Corsair Community

H60: How Much "Twist" Can the Tubes Take?

cpurick

I have an Asus P8Z68-V LX. The least stressful orientation of the cooler in my case had the tubes emerging on the top of the CPU, as viewed in a tower. This is 90 degrees counterclockwise from a "right side up" logo on the pump.

However, after being unable to control my temps, I discovered the cooler was making very little contact with my CPU, as one edge (the "back" side, toward the rear of the case) was resting on (slightly denting) capacitors. When I pulled the cooler, I discovered there'd been very little actual contact.

So I noted the rectangular shape of the cooling plate, and rotated it 90 degrees clockwise, so that the Corsair logo is now correctly "right side up" when viewing the motherboard in the tower case. I now have good cooling and the pump easily clears the capacitors. However, this orientation causes a fair bit of flexing of the tubing, especially at the point where they emerge from the radiator. I zip tied the tubes to each other in such a way as to minimize bending at the radiator, though this does create a tighter radius at a point closer to the middle of the tubing. I figured that was better than having a bend at the radiator fitting.

Am I at risk of tubing failure?

• 6 years later...

hello guys, I just installed the H115i PRO and f-d up a bit. I installed it on top, with pipe ends facing front of chassis and used like that cpl of hours:

https://i.imgur.com/sPJwSjy.png

https://i.imgur.com/rxcZWNL.png

Now I have re-oriented the radiator to how it should be:

https://i.imgur.com/Ba7fZWJ.png

Do you think the wrong orientation could cause excessive bend and make some damage to the pipes?

I don't think either way is "bad" but certainly less strain on the hoses/fittings is better on the long run theoretically.

I always install my AIOs as in the last pic. With the hoses towards the back of the case making one nice loop towards the pump.

Cooling either way shouldn't make any difference (getting front fan air or not) as the hoses are pretty isolated from the exterior.

Both of those orientations are fine and I have used my H115i PRO with exactly those bends. It doesn't matter. At some point, the pump must overcome gravity to move the fluid. Since the loop is full and in constant motion, it's not a difficult task. The only situation to watch out for is resting on top of the GPU. Top plate is going to get pretty hot and over time that is likely to burn through the sleeve a bit. While that isn't going to make it leak, no one wants burnt fabric on top of their GPU either. You have plenty of space in your photo.

Many thanks for the info. I was concerned if I could have weakened the pipes structure somehow. Turns out that probably not. The unit is delivering very good results, with the i7 6700K (delided) hovering around 60 Celsius on 1.315V and 4600 MHz. It's 10 Celsius better than I had with Noctua NH-D14.

Fans: Quiet Pump: Balanced. Stock Corsair paste as per delivery. Very happy so far.

Archived