Corsair Community

Corsair 250D Build Ideas

Steve Mavronis

I'm really taken by the new Corsair Obsidian 250D mini-ITX case. I was never really into small LAN party type cases before. I'm not looking for portability but my corner tower desk only has room for a PC on my left side (bad for side windows) and I don't want it down on the floor decking. I feel with the 250D case window on top, I don't have to worry about which side is facing me so that's good. Corsair doesn't make 80mm fans for the dual mount areas on the back, or what should I do there? Anyway for some time I've been working on a Google Docs Spreadsheet planning out many build possibilities for a target timeframe of Spring 2014 with a budget around $2,000. A friend of mine is also relying on me for guidance for his next gaming computer. Some stuff in my list are just there as a placeholder as I make substitutions. For example I may go with a Blu-Ray writer instead of DVD writer, etc. Please review my list for the 250D build (other Corsair cases are there too if anyone find them useful) and give me Mini-ITX motherboard suggestions with good onboard audio, dual UEFI graphical BIOS and maybe Wi-Fi capability would be good too.

Yep me too, I was about to buy the coolermaster 130, lucky me when I saw the 250D, Where I live it's really hot and I knew the 130 would mean trouble. Pretty sure the ventilation is better on the 250D. I don't think my build is gonna be that expensive..... Anyways here are my recommendations for the 250 build!!!

I would definitely go with the Asus MOBO that's around $223-230 as there is

no better than this on itx

1- MAXIMUS VI IMPACT (it has 3 daughter boards, wifi, just google it doesn't get better than this and far better than the evga!!

2- If its only for gaming you're better of with the i5-4670k

3- Yep its a pity corsair doesn't make 80 mm fans for this case!!

Im thinking of buying 2 noctuas 80mm fan which are also nice

4- This case will fit a H100i which is pretty nice if you are going to overclock

and the best cooling for your cpu

I would definitely go with the Asus MOBO that's around $223-230 as there is no better than this on itx

1- MAXIMUS VI IMPACT (it has 3 daughter boards, wifi, just google it doesn't get better than this and far better than the evga!!

2- If its only for gaming you're better of with the i5-4670k

I'll looking into that ASUS board. [EDIT] <<< I like these features and it has a dedicated piggy back sound board and power module. What about CPU air coolers that will fit around those stand-up modules? I'm assuming we can talk about them since Corsair just sells liquid cooling now? I updated my spreadsheet with the Asus Maximus VI Impact ROG Mini-ITX for this system.

Do you think the 850W Corsair power supply is too much for a single GeForce 780Ti? I might be able to get buy in a Corsair Obsidian 250D configuration with 650W or so and shave some cost off? It's a shame the power supply bay is all covered up so you can't show off the PSU logo.

The reason I chose the Intel i7-4770K CPU is for overclocking ability. I also plan to air cool my PC because I'm still paranoid about liquid cooling even though it looks and performs better. Don't want my dream PC to become a wet nightmare. ;)

I'll looking into that ASUS board. [EDIT] <<< I like these features and it has a dedicated piggy back sound board and power module. What about CPU air coolers that will fit around those stand-up modules? I'm assuming we can talk about them since Corsair just sells liquid cooling now? I updated my spreadsheet with the Asus Maximus VI Impact ROG Mini-ITX for this system.

Do you think the 850W Corsair power supply is too much for a single GeForce 780Ti? I might be able to get buy in a Corsair Obsidian 250D configuration with 650W or so and shave some cost off? It's a shame the power supply bay is all covered up so you can't show off the PSU logo.

The reason I chose the Intel i7-4770K CPU is for overclocking ability. I also plan to air cool my PC because I'm still paranoid about liquid cooling even though it looks and performs better. Don't want my dream PC to become a wet nightmare. ;)

Nvidia has the 780ti TDP= 250 watts and it usually goes up to 262 watts

so 550 watts will take care of your whole system, and 650 watts PSU should be more than enough. The RM650 goes for about 110 on amazon, what about the AX760 or i version?

