Corsair Community

how to control h150i pro fans off of core temp instead of coolant

veloz

after repeated problems trying to use 9 fans (2 pairs of 3 each with splitters) + 3 seperate ones with my corsair commander pro I am trying to figure out how to use the included 3 fan plus from the h150i pro and have them ramp up based on cpu core temp and not coolant temp. Reason for this is I basically want to have all fan curves increase based on core temp so they will ramp up in unison. It seems that if for instance I set my 3 ml pro 120mm to max of 1600 rpm (or whatever percentage would end up at 1600 rpm) it just goes to full blast instead of to the max set in link. If i control the fans via the fan hubs on the commander pro everything works since except for the fact that the fan hub doesn't seem capable of handling 3 ml pro 120mm even though by spec it should work. I don't want to buy another bulky commander just to run 3 more fans, and want to have push pull on the h150i pro plus 3 additional case fans (all ml 140 pro, 2 top exaust, 1 rear exaust) This has become a royal pita trying to figure out how to run all 9 fans without an additional commander pro ...Is there some sort of powered hub that I can plug into the commander pro to run the 2 groups of fans on my h150i rad. I am using the fans which came with it and the ml 120pro...the fans which came with it are 1600 rpm max, the ml pros are 2400 rpm max....

Short answer is set the control group to CPU package temp in Link for the C-Pro controlled fans. However, this most likely will yield a whole bunch of fans that change their speed all the time and that seems opposite to your goal. I’ll have to give the rest a think over in the morning.

Am I missing something? Why not put one bank of 3 ML120s on the H150 pump fan controller. Then put the other 3 as singles on the C-Pro and then your 3x140 on the remaining slots 4-6. With Link running, both the pump controlled fans and 1-3 on the C-Pro will run from coolant temp (or whatever). You can try multiple variables for the exhaust set. With Link open you can use GPU temp or H150i Temp and that would still be better than CPU package temp for steady and balanced flow of air. At 0.22A, you could run 6 from the pump directly, although we don't have a lot of feedback on the amperage limit for the new PRO coolers. Surely it has to be 2.0A or higher.

Am I missing something? Why not put one bank of 3 ML120s on the H150 pump fan controller. Then put the other 3 as singles on the C-Pro and then your 3x140 on the remaining slots 4-6. With Link running, both the pump controlled fans and 1-3 on the C-Pro will run from coolant temp (or whatever). You can try multiple variables for the exhaust set. With Link open you can use GPU temp or H150i Temp and that would still be better than CPU package temp for steady and balanced flow of air. At 0.22A, you could run 6 from the pump directly, although we don't have a lot of feedback on the amperage limit for the new PRO coolers. Surely it has to be 2.0A or higher.

Reason I want to control all fans via the cpro is i want them to all share curves so since the aio is also case intake my airflow doesn't change from positive to negative and vice versa depending on what the cpu is doing. Also I am trying to make the 2400 rpm set (the ml 120 pro) cap out at 1600 rpm so as to balance with the ones that come with the h150i pro. I know the common suggestion is to leave the fan rpm based off of coolant temp. I guess I could hook up the 3 slower fans to the cpro and the 3 faster ones to the h150i fan headers and play around with the curves (both sets off of coolant temp) till I find something somewhat balanced with rpm. I just wish the Cpro actually worked as stated, IF it really can supply 1 amp per each header then there is zero reason why 3 fans which pull .225 amp ( I assume at max rpm...maybe I don't understand how pwm works) should overload and permanently damage the header. I would appreciate someone from Corsair explaining this better because when I called and spoke to customer service they said it should either work or not, but mine worked fine for a week or so then stopped reporting rpms properly or turning the fans (only on the header that had 3 ml 120 pros with pwm splitter cable)....alll other headers still work fine. This is second unit to act this way..what am I missing?

I have multiple pwm splitters, some which came with my h700i case, and others which bought seperately..silverstone I think. Changing the cable doesn't fix the problem, and 3 of the slower ML fans which came with the h150i pro are also running off of one CPro header and that header has never exhibited any problems, using the same type of pwm splitter ( I even switched the ones I was using with each pair and it didn't make the slower fans stop working so Its not the cables)

One question though assuming 3 slower mls (the h150i ones) work fine even long term on a single fan header would you guys think this would work???

header 1: h150i ml 120 fan x (3)

header 2: ml 120 pro

header 3: ml 120 pro

header 4: ml 120 pro

header 5: ml 140 pro x (2)

header 6: ml 140 pro

this would allow me to run all 9 off of the Cpro but maybe somewhat more balanced. Seems per specs each ml 140 draws .202 amp so that .404 amp. if amperage draw scaled with RPM and each H150i fan drew .225 x .67 amp (.67 since each fan runs 2/3rd of speed of ML 120 pro) then it would be .45 amp more or less, so a header should also be able to handle the 2 ml 140's. I think maybe at .675amp they have issues (3 x amperage of ML120 pro) hence the reason I would like an official response of what exactly seems to be the issue.

Why is the CPU Temp the control temperature that you want?

Think about it ... how is the temperature of the CPU actually going to impact any of the components that you really care about cooling? Answer: it's not going to, at least not directly. Only indirectly when it warms the coolant.

You have a Commander Pro. This means that you have 4 temperature sensors that you can precisely place to intelligently manage the internal case temperatures (which is what you really should care about) and control your fans off of those.

Managing fan speeds off of CPU temperature is a habit and a knee-jerk reaction; for a long time that was all that we really had to manage temperatures around. With air cooling, it actually makes some sense to do that too. With water cooling, it doesn't.

What case are you using? Your profile says a C70 but, from what I can tell, that case doesn't fit the H150.

