Corsair Community

500D SE + h150i: will I burn out .05A fans?

patrikor

Hi all,

I'm planning a new build soon, using the 500D SE case and an h150i cooler. I'm planning to use non-RGB mag-lev PWM fans that draw a max current of 0.05 amps. (12v, .6 watts, Noctua NF-F12 chromax.black.swap fans in case it's relevant). I'm planning to run a push-pull setup and have 3 case fans, for a total of 9 fans in the case.

What I'd like to know is, am I going to burn out these 0.05A fans if I attach them to the h150i or the CoPro? How do these devices "know" how much current to supply to the fans?

I also have a secondary question: For the additional 3 fans in the push/pull setup, should I attach those to the h150i with fan control wire splitters? Or should I connect them to the CoPro?

edit: removed a question I found the answer to in a review.

Thank you!!

Patrick

Edited by patrikor

Skipping a semester of electrical engineering... no, you won't burn out the fans or the fan controller in the H150i. Current limit is around 1.5A leaving a healthy margin for the pump. You would be looking at 6 x 0.05A. Those are very low current fans and there is plenty of room. The controller does not decide how much current to supply. It always sends 12v for a PWM fan. The fan's motor uses X watts at a given rpm and that results in the level of current based on the motor's characteristics I (current) = Power (W)/Voltage (12v).

As for the splitter arrangements, given free choice I would want one bank on each side of the radiator on a channel or dual triple splitters. However, there isn't really a compelling reason for this unless you want to run the difference sides at slightly different speeds. Additionally, three way splitters can cause issues every now and then. Dual splitters less so and 3 x 2 way splitters likely offers a more surefire solution. I am sure there are others who are doing push pull on a H150i and can offer their experiences.