Corsair Community

AX760i or Motherboard problem?

James_K

Hi All,

I have some weird things going on with my rig and I was hoping to get some help here. I never considered there may be something wrong with my Power Supply until I read up on some issues here with the digital line. My rig is less than 6 mo old (all brand new components) and comprises of a ASRock x99m Killer motherboard, AX760i and a GTX980; now the first issue became apparent when the computer would randomly restart during normal usage, I originally attributed this to a motherboard/overheating issue as there is a setting to power off within the BIOS in the event of overheating however the problem was still apparent even when I turned this feature off. I monitor temperatures using SpeedFan and CorsairLink and my temperatures never exceed 40 degrees C under normal usage and 70 while gaming (for GFX only).

The other problem is when I put my computer on standby, which has only recently surfaced as it was fine before, when I wake it from sleep it goes into this really odd power on loop, the system doesn't boot it just powers on (all fans and lights turn on) and powers off and repeats. In this scenerio the power switch no longer works I cant get it to stop until I pull out the power cord or the power switch on the PSU it self. I also cant plug it back in right away as the power loop will continue I feel I have to wait until all the residue power has been drained before it will start properly (Pressing the power/reset switch does not seem to drain the residue power).

I was just hoping I could get someones opinion on what the problem may be so I can chase the correct avenues for RMA as right now I don't know if its the PSU or motherboard. Thanks for you're help in advance.

James

• Corsair Employee

First paragraph: Make sure that "automatically restart" is unchecked under advanced system settings. If you do this and get a BSOD instead of a restart, then your problem is likely RAM.

Second paragraph: This is likely a power good signal issue with the motherboard telling the PSU that it is not ready for voltages. Make sure you have the newest BIOS installed.

First paragraph: Make sure that "automatically restart" is unchecked under advanced system settings. If you do this and get a BSOD instead of a restart, then your problem is likely RAM.

I have already disabled this feature and its still has the random reboot problem.

Second paragraph: This is likely a power good signal issue with the motherboard telling the PSU that it is not ready for voltages. Make sure you have the newest BIOS installed.

I have already ensured the BIOS is up-to-date thinking it was a motherboard problem

Update: It did the reboot loop today and I couldn't get it to stop the same why I normally did (tried letting all the residual power eliminate before trying) but I couldn't get it to work this time it would continually power on (light up and fan up) the power off, repeat. Eventually I removed the RAM sticks and tried again with the same result. Finally I pulled the master 24 pin power cable out of the mother board and replaced it and viola la instant power on again. The random reboots and reboot loops are becoming more frequent lately. I hope this gives additional information to help diagnose the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Double checked all the connections multiple times with the same problem constantly reoccurring, I have finally given in and taken out the PSU from my server and seem to have confirmed that it is indeed the PSU which has seem to have failed and I will start the RMA process now. Thanks for everyone trying to help out.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

Just wanted to update on this thread in case anyone else has the same problem because this has happened to me way to many a time:https://xkcd.com/979/

I received a new PSU, the extremely nice support team at Corsair upgraded me to a AX860i since they did not have any more of the 760i's in stock at the warehouse. I opted for the express RMA and received it in no time. My computer is now running like a dream and have not experienced the issue in the last 2 weeks. It was an incredibly odd problem but hopefully the PSU was the indeed the problem. The only thing is the computer problem did occur less when it was cold and Hong Kong is currently the coldest it has been in 60 years so the real test will be when summer starts to come around again!

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this thread and to the wonderful Corsair RMA support (which was surprisingly not outsourced outside the Americas)

Archived