Corsair Community

Asus A7N8X with TWINX1024-3200C2PT crashes

tol4o

Hi,

I had cheap 2x512MB DDR3200 (different brand) memory sticks which worked perfect and stable in single channel mode on my Asus a7n8x mobo. My CPU is AMD 2500+ 333FSB overclocked stable to 3000+ 400FSB (200x10.5) with stock voltage. I decide to try the sticks on dual channel mode but the system crashed after the reboot. I read in the forums that for dual channel mode i should use only matched sticks and i guessed that mine old sticks, that are different brand, caused the crash when i tried them in dual channel mode. So I decided to spend some more $$$ and to get really good memory. I got Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT from newegg.com. I was sure that everything should be ok with the new $$$ memory, but after i installed the sticks in dual channel mode i got the same crash like with the old sticks. Then I put them in single channel and the system ran but it's not stable. Sometimes the system restarts by itself even when is idle, or close my counter strike source during the game and shows errors. I dont know what is wrong. I tried everything with the timings and multipliers and I still get the same restarts and crashes:(. When i put back the old sticks in single mode everything is perfect. I am lost:(. Is there any way to make my system to work stable at least in single mode or i just got bad sticks?

My config:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 333FSB overclocked to +3000 400FSB

Asus A7N8X revision 2.0 bios 1010 and lastest nforce drivers 5.10

2x512MB Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT

XFX 6600GT AGP 8X 128MB DDR3

550W Sure power supply

Ok guys I ran memorytest 3.2 and during the test thousands (3000+) of errors showed up in the end of test #5 (around 91-92% of the test). The system conf is 400FSB (CPU 200x10.5), memory speed set on (by speed 400MHz) auto timing (2.5-3-3-8) and I tried with both single and dual channel modes. In dual channel got even more errors over 6000+!!! I tried to rise the DDR voltage to 2.7V but it doesnt help at all still the same. Then I tried every stick by itself to see if any of them is bad, but I got the same result with each one of them. After that I lowered the FSB to 333MHz (CPU default 166x11) with the same memory speed 333MHz and everything was good no errors at all. Then I rised the FSB back to 400MHz (CPU 200x10.5) but set the memory speed to 80% (333MHz) and the test ran with no errors. What can I say is that this memory just refuses to work normal set to 400Mhz (DDR3200) on my Asus A7N8X. When the speed is set to 333Mhz (DDR2700) the RAM work good in both single and dual channel mode. When I put the old xxx cheap RAM sticks they works perfect set to DDR3200 single channel. I read that there are many cases where Corsar TWINX1024-3200C2PT dosnt work at 400Mhz on Asus A7N8X board. May be they are not compatible with each other. I dont know what to do now. Do you think I can find any solution of my problem or i should just try to RMA the sticks? If you have any suggestions let me know pls. Thank you

The mobo is just Asus A7N8X revision 2.0 which supports FSB400. You can see it here:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7n8x/overview.htm

A test 5 failure in Memtest is often CPU related. Keep in mind that even though your MOBO supports 200mhz/DDR400 your CPU does not. And if the CPU will OC stable in single channel it may not necessarily OC stable in dual channel. However, it may simply be bios settings.

Check THIS THREAD. It is helpful with all of the A7N8X models.

Good luck, Mike.

Thanks for the advice Mike, but I really can't make this memory to work stable on 400MHz even in signle channel. I tried everything, I played with the timings and nothing. The best what I could do is in single channel 400MHz 2-3-3-6. It passed the memory test with no errors but when I loaded Windows the system is unstable and after awhile restarts again:(. With stock timing 2.5-3-3-6 memory test shows thousands errors in test#5. When I try to put 3-x-x-x timing the system can't even boot. The old memory works good on 400Mhz and this one suppose to work much better for the price. I dont know what is wrong. I already dont think there is a way to make this memory to work right. I'll keep trying. If you get something let me know tnx.

I'd suggest that you set the system to run the RAM and CPU at 166mhz just for testing. Then, run Memtest on each individual stick of RAM. Also, make sure your RAM voltage is 2.8v and make sure that any performance enhancements/turbos are turned off. Let us know what Memtest shows at that speed. You may also want to try Windows again at 166/166 if you find that both sticks pass Memtest.

Mike.

I already wrote that the system runs perfect with 166/166 Dual no errors and no crashes. With FSB400 (CPU200x10.5) and memory 83% (166) dual runs stable too. I'm curently using this configuration right now but the memory bandwidth is so low just 2.29GB/sec (count on Everest v2.0).

I ran the test with each stick by itself and I am getting the same errors on 400MHz on the both of the sticks.

Set on 333MHz no errors

2x512 Single channel 400Mhz over 3000 erorrs in test 5#

Once, with memory timing 2-3-3-6 I got no errors in memtest with 2x512 single, but the windows was still unstable and crashing.

I cant even make this sticks to work on single channel set on 400MHz :(: . I have the lastest BIOS 1010, I even tried with the old one 1007. I spend last few days reading forums and treats, I tried everything and nothing changed. Simple this RAM refuse to work on 400MHz with my mobo. The old RAM that i have runs good at 400MHz...

