Corsair Community

Humming and slight buzzing with H75 cooler

ilyesgouta

Hi,

I recently put together a new PC with a H75 Hydro for CPU cooling. My motherboard is an ASUS Z97-PRO GAMER and has CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT and 3 CHA_FAN headers. I followed Corsair's H75 video on Youtube for setting up the H75.

The CPU temp is about 30° idle and the PC runs OK, however I get a sort of (periodic) humming with a slightly pronounced buzzing from the pump, and is quite frustrating since my goal was to build a rather quiet desktop.

I have captured the pump's noise in this video:

Please use headphones to properly discern/hear the pump's humming.

I have the pump (power) connected to CHA_FAN1, and disabled fan speed control for it (DC mode, 100% all the time), and the radiator fans connected to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT. In the video, I was testing the radiator outside of the chassis, and had only one fan connected to CPU_FAN header (configured in PWM, silent profile in BIOS). The BIOS tells that the pump (fan) runs at about 1470 RPMs.

I have also tested swapping the connections, so pump power goes to CPU_FAN and radiator fans connected to CHA_FAN1, however the noise is still there.

I'd like to know if such a sound produced by the pump is normal? If not, how to fix it, attenuate it?

As I don't have a 3-pin PWR_FAN header on my ASUS Z97-PRO, do I have rather to connect the pump directly to the PSU (instead of the PWM/DC fan headers)?

Any other recommendations?

Best regards,

Ilyes

All electric motors are going to have some level of hum, but if you can hear it over the fans with the door closed, then it's out of specification. This kind of thing can happen with any electric motor and is not tied to one model or another. You have already taken the logical trouble shooting steps, so I would recommend you either 1) exchange it with the purchase retailer; or 2) RMA it through Corsair. Which option is best depends on where you live and what kind of terms your end retailer has on exchanges.

In the interim, you can go into the BIOS and knock the voltage to the pump down to 90% or so (1300 or 1350 rpm). This usually takes some of the volume out of it. However, it's not a permanent solution and undervolting not only shortens the lifespan, but it becomes continually less effective over time.

Hi c-attack,

I would recommend you either 1) exchange it with the purchase retailer; or 2) RMA it through Corsair. Which option is best depends on where you live and what kind of terms your end retailer has on exchanges.

I purchased the H75 in France while on a trip (via Amazon) and got it hand-carried to Tunisia, Tunis, where I live.

I'll try the RMA process, and provide updates here.

In the interim, you can go into the BIOS and knock the voltage to the pump down to 90% or so (1300 or 1350 rpm). This usually takes some of the volume out of it. However, it's not a permanent solution and undervolting not only shortens the lifespan, but it becomes continually less effective over time.

I tried that too, with no effective results.

Regards,

Ilyes

Archived