Corsair Community

Pre applied thermal paste problem...or not?

Cheva

So I recently got a corsair H100 with a bunch of bent radiator fins which I'm not happy about, but that's not the point I just wanted to give that little rant. The thermal compound on my H100 seems to be missing a small line of paste in the middle of it. Could this pose any sort of problem? The size of the line is about the same as this " l " text actually I think it's almost exact. If it does should I put a small speck of AS5 to cover it up? Thanks for any help.

So in other words you can see the copper base where the paste is missing? One one hand, that tiny bit missing should make no difference, and should be filled in when you mount the pump and tighten it down. But, there is a chance that air will be trapped in that tiny space, as can be a problem any time a CPU cooler with fresh paste is mounted. I really doubt that would make any difference and cause damage to the CPU, but I know I could not ignore it.

A tiny, tiny touch of some other paste, or a bit taken from the edge of the Corsair's pre-applied paste can fill in that spot, if only to make you (me) feel better.

Archived