Corsair Community

Corsair Utility Engine has stopped working

AWZ

Hi. I have a K65 RGB that I got late 2014.

The only version of CUE that has ever worked for me is 1.3.70, which is the first version I installed after originally getting the keyboard.

In January I tried to install CUE 1.3.91 or whatever it was, and whenever launching CUE it would give 'Corsair Utility Engine has stopped working' without ever launching. I uninstalled this and went back to 1.3.70, and it worked properly.

Earlier this month I tried to install CUE 1.5.80, same problem. Went back to 1.3.70 and things worked alright again.

Today I tried to install CUE 1.5.108, still the same problem.

The issue now is that I had updated the firmware on the keyboard itself to 1.20 (the latest), and 1.20 is not compatible with CUE 1.3.70. So my K65 RGB is essentially a K65 Vengeance. I cannot do anything with profiles, the lights are stuck on the default red with white WASD and arrows. It's just a regular mechanical keyboard with backlight at this point without the software and firmware working.

Can anyone help please? More details below.

Things I have tried:

1. Closing Steam as it seems other people have had issues with CUE and Steam. Doesn't help

2. Restarting. Doesn't help

3. Fully uninstalling CUE before installing new version. Doesn't help

4. Unplugging keyboard while installing, trying USB 2.0 or 3.0, trying different modes on the switch. Doesn't help

Here is the log or details of the window that pops up when it says 'Corsair Utility Engine has stopped working':

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: CorsairHID.exe

Application Version: 1.5.108.0

Application Timestamp: 55374f0f

Fault Module Name: MSVCR110.dll

Fault Module Version: 11.0.51106.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 5098858e

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 0000e33d

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 0a9e

Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Additional Information 3: 0a9e

Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

System specs:

Some ASrock mobo

Phenom II 965

Radeon HD 7870

Windows 7 64bit

Try a clean reinstall of windows it seems CUE is clashing with some other program/driver. Contact Corsair Support and see what they say.

https://corsair.secure.force.com/

Thanks for your response.

Yeah... I tried removing a bunch of drivers and trying again, didn't help... I've also tried starting CUE without any other program running, also didn't help. I also tried to clean up registry using CCleaner, and tried the repair function on the installation (to make sure the driver is properly installed). Nothing has helped.

I really don't want to do a clean reinstall of Windows, takes too long to get everything running how I want, and I don't have that kind of time right now, plus it seems a bit ridiculous to do that just for a keyboard software. Even then there's no guarantee it will work after I get everything else set up again, which is the biggest problem imo.

I contacted Corsair Support, let's see what they say...

So far I've just been told that it might be a hardware issue (it isn't, keyboard itself works fine, lights work fine, just cannot switch profiles or use CUE in general). Or that I should try it on a different computer.

Doesn't help the fact that it does not work on my main PC though due to CUE never launching before it crashes.

Does anyone know how to either: diagnose CUE always crashing, or how to downgrade the firmware on the keyboard?

• Corsair Employee

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS and using the latest chipset/USB drivers for your motherboard.

A quick search for MSVCR110.dll is that this is a file for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. I recommend you update this as well and all applicable files associated with it.

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS and using the latest chipset/USB drivers for your motherboard.

A quick search for MSVCR110.dll is that this is a file for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. I recommend you update this as well and all applicable files associated with it.

Apparently MSVCR110.dll is associated with Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2012... so I uninstalled all of it fully, and then went in the registry and deleted everything that came up when searching for "MSVCR110.dll". Then I rebooted.

Result is... CUE still does the same thing, crashes upon launch. The error message still suggests that MSVCR110.dll is the culprit even though regedit and a general search for it come up empty now. Am I missing something?

Also, isn't C++ a pretty common thing people have on their computers? Seems a bit odd that CUE would have problems in this particular case.

My next step is to try reinstalling CUE... if that still doesn't help then I'll try updating BIOS/mobo stuff...

Reinstalling CUE did nothing... Updating BIOS to latest version did nothing... USB drivers have been on the latest version the entire time.

CUE continues to crash with the same error message (even though I have removed all instances of MSVCR110.dll from registry, and uninstalled the Redistributable version associated with it).

