Corsair Community

Can LED fans be turned off using Commander Pro + iCue?

matogl0396

Hi all, new to the Corsair RGB infrastructure and have a quick question...

TLDR: Can Corsair ML 120 Pro LED fans toggle the LED on/off, using a Commander Pro or any other solution?

Detail:

In the wide world of radiator fans, I've narrowed my choice down to some variant of the ML 120 Pro series. At first, I thought the new RGB version was a no-brainer, because I would definitely PREFER a lighting option of some kind. In fact, I was literally about to purchase them off Amazon when I noticed at the last second that these fans actually have a significantly lower RPM than the basic & LED variants (1600 max vs 2400).

I am switching from a full set of Noctua NFA12x15 (slim fans), and specifically dealing with thermal issues that I'm hoping some "standard"/performance fans can help towards fixing. Generally speaking, I'm not as concerned about noise, and was definitely interested in the high RPM range of the ML 120 Pros (otherwise I might even just ditch lighting and go with like the Noctua iPPC 2,000 RPM PWCs instead).

So with all of this being said, one last thought I had was to go with the blue LED variants (that's the color I need for my current build). These appear to still have the 2400 RPM max, AND the lighting I'm looking for. But this, too, seems to have a major downside. Can these LEDs even be turned off?? I assume not under normal circumstances. But I believe they only have a single 4-pin plug, correct? So I thought MAYBE if I use the Commander Pro PWM hub, giving access to iCUE (or Link?) software, possibly I would have the ability to turn them off/on? I know they wouldn't have full RGB options, but it's just important to me that I'm not forced to leave them on all the time, since this is an HTPC sitting in my home theater in my living room.

Please let me know if this would or would not work, and also very happy to hear any other suggestions from the community.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Matogl0396

Not on ML Pro fans. They power their LED's through the fan header. They can actually change brightness by making the fan slower.

Ok man, well disappointing but thanks for the info.

I am just not sold on these RGB versions at this point. I want the lighting, but the specs are all wrong. Way lower RPM, way lower static pressure.

Decisions, decisions...

No, the static pressure is the identical at like speeds and it is the same exact blade. Are you really going to run them at 2000+ rpm? If you need that kind of air turnover, you are probably better off buying a new case than plunging into another set of fans. There is only so much you can reduce the case temp with any kind of fan speed.

If you have been running thin 15mm fans, either one should be an improvement. Is this case all around or a specific location?

• 1 month later...

Brightness can be handled a couple of ways.

First, there is the Brightness setting under Device Settings (click on settings at the top, then the device ... you'll have a brightness slider). That's the "master brightness".

You can also control brightness through the various Custom effects. You can also put a custom Solid effect, set to black, but reduced to, say, 90% as the top effect. That also effectively reduces brightness.

Archived