Corsair Community

H115i Pro Custom curve

Sacco Belmonte

H115i Pro with two extra LL140 RGB fans on the top.

Just found out you can have custom curves. (was somewhat hidden in iCUE)

Do you guys prefer coolant temp or CPU package temp reading?

I find that with coolant the fans kick real slow.

But with the CPU package they kick too fast cause the upper limit is 60c. I would prefer an upper limit of 75c

Also (while in CPU package mode) having a curve that starts at 50c or below makes no sense, you want the fans to slowly kick in above 60c.

Making the curve so the max is say 60% at 60c doesn't really work. The fans go all the way to 100% no matter what.

Also no individual custom curves for each fan. I can create two curves but cannot choose a sensor per fan.

Finally.

Having two custom curves both tied to the coolant readings with min at 20% and max 100% when coolant reaches 35c I managed to get both top/bottom fans to match speed at about 1000RPM under heavy load.

That gave me the best temp results with 72c on load at a very quiet operation. (given here is chilly at 19c ambient now)

Also the fans now kick in automatically. Which is great.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

[ame]

[/ame]

Under load:

[ame]

[/ame]

Absolutely use coolant temp as the control variable. This is how the cooler really works. For each degree you go up in coolant temp, you also go up +1C in cpu temp. The reverse is true as well. If your coolant goes from 25 to 30c, then the most you could possibly reduce cpu temp at any fan speed is 5C. The real trick is your coolant curves are temp baseline dependent. The perfect curve at 20C room temp is going to be too loud when the room/case is 27C. You may need to use seasonal curves.

For now, you might consider experimenting with fixed rpm speeds to get a handle on fan speed value. Changes are usually very small between 100-200 rpm in fan speed. For a lateral comparison, I use 600-900 rpm on my H115i Pro and 8700K at 5.0/1.30v. Typical coolant change is +4-5C. I could pin them at 600 rpm and it would likely only cost me 2C.

I tried for a month with fixed speeds and so far I have a good idea of how the whole kit operates and the ranges I'm playing with. I'm also focusing on silent operation since this is a sound studio but I eventually render videos so i wanted an ultra quiet setup that can also deal with high temps.

Yes I realized using the CPU temp is not as good. But not because is inherently bad, is because iCUE has a weird range that suits better coolant than CPU. Anyway, I decided coolant is best for now.

As other mentioned there's no real need for a Extreme pump, at 2100RPM is enough for everything and most importantly silent.

At 1100RPM all four fans, individual curves and balanced pump seems to work the best on a chilly day, and it seems like is gonna kick faster in a hot day if needed (if the coolant exceeds 36c they should run at max) . I live in Salzburg, here is mostly chilly.

The perfect curve at 20C room temp is going to be too loud when the room/case is 27C

Yeah I assumed that, I need to run this profile longer and see how fans change when ambient/coolant temps are higher. Good thing is they're 600/300RPM at idle, so the difference will hopefully not be audible.

I'm also using core affinity and thread count much more consciously now.

For instance there's no point on using all 16 threads in my 1800x for rendering. I can use 6 cores / 12 threads for heavy 3D rendering and still have the machine running colder and responsive to continue working in some other programs or even play games. (Crysis3 maxed out or Starcraft II maxed out, no hiccups)

Thanks for your detailed infomation. :)

Those presets are not "intelligent" and do not adjust themselves for your conditions or use. With your room temp, they likely work fine. However, you can always replicate it or make it better through the custom curves. Assuming the curve tools in the upper right hand corner are accurate, that should give you an idea of where the data points reside.

Archived