• Corsair Employee

This is most likely an issue with Windows rather than CUE, AWZ if the report still says the fault module is the DLL file. If that is the case, it would be outside my skills to assist sadly.

The only thing I can do is provide you with the last version of FW and revert you back to 1.5.70.

This is most likely an issue with Windows rather than CUE, AWZ if the report still says the fault module is the DLL file. If that is the case, it would be outside my skills to assist sadly.

The only thing I can do is provide you with the last version of FW and revert you back to 1.5.70.

The last version of FW doesn't work with any CUE version except 1.3.70 for me... but that would be better than nothing. Would greatly appreciate if you can guide me on getting back to the previous version of FW, where hopefully, I can at least use the keyboard's lighting profiles again...

Also if you are able to forward this case on for anyone at Corsair that does have the expertise to assist, I'd appreciate that too, though I understand nothing may come of it.

It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me that (only) CUE 1.3.70 worked fine, that everything else on my PC works fine, but somehow this doesn't even after all the steps I tried.

Hey guys, I was having the same issue but managed to get it working with some debugging.

It turns out the my issue was that CUE was loading the LIBEAY32.dll from my PHP installation. When debugging the stacktrace that was causing CUE to hang, this is what I saw:

00B1F3FC 767D1055 KERNELBASE.dll!WaitForSingleObject+0x12

00B1F410 71B1E11E MSVCP110.dll!_Thrd_join+0xf

00B1F424 010D98A8 CorsairHID.exe+0x98a8

00B1F440 01371DFB CorsairHID.exe+0x2a1dfb

00B1F46C 013721EB CorsairHID.exe+0x2a21eb

00B1F478 014D71A1 CorsairHID.exe+0x4071a1

00B1F4C4 71A40F3A MSVCR110.dll!exit+0xf

00B1F4D8 6FDA647E LIBEAY32.dll!OPENSSL_config+0x6e

04E9AF08 050EE784

71C09C44 74654E51

71B96940 FFFFFD18

The open ssl dll was loading from D:\php\LIBEAY32.dll

I fixed my install by removing D:\php from my path env variable and re running CUE

AWZ, if you can run WhatIsHang and generate a report, we can see if the same thing is happening to you.

WhatIsHang is available on http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html

Hey guys, I was having the same issue but managed to get it working with some debugging.

It turns out the my issue was that CUE was loading the LIBEAY32.dll from my PHP installation. When debugging the stacktrace that was causing CUE to hang, this is what I saw:

00B1F3FC 767D1055 KERNELBASE.dll!WaitForSingleObject+0x12

00B1F410 71B1E11E MSVCP110.dll!_Thrd_join+0xf

00B1F424 010D98A8 CorsairHID.exe+0x98a8

00B1F440 01371DFB CorsairHID.exe+0x2a1dfb

00B1F46C 013721EB CorsairHID.exe+0x2a21eb

00B1F478 014D71A1 CorsairHID.exe+0x4071a1

00B1F4C4 71A40F3A MSVCR110.dll!exit+0xf

00B1F4D8 6FDA647E LIBEAY32.dll!OPENSSL_config+0x6e

04E9AF08 050EE784

71C09C44 74654E51

71B96940 FFFFFD18

The open ssl dll was loading from D:\php\LIBEAY32.dll

I fixed my install by removing D:\php from my path env variable and re running CUE

AWZ, if you can run WhatIsHang and generate a report, we can see if the same thing is happening to you.

WhatIsHang is available on http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html

Hi folta, thanks for the tip.

I tried your suggestion with WhatIsHang -- unfortunately it seems WIH does not detect CUE at all in this case.

I tried with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, same result (see image, left is 64 bit version, right is 32 bit version): http://i.imgur.com/rRH3eLS.png

I tried launching WhatIsHang and then launching CUE, as well as the opposite. I also tried to run both as Administrator with no luck either, as well as trying to manually get hang information in WIH using the option under File. None of this did anything, it's as if CUE doesn't exist at all.

Interestingly, it was detecting CCleaner when I launched it even though CCleaner wasn't and hasn't ever given me problems.