I read in a post that there are revision version on this ram 3.1 that cause many problems with A7N8X set on 400MHz. A guy with nick nicoletti, RMA his version 3.1 RAM and he got the same model but different version and he said everything is ok now.

Does anybody know how can I find out what version is my memory?

I dont know what I should do...

• Corsair Employee

If the FSB of your CPU is 400 For Intel and 100 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports only DDR 266.

If the FSB of your CPU is 533 For Intel and 133/166 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 266/333.

If the FSB of your CPU is 800 MHz for Intel and 200 MHz for AMD, the memory speed supports DDR 333/400

Thanks RAM guy,

but I really know that info and I didn't get what do you mean. If what you mean is that this problem is because of my 333MHz CPU FSB I dont agree. My CPU is AMD XP 2500+ with 333MHz FSB but it is unlocked and works perfect (since I got it almost 2 years ago) on 400MHz FSB (200x10.5 -> 2.1GHz 3000+) with stock voltage (Thermaltake Volcano 12 cooler and Arctic Silver 5 35C idle 41C full load). I bet you know that this CPU is one of the best overclockers for the time and nobody had any problems with it working on 400MHz FSB. I agree that this CPU might not work stable with 400MHz dual chennel but it should work fine in single. I've never had any problems with the old RAM that I had set to 400MHz signel channel.

My current config that works good is: CPU set to 400MHz and my RAM set to 83% (333MHz) auto timings (2-2-2-7) dual channel. Even dual channel DDR2700 is so slow:(:. I paid for good memory and I wanna use it's full capacity. Before to buy the TWIN XMS RAM, I really believed that everything is gonna be ok with those matched pair sticks but... I think that probably the version of the RAM that I have is not compatible for 400MHz with my Asus A7N8X. Can you tell me how can I find out the version of the sticks. Thank you

PS: I am really sick of this since I got the memory:(: Can you recommend me what should I do pls

• Corsair Employee

tol4o

First off I understand what you are saying, but I think I am not making my point clear enough for you to understand. So lets back up a bit and try and solve the problem at hand before we go to another module that may or may not solve the problem is what I am trying to do.

Second, if I understand you correctly you have our Twinx1024-3200C2 modules with a 2500+ that you have to run at DDR333 because it will not run at DDR400 1-1 with your CPU when it’s over clocked.

Q1: Is that correct? Yes or No, if no please explain. or copy to the explanation.

Third, if I also understand you have been ruining this way for 2 years, or has it been running at DDR400 and only recently you started to have to slow the memory down?

This may be important to understanding and solving the problem.

All of our XMS modules are tested on a MB before they leave our factory, so it would be rare you get a failing module but it does happen, so they way to isolate that is to test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. In addition with what you posted you stated you have a 2500+ that you have been over clocking for 2 years, it's possible that the CPU may be starting to fail is it not? And by running the memory at CPU at 166 MHz that will help isolate that as well. Because if you have a failing module it will fail usually on test 4 no matter what setting or frequency you have it at. Hopefully that sheds some light on this, and for best performance I would suggest Twinx1024-3200XL modules, but I would make sure your CPU is not failing first before you get new memory.

Hi RAM guy thanks for the fast respond

your questions:

1. you have our Twinx1024-3200C2 modules with a 2500+ that you have to run at DDR333 because it will not run at DDR400 1-1 with your CPU when it’s over clocked.

Q1: Is that correct?

Answer: yeas this is right it runs stable only at DDR333

2. Third, if I also understand you have been ruining this way for 2 years, or has it been running at DDR400 and only recently you started to have to slow the memory down?

Answer: I have been running my system for two years with: 2500+ overclocked to FSB 400MHz (200x10.5 -> 3000+) and cheap 2x512MB DDR3200 set on 3-4-4-8 400MHz in single channel with no crash and errors at all. I got and installed TWINX two weeks ago and they can't even work at 400MHz single channel in my system. When I put back the old memory set to 400Mhz single channel, everything is like those 2 years no crashes no errors at all !!!

3. I ran memtest with each bank by itself and both of them failed at test #5 when are set to 400MHz

I am not sure and I can't say that the memory is bad because it works perfect at 333Mgz even in dual channel, but it just can't work at 400Mhz on my board. I guess this version or model is not compatible for 400Mhz with A7N8X.

You recommend me to have Twinx1024-3200XL modules for my system but I don't think newegg would like to exchange my Twinx1024-3200c2 for different model wich is more expensive

• Corsair Employee

Based on this please try and set our modules manually to Cass 3-4-4-8 at DDR400 in single channel mode and see if it will run and pass http://www.memtest.org. If it does it may be that because the other memory was slower your CPU was able to run at 200 MHz with the memory in sync. in sngle channel was just enough to allow the system to be stable. But there is more loading on the memory controller and CPU when you run more agressive timings and or dual channel. Also if you have another system that can run DDR400 with out over clocking that might help to isolate the memory.