For cooling your best option is the H100i, it has been tested and compared

and always ends at the top. But for air cooling I like the noctua's. Many people

find them ugly but I seem to like their European look.

Ok thanks, I redid my specs for an RM650.

Now I'm looking into low profile CPU air coolers for a mini-ITX motherboard like the Asus Maximus VI Impact for example. If I use a horizontal fan cooler then I guess it's best to blow air away from the motherboard leaving enough space at the top? I think the vertical cooler clearance is like 94mm? It will be hard to fit a vertical fan mounted cooler to blow air towards the rear dual 80mm vents.

[EDIT] Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. What's the Obsidian 250D height restrictions for an air CPU cooler between the motherboard processor socket and top window? 94mm (3.7") seems short. I mean the GTX 780 Ti Graphics Card is almost 4.4" high.

Anyway since Corsair doesn't make air CPU coolers I hope this is okay and not a conflict. If not just delete it, no foul intended. I think this will be my mini-ITX perfect air cooling solution for a Corsair Obsidian 250D with an Asus Maximus VI Impact ROG motherboard:

Thermalright AXP-200R Low Profile CPU Cooler (Height w/Fan 73mm)

- According to their supported motherboard list including example photos it will fit! Plus the AXP-200R version is designed to match the ROG color scheme!

It appears in photos that it will stick a little past the motherboard front past the RAM slots. I hope the Obsidian 250D optical drive bay doesn't interfere!

Ok thanks, I redid my specs for an RM650.

Now I'm looking into low profile CPU air coolers for a mini-ITX motherboard like the Asus Maximus VI Impact for example. If I use a horizontal fan cooler then I guess it's best to blow air away from the motherboard leaving enough space at the top? I think the vertical cooler clearance is like 94mm? It will be hard to fit a vertical fan mounted cooler to blow air towards the rear dual 80mm vents.

[EDIT] Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. What's the Obsidian 250D height restrictions for an air CPU cooler between the motherboard processor socket and top window? 94mm (3.7") seems short. I mean the GTX 780 Ti Graphics Card is almost 4.4" high.

Anyway since Corsair doesn't make air CPU coolers I hope this is okay and not a conflict. If not just delete it, no foul intended. I think this will be my mini-ITX perfect air cooling solution for a Corsair Obsidian 250D with an Asus Maximus VI Impact ROG motherboard:

Thermalright AXP-200R Low Profile CPU Cooler (Height w/Fan 73mm)

- According to their supported motherboard list including example photos it will fit! Plus the AXP-200R version is designed to match the ROG color scheme!

It appears in photos that it will stick a little past the motherboard front past the RAM slots. I hope the Obsidian 250D optical drive bay doesn't interfere!

The thermalright looks good and fits the asus which is good as there are

"NOT" many out there. If you overclock to 4.0 it can handle it but extreme overclocking (4.5) you will need the H100i. The NH-L12 is also compatible

and slightly better but it will definitely break the color scheme.

google "Eight Low-Profile CPU Coolers For Your Compact PC"

Also the asus needs good airflow inside the case if you're gonna overclock!! Very Important!!! You might be able to fit

vertical heatsinks inside the 250D but not with the Asus. And IMHO putting a big heatsink on a mini itx case wouldn't look

good unless it was a case without transparent window.

The thermalright looks good and fits the asus which is good as there are "NOT" many out there. If you overclock to 4.0 it can handle it but extreme overclocking (4.5) you will need the H100i. Also the asus needs good airflow inside the case if you're gonna overclock!! Very Important!!!

It would appear the 250D will have good airflow paths inside the case. After they go retail I hope to see many more build reviews. I hope at least one does an air cooled system. That being said this Spring still feels far away so maybe I'll reconsider liquid cooling by then and use the Corsair H100i in it. Otherwise if I hear from Asus Impact 250D builders that the AXP200 won't clear the case chassis optical bay, I may have to fall back to the AXP100 which is smaller.

