Corsair Community

Mass Effect: Andromeda - iCUE causes crash

Breaker1818

Mass Effect: Andromeda (ME:A) crashes after installation of iCUE. This was an issue with CUE and ME:A, and Corsair stated that it was on EA's end. It was patched by EA at one point, but now the problem is back with iCUE.

The workaround that was utilized at that time actually works now: disable iCUE from starting with Windows, reboot your computer, and launch ME:A. Unfortunately, my system is stuck with all of my Corsair products functioning in their base mode, as shown below:

K95 RGB Platinum - Rainbow RGB only, basic keyboard functions only

Dark Core RGB - Basic mouse functions/functions saved to ROM on the mouse only

VOID Pro Wireless RGB - Rainbow RGB only, Stereo sound only

HD120 RGB fans, controlled via Commander Pro (6 fans) - Rainbow mode only, no fan control. This affects CPU/GPU cooling, as 3 of the fans are attached to an EK-CoolStream XE 360 radiator.

Corsair - can you please verify whether or not this is also an issue with EA code, rather than your own? If it is on their end, can you possibly nudge them for a fix? Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

OS - Windows 10 Professional

CPU - Intel Xeon W3680 @ 4.8GHz (on custom water loop)

RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws, 24GB 1866MHz DDR3

GPU - ASUS GTX 1080 Turbo (on custom water loop)

DISPLAY - AOC AGON AG352UCG @ 3440x1440

As an aside, my library of games (Steam and Origin) is somewhere around the 260 mark... of the 30 or so games I have tried since installing iCUE, this is the only one that has exhibited any issues. I have also noticed a decrease in frame rates with ME:A, even when disabling iCUE and rebooting. This became an issue only after the installation of iCUE. I don't see how iCUE could possibly affect this game when not loaded, but frame rates in ME:A are substantially lower. ME:A used to hover between 70 and 100 FPS before iCUE, depending on the level played, and now it is between 45 and 80 FPS, also level dependent.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm... I put in about three hours playing for the first time in a while and definitely since the iCUE launch. I was about to report back everything was fine, then I had a timeout BSOD as I quit the game. A ridiculous 150 hours before this with no crashes like that. We have similar hardware, monitors, and GPUs. I'll have to roll back later and see if this happens with Link 4.9.7, but it should probably be noted. I also thought my FPS seemed too low, with some jagged motions that never existed before.

I use Afterburner. That said, I no longer have the crashing issue with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro/Afterburner/Origin/ME:A/iCUE. The low frame rate problem is now intermittent (again, only in this game, and only after installing iCUE), but is solved by either stopping iCUE before I launch ME:A, or restarting the game. Considering this is the only game in my library that does this, I am leaning toward it being the game, versus iCUE. BF1 - also using the Frostbite Engine - exhibits no issues whatsoever.

I started up my ME:A game the other day to check on this. My framerate seemed normal. I ran around the Nexus for a bit and did a couple of side quests there. I traveled to some of the less GPU intensive planets but again fps seemed normal. I also use Afterburner + Precision X, iCUE and Win 10 1803.

At what point was the game crashing? Are you certain iCUE is responsible for low framerate issues? I haven't noticed. Are you by any chance doing sensor logging in iCUE? I wonder if that could cause issues? I don't (or haven't yet) sensor logged in iCUE. Do you play ME:A with a controller or mouse? I wonder if your peripherals could also be an issue?

Yeah, I am worried this is Win 10 1803 issue. I’ve had a couple of “full screen” issues since then, but of course no one is working on ME:A and insightful development on that project stopped years ago. It’s possible the visual elements of iCUE (cue space, etc) have some bearing. ME:A always had some full screen issues and it was a problem at launch for certain GPUs. I may test a little more. I thought my 1803 install went smoothly. I should probably have known this things never go quite that well.

It seems it may be an iCUE issue. I went back to Link 4.9.7 for a while. Played 5 times, no issues. I loaded up iCUE 3.2.87 yesterday. I loaded 5 times. I quit the game 5 times. My PC crashed with WHEA error 5 times. Seems like there is something to investigate. It is always at program exit, not during play.

EDIT: Successfully played and quit while using Precision XOC instead of MSI Afterburner. That is now two games giving me trouble with Afterburner + iCUE (and not Link). Of course the kicker is Afterburner tends to be very reliable and XOC is often not.

Archived