Corsair Community

HX520: Is it faulty?

Koyoti

Hi all,

I bought an HX520 about a month ago as part of a new PC build.

When I put it all together I referred to the diagram of the 12v rails on this forum and set it up as follows

Rail 1 - ATX mobo and EPS

Rail 2 - 2 x WD 2500KS 250Gb SATA hard drives and 2x120mm and 1x200mm Antec tricool fans, all running at low speed, that came with my case (an Antec nine hundred)

Rail 3 - X1900GT PCI-E graphics and a Samsung SATA DVD/RW

However, using this setup, every time I powered up my PC it ran for about 3-4secs then powered down, paused for about 2 secs and then powered back up again. This continued for as long as I left it to do so.

As soon as I moved the fans to rail 3 , however, everything has started to work ok.

So my question is, have I got a faulty power supply or is it telling me I haven't balanced the load properly and doing what it is supposed to do?:confused:

Any comments or suggestions as to the cause would be greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employee
Hi all,

I bought an HX520 about a month ago as part of a new PC build.

When I put it all together I referred to the diagram of the 12v rails on this forum and set it up as follows

Rail 1 - ATX mobo and EPS

Rail 2 - 2 x WD 2500KS 250Gb SATA hard drives and 2x120mm and 1x200mm Antec tricool fans, all running at low speed, that came with my case (an Antec nine hundred)

Rail 3 - X1900GT PCI-E graphics and a Samsung SATA DVD/RW

However, using this setup, every time I powered up my PC it ran for about 3-4secs then powered down, paused for about 2 secs and then powered back up again. This continued for as long as I left it to do so.

As soon as I moved the fans to rail 3 , however, everything has started to work ok.

So my question is, have I got a faulty power supply or is it telling me I haven't balanced the load properly and doing what it is supposed to do?:confused:

Any comments or suggestions as to the cause would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds like a loose connector. There's not a significant draw from the fans, in fact, they can't really draw enough amps to even cause a minor issue. My theory is that one of the connectors was shorting out and causing

the PSU to short and restart itself.

Archived