Seems I'm back to square one unless you have any other ideas -- you seem more well-versed in this kind of thing than I do so if you have any other thoughts, I'm all ears. Thanks again for the help.

Hi folta, thanks for the tip.

I tried your suggestion with WhatIsHang -- unfortunately it seems WIH does not detect CUE at all in this case.

I tried with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions, same result (see image, left is 64 bit version, right is 32 bit version): http://i.imgur.com/rRH3eLS.png

I tried launching WhatIsHang and then launching CUE, as well as the opposite. I also tried to run both as Administrator with no luck either, as well as trying to manually get hang information in WIH using the option under File. None of this did anything, it's as if CUE doesn't exist at all.

Interestingly, it was detecting CCleaner when I launched it even though CCleaner wasn't and hasn't ever given me problems.

Seems I'm back to square one unless you have any other ideas -- you seem more well-versed in this kind of thing than I do so if you have any other thoughts, I'm all ears. Thanks again for the help.

Hmm, seems like it is a different issue from what happened to me. Mine would hang and sit there with a loading mouse cursor and never do anything.

Can you try running http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/application_crash_report.html to generate a better crash report and post it here? The windows error report doesn't seem to offer a full stack trace.

I can try taking a look but no guarantees :)

Hmm, seems like it is a different issue from what happened to me. Mine would hang and sit there with a loading mouse cursor and never do anything.

Can you try running http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/application_crash_report.html to generate a better crash report and post it here? The windows error report doesn't seem to offer a full stack trace.

I can try taking a look but no guarantees :)

The crash report program on 32-bit managed to get more!

Here's the pastebin of the entirety of it: http://pastebin.com/t7AEPpgP

(I'm not sure if the random non-English symbols will affect the usefulness of it ...)

Thank you again for the suggestion and taking your time here. :)

I fixed the problem!

Here's how - I called Corsair for help on downgrading firmware the other day. The rep pointed me instead to trying his recommendations instead before potentially messing with the firmware, his steps are here:

1 - Uninstall the Corsair CUE software and any other previous Corsair software installations. (Located in Control Panel > Programs and Features)

2 - Go to Windows Control Panel > Folder Options (view by small/large icons) > View > Enable Show hidden files and folders

3 - Delete the following directory: C:\Users\"Your name"\AppData\Roaming\Corsair

4 - Run a registry cleaning software such as CCleaner (Run registry scan and fix all issues)

5 - Restart your system

6 - Install the new Corsair software only for your specific keyboard (link below):

http://downloads.corsair.com/download?item=Files/Gaming-Keyboards/Corsair-Utility-Engine-v1.5.108.zip

The missing link seems to have been to delete the AppData\Roaming\Corsair directory. Once I followed these steps exactly, CUE has worked for the first time in weeks!

Thanks to everyone for offering help, hopefully this thread can help someone else too in the future.

• Corsair Employee
I fixed the problem!

Here's how - I called Corsair for help on downgrading firmware the other day. The rep pointed me instead to trying his recommendations instead before potentially messing with the firmware, his steps are here:

1 - Uninstall the Corsair CUE software and any other previous Corsair software installations. (Located in Control Panel > Programs and Features)

2 - Go to Windows Control Panel > Folder Options (view by small/large icons) > View > Enable Show hidden files and folders

3 - Delete the following directory: C:\Users\"Your name"\AppData\Roaming\Corsair

4 - Run a registry cleaning software such as CCleaner (Run registry scan and fix all issues)

5 - Restart your system

6 - Install the new Corsair software only for your specific keyboard (link below):

http://downloads.corsair.com/download?item=Files/Gaming-Keyboards/Corsair-Utility-Engine-v1.5.108.zip

The missing link seems to have been to delete the AppData\Roaming\Corsair directory. Once I followed these steps exactly, CUE has worked for the first time in weeks!

Thanks to everyone for offering help, hopefully this thread can help someone else too in the future.

Thanks for sharing the solution, things like this are always a big help for forum archiving when searches are done.

Thanks for sharing the solution, things like this are always a big help for forum archiving when searches are done.

Yes and thanks to Corsair for the help, weird obscure issues like these are never fun to try and figure out, but in the end it all works as it should. :)

Archived