Corsair Community

Proper settings for CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B and Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

staticx57

Hi there. Those are the two parts I am concerned about.

Getting it out there when run at SPD speeds, 1333MHz and 1.5v it will pass memtest just fine 7 pass and 18 hours. However windows is very unstable. It will BSOD throwing memory specific errors and driver errors. I am assuming that the driver errors are due to the memory errors.

Next step, turn on XMP and still leave everything else stock on stock volts. It will hang on "loading operating system"

Next step turn the voltage of the ram up to 1.6v it will now boot but will be fairly unstable. Ok let me turn the QPI/VTT voltage to 1.15v. Much better and it worked stable for a day but the next day I got a BSOD on startup. Still not there. Turned up the voltage to 1.625v and it is mostly stable but not until it "warms up."

those sticks are only rated for 1.5v. Having said that i would set the dimm voltage back to 1.5v and raise your QPI to get stable instead. With large capacity kits it's not unusual to have to compensate for the increased load on the memory controller. Try 1.25v and go from there if you have to

No go. I reset the CMOS for a clear slate. I set it to XMP Profile1, set the QPI voltage to 1.25v and tried to boot the computer. It hang at "loading operating system." I went back and lowered the QPI voltage to 1.16v and the DRAM voltage to 1.625 and I could boot the computer again. I don't get it.

I have the latest non BETA BIOS. Each stick by itself passes memtest as well as all sticks together with just XMP being the only settings changed outside of the defaults. Loading windows even with just one stick does not work. Not without overvolting the sticks.

Motherboard problem?

So my system decided to throw me a curveball. I tried running memtest again but this time I let it run while I went to sleep with all sticks in. It gave me 862 errors on test 7 on pass 4. I wanted to repeat the test and to eliminate all other factors so I reset my BIOS for the nth time and manually set the timings 9-9-9-24 2t as printed on the sticks and enabled XMP and left everything else on auto. Loaded up memtest and this time it wont even run. It comes back with the error that it encountered an unexpected interrupt. I tried it a few more times with the same result. It errors about 5 seconds into the test. And when I first got the computer and started with these BSODs I ran memtest and it made it to pass 7 with all sticks in and no errors. Slowly failing memory?

Is this motherboard or RAM?

• Corsair Employee
It is hard to say but I would test the modules one at a time to be sure one is not failing. But if they all pass at least three passes then I would check for the latest MB BIOS then load setup defaults and enable XMP and try and set the memory Voltage to 1.55-1.6 Volts and see if its more stable.

one of my sticks produced on error on pass #4 and complete 4 more passes without error. I am going to try it without that module and see how stable it is. Ram set at XMP and 1.6v QPI 1.2V and Ram speed timings and Speed set manually to 1600MHZ and 9-9-9-24 2t.

• Corsair Employee
NP and I would suggest getting the RMA and you can always once you have the RMA conformation contact our customer service with a Credit card and request an Advanced RMA where we send the new modules before you send the failing ones.

Archived