In addition, what are the exact settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

When I try manually to set timing 3-x-x-x, the system can't even boot, and i have to reset the BIOS with the jumper to get back to the factory default BIOS conf. I tried different timings but the configuration that causes less errors but still unstable is:

2x512 Corsair TWINX 3200c2 in Single channel 1 & 2

CPU Freq.: 200Mhz

CPU Multiplier: 10.5x (Menu, not Auto)

System Performance: User Defined

Memory Freq.: 100%

Memory Timings: User Defined

Precharge: 6

RAS-CAS: 3

RAS Precharge: 3

CAS Latency: 2T

FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled

AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Vcore: 1.675V

Graphics Aperture: 128MB

DDR Voltage: 2.7V

AGP Voltage: 1.6V

AGP 8X Support Enabled

AGP Fast Write Disabled

Here are pictures from the package of the RAM, can you tell me what version is my Corsair?

http://web.orbitel.bg/webadmin/package_back.jpg

http://web.orbitel.bg/webadmin/package_front.jpg

The old modules where 2x512MB

Ok I did the tests with each one of the sticks with the following BIOS congif:

CPU Freq.: 200Mhz

CPU Multiplier: 10.5x (Menu, not Auto)

System Performance: User Defined

Memory Freq.: 100%

Memory Timings: User Defined

Precharge: 7

RAS-CAS: 3

RAS Precharge: 3

CAS Latency: 2.5T

FSB Spread Spectrum: Disabled

AGP Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Vcore: 1.675V

Graphics Aperture: 128MB

DDR Voltage: 2.7V

AGP Voltage: 1.6V

AGP 8X Support Enabled

AGP Fast Write Disabled

I got the same results for the both sticks separate (I tried them one by one) set on 400MHz

The result are (in fact for the both sticks separately):

- Installed stick to DIMM 1 the memtest failed in test#5 with around 820 errors

http://web.orbitel.bg/webadmin/DIMM1_failed.jpg

- Installed stick to DIMM 2 the whole memtest passed with no errors

http://web.orbitel.bg/webadmin/DIMM2_passed.jpg

- Installed stick to DIMM 3 the memtest failed with over 30 000 errors

http://web.orbitel.bg/webadmin/DIMM3_failed.jpg

- Installed both sticks in DIMM 2 & 3 (dual channel) the memtest failed with thousands errors

http://web.orbitel.bg/webadmin/DIMM2&3_dual_failed.jpg

- Installed in any of the DIMMs(1 or 2 or 3) set to 333MHz the sticks passed the test

- Installed to DIMM 2, sticks passed all the tests set on 400MHz even with the recommended from Corsair timing 2.5-3-3-6

What I can say for conclusion is:

1. There is nothing wrong with the memory and it seems to be ok

2. Only DIMM 2 can work stable at 400MHz

3. Because of the unstability of the other two DIMMS (1 & 3) the system can't work either single or dual channel with 2x512MB at 400MHz because two stable DIMMs are necessary

So my position is that probably the ASUS A7N8X memory controller doesn't work very good for DIMM 1&3 at 400MHz. I am still wondering how could I run this system for 2 years with 2x512MB in single channel 400MHz with no crashes

So RAM guy if you can recommend me something or if you have different position than mine I'll be glad to hear it. Thank you for your support

Thank you for the advice I think that would be the best what I can do. I cant RMA the board right now because I cant stay 2 weeks without a PC.

I am gonna contact Asus to ask them what should I do with this problem and if there any way to solve it or I have to RMA the board.

I had that board with the same the 512 dual channel sticks (which is in my friends system now, and works perfictly.)

Its a very picky motherboard, if the settings are off by a little bit, you will get tons of errors. You have that cpu overclocked, that "may" be the cause of the instability. Try to test that ram in another system if you can. Rember the ram is built on specific settings, even "low/safe" settings can cause instability.

Im not being specific becasue I dont rember exactly what my problems were with that board, all I know it was a pain in the butt to get to run right. Prolly the exact same problems you are having, and will fix at some point, hopefully!

Hi thank you for your post,

I think those mobos are very particular and most of them have this problem. I am sure that there is nothing wrong with the memory, because it works perfect in DIMM2 set on 400Mhz. Something is wrong with the memory controller and the bad thing is that Asus already turned back to those old mobos and I dont think somebody is working to get new BIOS release for A7N8X which is gonna fix those bugs. Anyway if you remember what was your problem and how you fixed it, let me know pls it might be helpfull to me. I already gave up trying to fix the problem. Set to 333Mhz dual channel works good but it's slower. So I am thinking to upgrade the mobo and the CPU to MSI NEO2 Platinium with AMD 64 3500+ 939 pins. I read many reviews and they said this mobo is really one of the best for 939 pin AMD64 with AGP. The memory bandwidth test for this board shows almost the best results with over 6GB/sec with DDR 3200 dual channel. The reason that I dont wanna go to PCIe yet is that I got 6600GT AGP video card 3 months ago and I am very pleased with it. I think PCIe is still peaky as long as the performance is still the same as AGP. If you have time write what is your opinion about my upgrade. Thank you and take care

Archived