Are there any scale drawings of the 250D guts useful for build planning? I saw a Japanese website 250D review had a small screenshot from the manual showing a line drawing:

http://www.gdm.or.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/250d_55_876x622.jpg

A better quality one of the side view framing and internal structure could be measured to scale to double-check part interference for coolers and such. Otherwise just have to wait to see other people's builds and hope they use similar components as you'd want.

Are there any scale drawings of the 250D guts useful for build planning? I saw a Japanese website 250D review had a small screenshot from the manual showing a line drawing:

A better quality one of the side view framing and internal structure could be measured to scale to double-check part interference for coolers and such. Otherwise just have to wait to see other people's builds and hope they use similar components as you'd want.

okay this are my calculations base on the videos on youtube

290 - 86 -3.17 -73 = 127.83 mm ( 5 inches left ) between the top window and the AXP-200R

127.83 + 73 = 200.83 ( 7.90 inches ) (space left between the mobo and the top window, so with the 4.4 inches vga card you should have 3.5 inches left between the card and the top window)

this are just my calculations :biggrin:

This is what I'd like to do in the Obsidian 250D, if the case cooperates! The only orientation on the Asus Maximus VI Impact with that low profile AXP-200R cooler is with the heat pipes towards the rear, but it overhangs the front of the board by around an inch it looks like - over low profile memory. It's pretty huge covers the board middle (large RoG style fan) but if the case interferes could drop back to the smaller AXP-100 which is a little less as good for overclocking. This image is from the ASUS RoG booth at Computex 2013.

http://s2.dmcdn.net/BlJGE.jpg

This is what I would like to build:

Corsair 250D case

ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact motherboard

EKWB Maximus VI Impact AIO waterblock

EKWB 5.25 DDC pump/reservoir combo

Hardware Labs Black Ice Stealth 240 radiator

Hardware Labs Black Ice Stealth 140 radiator

Corsair memory ASUS ROG MARS 760 graphics card

I might have to go with the slightly smaller Thermalright AXP-100R (comes with 100mm fan but fits 120mm or 140mm fans too), or some other brand like Noctua. My motherboard measurements on the Asus Maximus VI Impact motherboard show that with the cooler heat pipe direction parallel with the I/O shield, the side of it comes right around the edge of the inside memory slot and definitely fits in between the VRM and PCIe slot. If I use the larger AXP-200R the heat pipes have to go parallel to the PCIe slot and over the memory slots past the board edge. With the AXP-200, I don't like the idea of removing the cooler if I want to change memory modules.

This screen capture is from that Japanese review, translated. It's an interesting photo showing up to 150mm total height for an air cooler? Others say the spec is 94mm. That's a 56mm difference from this measurement! How close to the clear window, with an air cooler grill radiating heat, is too close?

http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/250d150mm.jpg

This screen capture is from that Japanese review, translated. It's an interesting photo showing up to 150mm total height for an air cooler? Others say the spec is 94mm. That's a 56mm difference from this measurement! How close to the clear window, with an air cooler grill radiating heat, is too close?

Yup, found that review also, and my plan is to go with a Noctua NH-C12P SE4 cooler. Its total height with fan is 114mm, so it should leave around 4cm of clearance to the window. It *might* require removing the OD cage, but I'm not planning on using it anyway.

Also going to replace the stock front intake and side exhaust fans with Noctua's NF-A15 and NF-F12 fans.

I like the Noctua stuff too. I'm looking at the NH-U9B SE2 at the moment because I think it will clear the RAM slots if sideways with airflow pointing out the side exhaust fan. Not sure if that's optimal for air intake but if installed with airflow pointing out the back (adding 2 Noctua 80mm fans) I'm hoping its front cooler fan can be removed to access the RAM modules if I need too. Corsair memory with low profile heat spreaders are acceptable to me if I can't fit larger ones. I just want the option of removing them without removing the cooler itself. The NH-C14 and NH-L12 low profile coolers are an option too but I'm trying to avoid the cooler grill itself from overhanging RAM modules and I don't want to remove the optical drive bay. Also too bad they don't make a vertically larger NH-L9i (100% perfect fit cooler) because that would be the cleanest look ever if you could overclock with it. I want to try my hand at CPU overclocking (Intel i4770K from 3.5Ghz to at least 4Ghz or so) but not anything crazy or record breaking. I'm not sure what is even possible with air cooling only.

