS3205v1.1

I just can't get my CMX256A-3200LL memory modules to work with my Abit AN7. They work great on my Epox 8rda+ so its not a memory error or fault.

The memory is labeled as 2-2-2-6 and when I set BIOS to use By SPD thats the settings I get, but they dont work. My local computershop where I bought the AN7 said I must reduce the latencies to 2-3-2-6 since that is what you at Corsair recommend.

So my question is: what latencies am I to expect from my memory? Should I use the lower ones even if its possible to use the higher ones in a different motherboard? The shop says I cant exhange my board for a different one.

Info on the memory:

CMX256A-3200LL, XMS3205v1.1, 0306039

XMS3200, 256MB, 400MHz, 2226-T1

The voltage is 2.7 volt. Increasing it doesnt help.

I would suggest setting the Rass to Cass to "3" and test the modules with http://www.memtest.org.

With tRCD set to 3 the board and memory seems to work. But I feel somewhat cheated since I once payed a lot of money to have the best performing memory there is around and now I have to manually "downgrade" them just because a particular motherboard wont work with them.

Other AN7 owners dont seem to have this problem, but since my dealer wont accept this as a RMA reason I'm stuck.

:[pouts:

When and why did the recommendation change from 2-2-2-6 to 2-3-2-6?

Because some MB's just would not run well with the Rass to Cass set to "2". And can you tell me the complete part# and revision of your modules?

This is all thats written on the memory modules sticker

Top row:

CMX256A-3200LL, XMS3205v1.1, 0306039

Bottom row:

XMS3200, 256MB, 400MHz, 2226-T1

Couldnt find any more info using Everest... ie no serial.

• Corsair Employee
You can test them in a Nforce 2 chipset or an Intel I875 based chipset and they will likely run at Cass 2-2-2-6 at 2.75 Volts. But we can try replacing them as well, but the modules you would get now would be set to Cass 2-3-2-6 and that was changed at the beginning of last year. 01 of 2004.

No need to change the RAM's. It was a heat related problem on the AN7. I removed the stock heatsink and noticed that the NB-chip was so concave that it only made contact in two corners and the silicone paste had turned black at those points. Since my dealer refused the RMA I lapped the NB-chip and mounted a huge copper cooler with 60mm fan. Now it runs smoothly with 2-2-2-6.

:biggrin:

Archived