Apart from anything else the temp of your cpu is more volatile than the coolant. When link wouldn't work for me I used Asus Fan Xpert to control my fans, which didn't have a setting to slave them to the coolant, so I used the cpu temps. It drove me nuts, every time the cpu temp goes up, so does the fan speed, up and down, up and down, up and .......etc. Now I am able to use Link, my AIO fans are slaved to the coolant temp and the other fans are set to various other temps, including the temps for my hard drives and ssd's. The individual fans ramp up as necessary, but generally sit at 600 ish rpm and rarely get over 1000 rpm, leading to a cool and quiet computer.

We don't have to solve the control variable issue now. This is something you can experiment with on your own and find out what is effective for your environment.

The immediate issue is where to connect the 9 fans. Under the current limit or not, using splitters from the C-Pro seems to have some missteps. If you move the one side of the H150i to the pump's controller, this will allow you to use single connections on the remainder. You still have access to multiple control options from in Link for fan connected to the pump.

The second issue is the control source. I will propose an additional choice. You seem to have an eye toward generating "positive pressure" inside the case. Whether this has a real value or not is another matter, but most people look at this through a microscope when they should take a broader view of the whole system. Regardless, if this is your intent then you most likely want to run a fixed speed on the front fans. Set a minimal level for desktop work and save it as a profile in Link. Make a second profile for load scenarios with comfortable fan speeds. You can switch back and forth with two mouse clicks from the task bar drop down menu on the desktop. This will allow you tighter control over the intake volume of air which is of more importance when the front intake restricted panel is the only pathway in. The rear and top exhaust you can set to fixed as well or use something logical like GPU temp. There are multiple options in both the Commander Pro fan section and the H150i Pro fan configuration.

If you are worried about not monitoring the CPU or coolant temperature, you can set a notification in Link with various end results (fans turn red, email, pop-up warning, etc.). You cannot overheat the CPU with the fans at moderate speed. If that happens, you have a different problem.

Sorry for the misinformation,

I use a NZXT h700i....I stripped all of the smart features out of it since besides the case everything else I had was corsair and I wanted to "Link" it all together hence the reason I bought the CPro. About using cpu core temp instead of coolant temp, my question was more of Why doesn't this work properly instead of why am I deciding to go this route. Thanks for those who explained it. I will try that setup (actually I'm doing it now) but I still am at odds about why exactly 2 different Cpros have crapped out on me specifically while using a PWM splitter on the Ml 120's (3) while the ml's which came with the h150i never posed a problem being split on another header. I guess it truly doesn't support 1 amp per header, since it basically broke with .675 amp. I know the popular response will be "We don't officially support using fan splitters" but IMHO there should be 2 versions of a Corsair commander...a Pro which has like 12 headers and comes with a led strip or 2 for like $99, and a plain version which would replace the one we have now. I just wish out of the box it had the ability to control more than 6 fans. For now I guess I will run 3 off of the provided AIO headers.

For now I guess I will run 3 off of the provided AIO headers.

Since you have the exact same choices in control variables, it would be silly not to use them. Mix and match, make them all the same... it is fairly easy to copy the curve (or fixed preset) to the other fans.

Sorry for the misinformation,

I use a NZXT h700i....I stripped all of the smart features out of it since besides the case everything else I had was corsair and I wanted to "Link" it all together hence the reason I bought the CPro. About using cpu core temp instead of coolant temp, my question was more of Why doesn't this work properly instead of why am I deciding to go this route. Thanks for those who explained it. I will try that setup (actually I'm doing it now) but I still am at odds about why exactly 2 different Cpros have crapped out on me specifically while using a PWM splitter on the Ml 120's (3) while the ml's which came with the h150i never posed a problem being split on another header. I guess it truly doesn't support 1 amp per header, since it basically broke with .675 amp. I know the popular response will be "We don't officially support using fan splitters" but IMHO there should be 2 versions of a Corsair commander...a Pro which has like 12 headers and comes with a led strip or 2 for like $99, and a plain version which would replace the one we have now. I just wish out of the box it had the ability to control more than 6 fans. For now I guess I will run 3 off of the provided AIO headers.

Yeah, Corsair's "official" stance is that it doesn't support splitters. But I've asked and the response was that it supports up to 1A per header and 4.5A overall (even though it doesn't officially support splitters). But yes, the reality does seem different; we're seeing several folks having issues with 3 fans. I can't say that I know exactly why this is but ... I can say that I do have several fans on 2-way splitters and have been running that way for months without issue. I have, in fact, 2 headers with dual fan splitters, both LL fans, and splitters on my H115i PRO.

Since you have the exact same choices in control variables, it would be silly not to use them. Mix and match, make them all the same... it is fairly easy to copy the curve (or fixed preset) to the other fans.

see that was the problem, say If on the h150i headers I selected core temp instead of coolant temp, and set the fans to max out at like 67% (just guessing what would get the fans close to 1600rpm, since the other pair that came with the h150i top out at 1600) at 60c, then they would seem to ignore the curve and run at 2400 rpm once i put the cpu under stress. at idle they seemed to work fine, so it seems you cannot control fans connected via the h150i pro headers on anything but coolant temp, at least not properly.

I don't know. I have not tried all the variable offered, except for coolant, GPU temp, and the various temp probes. Those have been consistent, even when Link is not. Using CPU temp on my 8700K would be crazy. These new CPUs never sit still, even at idle. I think you should give some consideration to the fixed fan speed idea. It solves both your pressure and control issue. Additionally, with push pull on a 360mm, you don't need anywhere near 1600 rpm for anything. You should be able to effective stress test at 1200-1300. That is a large difference in noise on a 120mm fan (and certainly 6 of them). Go ahead and run a few benchmark to compare to the coolant temp deltas, but it is likely to be around a 1C difference, even with your 5820K at 4.5 and a healthy cache overclock.

Archived