With that NH-C12P SE14 just hope 36mm is enough volume over the fan to suck in air at the top, it should be. At least it should promote a good circular weather system over the motherboard! Here's a roughly made scale graphic showing probably the best fits over an Asus Maximus VI Impact motherboard. I'm thinking those bottom side upward slants might give enough room to remove/replace tall memory in the inside slot. I'll have to check to see if those S-curved heat pipes clear the VRM module at the top and if the cooler is above the SFX Audio daughter board. In the second illustration Corsair Dominator RAM fins will hit or go in between the cooler fins, so LP Vengeance versions may be better:

http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/asusmaximusviimpact-noctuanhc120se14.jpg . http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/asusmaximusviimpact-noctuanhc120se14-2.jpg

FYI for all those investigating air cooling the Obsidian 250D case - be aware of your chosen motherboard's topology with the graphics card PCIe slot and memory slot's distance relationship from the CPU socket. Depending how you orient an air cooler you don't want it to close to the PCIe slot or anything vertical like VRM modules, etc., or any case structures.

With that NH-C12P SE14 just hope 36mm is enough volume over the fan to suck in air at the top, it should be.

Yeah, Noctua FAQ states that 15mm is enough clearance from the top panel.

My plan is to pair it with a Asus Z87I-PRO, which should have the same basic layout as the Maximus, here's how it looks with the cooler installed. At least when oriented like that the dimms are going to be pretty hard to access.

My plan is to pair it with a Asus Z87I-PRO, which should have the same basic layout as the Maximus, here's how it looks with the cooler installed.

In that photo looks like the fan is reversed to blow upward. The cooler is designed for the fan to blow through it.

I wish Noctura would have made the fan to have the corners with the brown pads. I think they look better.

In that photo looks like the fan is reversed to blow upward. The cooler is designed for the fan to blow through it.

I wish Noctura would have made the fan to have the corners with the brown pads. I think they look better.

Oh, true, well spotted. :) Not my pic though, just found it from reddit while researching if the cooler will fit the board.

The included fan's successor (it's discontinued), NF-A15, does have the brown corners, too bad they haven't updated the cooler bundle with it.

I did another Asus Maximus VI Impact mockup with the Noctua NH-U9B SE2. I found it will only fit this way going front to back. I assume one could unclip the fan for memory install/removal of Corsair LP Vengeance memory. Also there should be room for some optional dual 80mm Noctua fans at the back that might help pull some more air through the cooler.

http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/asusmaximusviimpactnhu9bse2front.jpg

When I tried it side to side I found the exit fan might hit into the VRM riser, unless you remove it as you might not need it there anyway next to the big case side fan. ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~snmavronis/asusmaximusviimpactnhu9bse2side.jpg

Here we go, these could be the perfect footprint CPU air cooler(s) for mini-ITX systems like the 250D:

http://www.noctua.at/images/computex_2013/noctua_92mm_d_type.jpg

I just saw this on Noctua's news page from Computex 2013 last year! It says this new 92mm cooler is expected to be released Q1 2014. It has a 95x95mm footprint (CPU cooler mounting area) so it won't block anything. The one below looks like it could hold up to 3 fans! It might come out just in time for my Spring build. They have another new 95x95mm footprint low profile coolers on the way also with 100% compatibility with memory and PCIe slot: http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=news_list&news_id=90&lng=en

http://www.noctua.at/images/computex_2013/noctua_65mm_ltype.jpg

[EDIT] Bad news - Noctua wrote me back and the release date has been pushed back due to other projects. Don't know when they will come out now. :(

After watching more 250D reviews on YouTube today I was thinking about that 95mm air cooler spec on the box. Even though there is 150-158mm total inside height, maybe the 95mm comes into play of an installed DVD drive in the 5.25" bay partially obstructs a cooler. I now think 95mm is a safe number depending on the design of the CPU cooler you choose.

Archived