Corsair Community

No Love for Neutron GTX?

I bought four Neutron GTX drives. Two of them are 120GB and the other two are 480GB.

I have them on a Maximus V Extreme motherboard from Asus. The two 120GB drives are in RAID 0 and serve have my OS. However, in all benchmark utilities the drives barely perform at the speed of one individual drive. The seq read/write speed should be double what it actually is.

I have been on Overclock.net and communicating with other members on there. We all agree there is an issue here. We suspect that it could be an old firmware version for the OROM. Another member on those forums has written a modified BIOS that upadates the OROM. I will try that if I have to. But, before I do, I would like to confer on these forums to see if anyone else has run into this with the Neutron GTX drives.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Administrators
Yes. Using Intel SATA III ports 1 & 2.
Just to be clear, these are the two red SATA ports immediately next to the black ones, correct?

http://www.asus.com/media/global/products/yPm8v8wbmZOX85cs/2VIJfEMShXPZtMjv_500.jpg

The other 4 red SATA ports are using the Asmedia controller, so I'd like to make sure we're on the same page.

Also, I assume AHCI is enabled in the BIOS and in Windows?

What's the part number of your SSDs - CSSD-N120GBGTXB-BK or CSSD-N120GBGTXB-BK (no B after GTX) ?

Lucky, just FYI, this is how Corsair Neutron 120GB behave in RAID0 under AS SSD:

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=719&pagenumber=10

you should be seeing Sequential Read above 1,000MB/s and Seq Write around 400MB/s.

I see finally you are getting help instead of being bashed for having a problem hehe ;)

good!

have you tried changing the SATA cables yet? try using the ones which came with MVE board and are marked as SATA 6G, they were rated for SATAIII/6G speeds, that's how I found my other cable (also rated at SATAIII/6G) was the culprit and causing the secondary drive to drop out of raid with every BIOS reflash or when loading defaults.

I can break my raid and do a fresh install in AHCI mode. Then test both drives. I'll do that now & post screenshots of the results.

The cables are brand new Newegg brand 6" SATA6 cables. While that doesn't mean they are good... I'll keep that possibility as a last resort test. And yeah, those are the speeds I was hoping for. I should have stuck with OCZ I guess.

Anyways, I'll do the fresh install in AHCI mode real quick & post back.

As promised, here are four screenshots. Two of each drive. I just completed a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 with the stock BIOS 1707 set to AHCI mode.

Disk #1 with MSAHCI

Disk #2 with MSAHCI

Disk #1 with IRST

Disk #2 with IRST

Yes, the drives seem to be operating within spec in normal AHCI mode. However, they fail to operate when coupled in a RAID 0 array. I bought them for a RAID 0 array. If you guys can dig into this deeper I would love you forever. As usual, I'm here and willing to test / try anything.

so far it looks pretty normal to me. however I see some drop in speeds in ATTO (last category) of primary disk1 with IRST installed. also the primary disk in MSAHCI mode scored a bit worse in 4K-64Thrd category, but that could be because it was an OS disk, right?

so the RAID0 was slow with stock MVE BIOS 1707, which includes OROM 11.0.1339 and IRST driver 11.7? and you also tried IRST 12.0 driver, correct?

I think you might wanna swap the cables with SATA/600 ones from the motherboard box, just to rule things out. they are 18'' long so it should easily fit, only problem they have right-angled connectors on SSD end, hopefully it fits your setup.

I am wondering if you would see any improvement after updating OROM to later version, e.g. 12.5, the process is very easy and it takes the modded BIOS update file, renamed to M5E.CAP and placed on a FAT32 formatted USB flash disk connected to white ROG USB port. you update at shutdown system (at standby) by pressing ROG Connect Button for 5 seconds which initiates the flash. you will see the LED on MB start blinking fast then slower, it usually completes the process in less than 2 minutes.

Yes, correct. I used IRST v12.0. And yes, Disk #1 is the OS drive.

As for the BIOS flash... since I'm already on 1707 stock, the ROG Connect method won't flash the 1707 modded. Or so it seems. I get the three flashes but then it immediately goes back to a solid light and does nothing. I'm thinking I'll have to revert back to 1604 or whatever it was... then flash the modded 1707. And that's why I've been hesitant about doing it. BIOS flashing is not something I take lightly. That's a potential game over scenario.

As far as the cables go... I think we've already ruled them out as the drive speeds are fine in AHCI. I do not believe it is a cable issue.

Yes, correct. I used IRST v12.0. And yes, Disk #1 is the OS drive.

As for the BIOS flash... since I'm already on 1707 stock, the ROG Connect method won't flash the 1707 modded. Or so it seems. I get the three flashes but then it immediately goes back to a solid light and does nothing. I'm thinking I'll have to revert back to 1604 or whatever it was... then flash the modded 1707. And that's why I've been hesitant about doing it. BIOS flashing is not something I take lightly. That's a potential game over scenario.

it should flashback the modded 1707 from stock 1707. it worked for me and was flashing from stock 1707 to modded 1707, then again to stock 1707 and again to modded 1707. worked every time.

make sure the USB flash disk is clean formatted in FAT32 and there is no other files on it, just the M5E.CAP file (renamed from Maximus-V-Extreme-1707.CAP), make sure you are not renaming the ZIP/RAR archive to a CAP file.

Lastly make sure you plugged the USB into the only White USB port at the rear I/O, it must sit in that white ROG USB port for it to work, otherwise it won't find it.

GOT IT. Flashed the modded 1707 w/updated OROM. I suppose its time to test it with RAID 0 now...

RESULTS ARE LESS THAN PLEASING..

SCREENSHOT

There is definitely an issue here. I really think Corsair needs to take a look at their firmware and see if they can figure it out. It only seems to plague Seq Read speeds in Raid 0.

have you tried other cables yet? that's the only thing I can think of apart from trying a newer OROM.

hmm, newer OROM and no luck ... there is definitely an issue, after you rule out cables I think it might be time to call up corsair ask tech support over the phone why those drives are so slow (Seq Reads) in RAID0, they should be 2.5x faster ...

are they flashed with same version of firmware? they should be.

EDIT:

actually I think you have a problem with write speeds as well. check out this review of 240Gb Corsair Neutron GTX:

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=704&pagenumber=10

do you happen to have a spare rig capable of running SATA3 RAID0?

EDIT2:

I am not sure if here exists firmware update tool for those Neutron GTX drives yet, according to this thread the M206 fw revision was best as of Sep-Oct 2012, it was a while ago:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110571

try sending a PM to Yellow Beard.

I'm on Firmware M306 on both drives & there is no update available. Nor is there a method to update. I'll probably end up calling Corsair tech support but as of now I'm done with their SSDs. I'm going back to OCZ & I'll give the Samsung 840 Pro Series a shot too.

Thanks for your help, brother.

Based on everything you have posted here, your testing of the individual drives shows that the drives themselves are working perfectly.

Give me a few days, I may have something up my sleeve that will be very helpful. ::pirate::

I'll send you a bottle of your favorite if you do.

Archived