Corsair Community

ML120/140 fans with an MSI Z370's Corsair RGB Header

gerloss

Hi everyone, new forum member here. I looked through the relevant stickied and popular posts but unfortunately I am still a little bit confused.

I am building a new PC and I already have some of the components I am planning to use.

Among these I already have three ML140 PRO and one ML120 PRO.

I have already ordered an H110i cooler and an MSI Z370 Carbon pro gaming mobo, which are on their way.

The configuration would consist of the H110i in the front of a Meshify C case with two of the ML140 PRO fans and an ML140 PRO and the ML120 pro in the back/top of the case as exhausts.

I am new to RGB lighting so I was already confused before I realized that I ordered 3x single packs of ML140 PRO fans instead of the 3 pack with the RGB hub and stuff. So currently I have the aforementioned 4 ML fans without any RGB hub or controller.

The motherboard I have coming however states that it has a header named JCORSAIR which could help me as they say:

Simply connect CORSAIR Lighting PRO RGB LED Strip(CORSAIR SKU CL-8930002) or RGB Fan Series products to the hub. Through MSI’s CORSAIR RGB LED extension cable and JCORSAIR pin-header, you can easily control these CORSAIR components with the MSI Mystic Light App.

Does this mean that I will only have to get one of the RGB Fan LED Hubs separately and plug into the JCORSAIR header so I can control all my RGB lighting from one software? The linked Corsair product page says that it is compatible with the LL, HD and SP fans without any mention of the ML series.

I am really puzzled as none the MSI or Corsair product pages contain specifics for an RGB beginner like me.

What do I need to buy/do to take advantage of RGB controls and the JCORSAIR header while also properly powering and controlling the fans in PWM mode?

(I also ordered a 2x8GB Kit of Corsair Vengeance RAM (CMR16GX4M2C3000C16) but I guess these don't have a separate rgb plug, so I'll hopefully just see how I can control them as I boot up the system...)

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for the tips in advance.

I have no personal experience with the MSI Corsair header.

That said, from what I understand, it should work like a single LED channel from the Lighting Node Pro (NoPro). Assuming that this is the case, then you'll only need the Fan Hub. Yes, it does work with the ML fans.

HOWEVER ... on additional monkey wrench in the works is the cable. When you order the Fan Hub from Corsair, it doesn't come with any cables to connect to a Lighting Node Pro and I'm not aware of anyplace that has these cable, including Corsair. This has been an ongoing complaint on the forum. It is possible to use 3 standard, jumper-type cables (like those used for breadboards) but the aesthetics of that may not be ideal and you'd have to be super-careful about getting them connected correctly as you won't have the guides to make sure that you plug them in correctly.

A JCORSAIR1 cable is provided with the motherboard for connecting to a Corsair HUB. The provided extension cable goes from the motherboard JCORSAIR1 header, to the CORSAIR Fan Hub.

JRGB1 and JRBG2 support 5050 RGB LED Strips 12v.

JRAINBOW1 supports RGB LED Strips 5v.

The required extension cables for JRGB1, JRBG2 and JRAINBOW1 are also provided with the motherboard.

Supported fans with the motherboard headers are HD120, SP120 and LL120, with a maximum of 6, 6, and 5.

ML fans might be support with a Bios update, or they simply were not available for testing at the time the manual was printed, thus the reason they are omitted from the list of supported fans.

Pages 21, 41 and 42 of your manual also has diagrams with more detailed information.

For review before purchase, I recommend you read the manual so you don't waste your time and money on hardware.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-manual

A JCORSAIR1 cable is provided with the motherboard for connecting to a Corsair HUB. The provided extension cable goes from the motherboard JCORSAIR1 header, to the CORSAIR Fan Hub.

All right, then I will hopefully be fine after purchasing an additional Corsair RGB HUB, since I can connect my 4 ML fans rgb cables to it and then connect the fan to the JCORSAIR header.

EDIT: I have to correct myself as it turns out the JCORSAIR1 header on the MSI Z370 is a 5V connector and as far as I know the ML series fans need to be connected to a 12V connector.

