Corsair Community

CX500 UK model start up problems

SandyW

I am assembling a new PC (for the first time) based on a ASRock 890GM Pro3 MoBo and Phenom II X4 CPU. When I tried to start up for the first time nothing happened. I checked, reconnected etc and still nothing. ASRock support suggested trying with the PSU connected to the MoBo and with only the 24 pin and 4 pin power cables and the CPU fan attached to the MoBo (no CPU or RAM , HDD, drives etc). The CPU fan ran for a second while the power button was pressed and then stopped. It would not run again unless the units had been powered down for a few minutes and then the same again.

The above setup starts properly on an old PSU (except the DVD isn't firing up but that's a separate issue).

The Corsair PSU works properly on another MoBo (ASRock Alive NF6P-VSTA) and passes the paperclip test. It's as if the Corsair PSU is detecting something it doesn't like in the 890GM Pro and turning itself off immediately.

Any thoughts?

• Corsair Employee

Its possible that our PSU could be detecting a short or a grounding problem that the other PSU is not detecting. You might try removing the motherboard from the case and bench testing the system to see if there is any change. We can definitely try replacing the unit for you, but if the PSU is working without issues in a different system, a replacement may not give you different results.

Request an RMA

Thank you. I'm in the Uk and can return the CX500 to the vendor if it is faulty or I don't want it but I would rather not give up so easily and as you say a direct replacement might be no different. I'm expecting the CPU that is meant for this MoBo to arrive in a couple of days and I'll do a bit more checking then.

The ASRock MoBo support have been superb over this (and other issues in the past). They suggested I remove the MoBo, place it on the foam packing (that was with it on delivery) on top of a cardboard box and using minimal attachments (as in para 1 of my first post) start it up. This had the same result as previously ie a very brief switching on of fans which could not be duplicated unless the PSU was switched off for a short time.

I think I saw something in the forums (I've been trawling for a solution) implying the CX*** might need to see a significant current demand. Is it possible there is insufficient when the system is switched on, so the PSU turns off and is not in a state to turn on again when the MoBo power demand is higher? This might imply an incompatiblity between MoBo and PSU. Just a guess - I'm no PC wizz or PSU expert!

• Corsair Employee
As long as the 24-pin connector is plugged into a motherboard, the unit should meet minimum power requirements. Other than a short or grounding issue, I can't explain why the PSU would work on one system and not the other. Both boards you listed should support the latest ATX specifications which the PSUs are built to meet (ATX12v 2.01 or newer).

Archived