Corsair Community

HX620 fan dying? - can i replace the fan?

viggo_wam

its become very noise lately, it wasnt like that until about a week ago, this happens when the computer is idle as well as under load

ive stopped all the other fans in the computer, its def the HX620 fan, ive even taken out the psu and cleaned it with compressed air to get all the dust out. there are no heating problems with hte psu, its just the fan and the noise is driving me a bit insane. ive had the same problem with other fans too over time so i know the sound. remember the psu has been running more or less constantly for 3 years or so, im pretty sure its just the fan thats getting worn. it sounds a bit like a cable might be touching the fan but i dont think thats the case(if it is id have to open up the psu anyway). until about a week ago its been dead silent no matter what i do.

my question is really can i replace the fan (i dont care about the warranty)? and if so what fan is recommended? will one of my beloved Nexus 120mm Real Silent Case Fans do?

edit: forgot to mention its the same both in ubuntu and in xp (which i booted for the first time in years just to check)

thanks for reply

i guess if i want a replacement id have to send the old one first and thus being stuck without a computer for days or weeks. thats not an option, i mean the psu works perfectly except for the noise

are there any unusual connectors inside, or something else outside the norm that i need to know about before attempting to replace the fan? is it a regular 3-pin connection?

Those capacitors can store a really nasty charge that can do some serious damage. Unless you're an experienced electrician I would just stay away and get an advanced RMA.

Could be a 2 pin connector, could be wired directly into the PSU.

• Corsair Employee

viggo_wam I posted this previously I am not sure what else you want us to say.

If you open the PSU its at your own risk and the Warranty is VOID is about all I can tell you...

We can replace the unit for you, but we can not recommend replacing the fan because it would void the warranty on the unit. If you are ok with this, then you should be able to use just about any standard 120mm fan.

Archived