So my research continues, how I will solve this, I am starting to get lost here.

All right, then I will hopefully be fine after purchasing an additional Corsair RGB HUB, since I can connect my 4 ML fans rgb cables to it and then connect the fan to the JCORSAIR header.

EDIT: I have to correct myself as it turns out the JCORSAIR1 header on the MSI Z370 is a 5V connector and as far as I know the ML series fans need to be connected to a 12V connector.

So my research continues, how I will solve this, I am starting to get lost here.

There are two connections on the ML-RGB fans. One is a standard 4-pin PWM fan connector. This should be connected to a standard 4-pin fan header. It MUST run in PWM mode and be provided with 12V of power.

The other is the Corsair 4-pin RGB connection. It's the same connector on all of their RGB fans and takes 5V. If you feed that one 12V, you'll blow the LEDs out.

I am interested to hear about your experiences with the JCORSAIR header tho.

• Corsair Employee
Just a heads up though, if you have the the fans connected to the hub then the hub connected to the JCORSAIR header, you can only control the fan lighting effect through MSI's Mystic lighting software. Corsair Link support via JCORSAIR header will come in the future.

Corsair Link support via JCORSAIR header will come in the future.

Ooooh really?

Does that mean anything more? Mystic Light or Aura integration? I know that Aura SDK is painful as all get out but it would be cool.

Of course, it would also significantly influence my purchasing decision when the z390's/8 core Intels come out too.

This is very interesting, does this mean you can connect other motherboards that are equipped with a digital/addressable rgb header (5v, data ground) to the HD-120 controller? Granted I would need to have an adapter.

I am looking at purchasing 3 addressable fans, though want something that is compatible with the motherboard as I have 4 RGB headers (2 digital, 2 analog) on my motherboard. I already bought 3xRGB fans that are not Corsair as I wanted to have 3 fans that I could plug into the motherboard. Now I want 3 more.

I am speculating that the data being sent from the JCORSAIR1 header is standard 5v Digital RGB data. I am also assuming that the JCORSAIR1 uses a different connector to prevent people from damaging their HD-120s as I expect many would just plug it into the 12v analog header and kill their LEDs.

Also do you need to use the Sata Power connector for the HD-120 RGB Controller as from as 5v is already provided via the motherboard?

This is very interesting, does this mean you can connect other motherboards that are equipped with a digital/addressable rgb header (5v, data ground) to the HD-120 controller? Granted I would need to have an adapter.

Dunno. It would depend on what type of addressable RGB LEDs it supports. See http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029 for some interesting details.

I am looking at purchasing 3 addressable fans, though want something that is compatible with the motherboard as I have 4 RGB headers (2 digital, 2 analog) on my motherboard. I already bought 3xRGB fans that are not Corsair as I wanted to have 3 fans that I could plug into the motherboard. Now I want 3 more.

I am speculating that the data being sent from the JCORSAIR1 header is standard 5v Digital RGB data. I am also assuming that the JCORSAIR1 uses a different connector to prevent people from damaging their HD-120s as I expect many would just plug it into the 12v analog header and kill their LEDs.

Also do you need to use the Sata Power connector for the HD-120 RGB Controller as from as 5v is already provided via the motherboard?

The 12V and 5V connectors are completely different. Yet, some folks have managed to plug the 5V Corsair fans into the 12V headers; there results were as you'd expect.

The RGB controller would still need the SATA connector. That's what actually powers the fan LEDs. It doesn't take power from the LED connection at all.

Dunno. It would depend on what type of addressable RGB LEDs it supports. See http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029 for some interesting details.

The 12V and 5V connectors are completely different. Yet, some folks have managed to plug the 5V Corsair fans into the 12V headers; there results were as you'd expect.

The RGB controller would still need the SATA connector. That's what actually powers the fan LEDs. It doesn't take power from the LED connection at all.

I should have taken a closer look at this thread yesterday, before I replied to it.

