Corsair Community

When is Corsair coming out with the next great case?

Hooterville

Thanks, but I'm not talking about a stripped down 800D.

I'm thinking more in the lines of a new 900D :eek:

I thought that the reply to your original question was a bit "coy," but that is what vendors have to do, if they don't want to pre-announce product and tip off the competition.

With a 900D, do you mean something "bigger" than the 800D? What features would you add to the 800D?

With a 900D, do you mean something "bigger" than the 800D? What features would you add to the 800D?

More intake fans (definitely) and room for a larger radiator (140mm x 3) up top.

If Corsair can't make room for a larger single rad then maybe include more room for two Swiftech stackable 120mm radiators.

More intake fans (definitely) and room for a larger radiator (140mm x 3) up top.

If Corsair can't make room for a larger single rad then maybe include more room for two Swiftech stackable 120mm radiators.

You are venturing off into an area that appeals to a microscopic portion of the computing customer base. I won't say that we won't do something bigger and better in the (distant) future but what you are describing is not feasible at this time.

You are venturing off into an area that appeals to a microscopic portion of the computing customer base. I won't say that we won't do something bigger and better in the (distant) future but what you are describing is not feasible at this time.

That is the most disappointing news I have heard all day. I have read and seen so many mods on the 800D to fit more rads that my head is spinning.

From those mods I have seen, designing a case to fit a 480 rad up top and 2 240 rads side ways in the bottom next to the psu should be easy to do. You have to lose the 2 HDs but if you make the case a little larger than probably not. Check this mod out. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=238950

All I can say is that I am real sad to hear that you don't see the value in catering to this idea. More and more people would water cool if they didn't have to mod the cases. You should be the ones to push it to the next level.

From those mods I have seen, designing a case to fit a 480 rad up top and 2 240 rads side ways in the bottom next to the psu should be easy to do.

OK. Let's "compromise on a 3 x 140 radiator up top, and a lower drive cage that is easily removable, plus "cutouts" in the side panels to allow 240 radiators mounted sideways in the bottom front of the case.

Voila! Minimum retooling. That's one of the big issues with any new case.:[pouts: I seem to recall that Redbeard posted on the [H]OCP site that Corsair spent about $250 K :bigeyes: on the tooling alone for the 800D case.

Just my 2 cents here.

More and more people would water cool if they didn't have to mod the cases.

Your logic is a bit off. The people who don't get into watercooling aren't going to start off with dual loops and quad 140mm rads. I think the 3x120 on top and the 1x120 space in the back is more than enough for a beginner (and most people who already watercool).

Your logic is a bit off. The people who don't get into watercooling aren't going to start off with dual loops and quad 140mm rads. I think the 3x120 on top and the 1x120 space in the back is more than enough for a beginner (and most people who already watercool).

3x120 and 1x120 would give about 600 watts of heat dissipation with 10C Delta water temps over ambient according to some general rules of thumb I have seen.

But what about the single 140mm Intake fan? Wouldn't that reduce radiator effectiveness? Case temps?

. That's one of the big issues with any new case.:[pouts: I seem to recall that Redbeard posted on the [H]OCP site that Corsair spent about $250 K :bigeyes: on the tooling alone for the 800D case.

Just my 2 cents here.

I don't know the exact figure but as I said abov; The amount of people that would buy a new bigger and more expensive case is miniscule. At this time it makes no sense from a business standpoint to develop and tool up for a case that we would lose money on. There's no way to recoup the money we'd spend at this time. It may be feasible in the future and we are always open to new products.

I don't know the exact figure but as I said abov; The amount of people that would buy a new bigger and more expensive case is miniscule. At this time it makes no sense from a business standpoint to develop and tool up for a case that we would lose money on. There's no way to recoup the money we'd spend at this time. It may be feasible in the future and we are always open to new products.

I think the main issue is ventilation. One 140mm intake fan on a case this big?

Other than that I really like what you guys did with this product. Cable management/routing is the best I have seen anywhere. I also like the cutout so a person can change mainboard/cooler backplates easily.

The radiator thing is just a minor gripe compared to the ventilation issue.

But isn't this case rather expensive for a beginner? Can we really call this a product aimed at the entry level user?

That being said, another poster has already estimated 800D will handle two Swiftech stackable 120mm triple rads with one layer of fans sandwiched in between.

More and more people would water cool if they didn't have to mod the cases. You should be the ones to push it to the next level.

But isn't this case rather expensive for a beginner? Can we really call this a product aimed at the entry level user?

everything Corsair makes (except VS ram) is aimed at the computer enthusiast and maybe the post entry level consumer, i see nothing wrong with that, do you?

/.02

I The amount of people that would buy a new bigger and more expensive case is miniscule.

Well, I guess you would know better than I. If the new case would be more expensive, than I would have to agree. It's already an expensive case. It's hard for me to believe that you couldn't work more rads into the design of the case without it being more expensive. We're just talking about one more 360 rad on the bottom.

It doesn't have to be a dual loop, and anyway, a dual loop is not really anymore work than a single. It may be a little more tubing and you might want to add another pump but if you can do a single you can do a dual.

The main reason though, is if you are going to use crossfire and do it with the top cards and use the top i7, you are going to want more rads. At least one 360 rad and one double rad, and there are plenty of people who will go that high.http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81684

Well, I guess you would know better than I. If the new case would be more expensive that I would have to agree. It's already an expensive case. It's hard for me to believe that you couldn't work more rads into the design of the case without it being more expensive. We're just talking about one more 360 rad on the bottom.

Voila! Minimum retooling. That's one of the big issues with any new case.:[pouts: I seem to recall that Redbeard posted on the [H]OCP site that Corsair spent about $250 K :bigeyes: on the tooling alone for the 800D case.

Making a new case is MUCH more expensive than most people realize. And you have to sell a LOT of cases to make that much money. People don't change cases as much as they do other parts of their system.

Making a new case is MUCH more expensive than most people realize. And you have to sell a LOT of cases to make that much money. People don't change cases as much as they do other parts of their system.

I hear ya, and like I said, you would know better than I. So, how are sales for the 800D. From all the reviews I've read, and all the build mods I've seen and I have seen a lot, your case seems to be very popular.

Thats why I would think that you would do very well with an even better case, especially since this is your first one and it would seem that you have taken the case building field by storm. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you haven't.

Again, you are talking about a MICROSCOPICALLY tiny portion of the computing community.

OK. After reading through this thread end-to-end, I think that what we have now is what we will have for the next year at least. That is, we have the basic frame of the 800D/700D, the box and the main inside parts. A lot of engineering and one-time tooling expense went into this design, and Corsair probably wants to maximize that investment by building as many "distinct" products as possible based on that investment.

So my guess is that a "600D" or even a "900D" will have the same overall size, the same number of drive bays, the say interior layout, as the 800D/700D.

So, what "variations" might be of interest? How about:

vents in the sides

fans mounted in the sides

bottom two drive bays replaced by mount provisions for second radiator?

accessory wheel kit

"high performance fan" option kit

and ...

A version of the 800D in pearl white or silver or primer-paint

These ideas are not © so Corsair is free to use them.

x509

• 6 months later...

Archived