Corsair Community

780T Gaming Build

klandrum75

I was doing a gaming build with the SPEC-03 case and decided it was too small so I got myself a 780T to replace the bane case. I have removed the top drive case and I am only going to be using the bottom 3 for storage. So my question is this. Should I run 3 120mm fans in front or 2 140mm fans that are already with the case? Currently the build is like this

H115i Pro RGB (mounted on top, in push configuration)

Z370 Aorus gaming 5 MB

i7-8700K (delidded and OC'd at 5.0 ghz stable)

32 gigs of ADATA 2666 ram

Seasonic 1000W focus gold full modular PSU

Thanks in advance to any comments/suggestions.

The Beast

picture.php?albumid=745&pictureid=2039

Inside

picture.php?albumid=745&pictureid=2038

There isn't much of a useful difference between 3x120 and 2x140. Generally, you can always get slightly more air volume with 3x120mm. Typically a 120mm fan at close range will have more focus and thus better direct cooling than an open airflow style 140mm, but in a 780T that likely has no value except for drive cooling. Often the best answer is case specific. My 540 and 740 cases both can do either configuration, but I generally prefer the 3x120 on the 540 because of the mounting flanges that block part of the 140 and alter the sound slightly. It's a little thing, but possibly worth of being the deciding factor. I don't know if you have that kind of issue on the 780T. If you are running 140mm all around now, I think my preference would be to keep it that way with the soft and easy sound of an all 140mm system. 120s are a bit buzzier and the only way to reap any gains will be to blast them relatively hard. Not worth it for most people.

This is true. I really don't need the cooling possibility because of the AIO, it was mainly for aesthetics as I think having 3 120's in the front would make the case look better, especially since the ones I have left over from the previous case are blue LED which is going with my MB and AIO theme.

The only real part I need to get is a video card, but alas with the prices of GPUs being what they are I can't afford to get a top end card. Saved up for 3 months just to get what I have in the build now. I don't plan on doing any 4k gaming really so 1080p is fine with me or even 2k. I'm torn between getting a 1050ti, 1060 or a 580. Suggestions?

Archived