So the HD-120 controller appears to be a dummy hub that connects the leds of the fans starting from fan1 to fan6 in serial. This turns every fan that is plugged into this strip into a one long LED strip. As the software knows the static amount of LEDs plugged onto each fan it can do different effects like red Marquee from LED 0-17 or do a radar green effect on all fans (0-5,6-11,12-17). The hub also supplies the 5v power to the LEDs as well as the separate controller or commander that can be plugged into this system as well as digital 5v motherboard headers.

From what I read in the post the lights can be powered off the motherboard and the restrictions are due to the motherboard. Mine can supply 2amps, which should in theory be more than enough amperage to power 18 LEDs. Will still do more research to make sure.

Each HD fan has 12 LEDs and is rated for 0.47A +/- 10%.

The Lighting Node Pro to Fan Hub cable only has 2 wires. The third (+5V) is missing. The fan hub may not accept power on that third line. It may only accept it from SATA. So even though 2A is enough for 3 fans, if the Fan Hub doesn't take power on that pin, it won't matter. And a fourth fan would put you near or possibly over your limit.

Each HD fan has 12 LEDs and is rated for 0.47A +/- 10%.

The Lighting Node Pro to Fan Hub cable only has 2 wires. The third (+5V) is missing. The fan hub may not accept power on that third line. It may only accept it from SATA. So even though 2A is enough for 3 fans, if the Fan Hub doesn't take power on that pin, it won't matter. And a fourth fan would put you near or possibly over your limit.

I am not speaking about the Node Pro.

Motherboard =>

Digital Header (5V,GND,Data) =>

Corsair HD-120 Fan Hub =>

HD-120 Fans =>

Other HD-120 Fans in serial

Corsair HD-120 Fan Hub = http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-rgb-fan-led-hub

I see RGB controller that is attached to the fan hub does have 3 wires, I am assuming the 3rd one is 5v to power the controller.

I think in theory I can use the motherboard header, though as you mentioned I am limited to the power on the MB header.

The only reason I want to use a motherboard header for power is I have no sata or molex power cables attached to my PSU. I am using a NVME M.2 for a HDD.

What ever I do I will have to confirm things with a multi meter. Worst case I could always get a commander and plug it into the USB, though that will make having digital LED headers on my MB moot.

I am not speaking about the Node Pro.

Motherboard =>

Digital Header (5V,GND,Data) =>

Corsair HD-120 Fan Hub =>

HD-120 Fans =>

Other HD-120 Fans in serial

Corsair HD-120 Fan Hub = http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-rgb-fan-led-hub

I see RGB controller that is attached to the fan hub does have 3 wires, I am assuming the 3rd one is 5v to power the controller.

I think in theory I can use the motherboard header, though as you mentioned I am limited to the power on the MB header.

The only reason I want to use a motherboard header for power is I have no sata or molex power cables attached to my PSU. I am using a NVME M.2 for a HDD.

What ever I do I will have to confirm things with a multi meter. Worst case I could always get a commander and plug it into the USB, though that will make having digital LED headers on my MB moot.

I don't think you're understanding me. I do know that you don't have a Lighting Node Pro. I'm telling you that the cable from the Node Pro to the Fan Hub only has two wires ... it doesn't have the +5V line.

So, internally, it's entirely possible that if you try to power the fan hub from that third pin, which isn't connected in the typical install, it won't work. Because the Fan Hub is intended to have its own power source and not draw power from the +5V line from the Lighting Node Pro.

I'm not saying that's definitely the case, but it's entirely possible. I'd have to take a fan hub apart to see if that third pin is actually connected to anything. I can actually see it as an engineering requirement not to take power on that third pin to prevent overloading the device supplying the power as a single fan hub. When loaded to capacity, that fan hub will need a full 3.72A to power the fan LEDs. Not taking power from whatever is connected to the fan hub and relying exclusively in the 4.5A SATA connection ensures that it has enough power and doesn't cause issues with whatever is connected to it. That's the safe path and certainly one that I would take, if I designed the things.

I understand that's not how you want it to be. You want to power the cables from the motherboard. In your case, 2A would be enough. But what I'm trying to tell you is that it entirely possible that it won't work the way you want it to and there's good reasons for that.

Archived