Corsair Community

H100i v2 and 460x RGB (wiring not placement question)

McGovern1981

Hi, So I have a these on the way and realize putting the rad on top will probably be a no for my setup. I see most people put it in the front and use the 3 case(well two) fans my question is I saw unfortunately the H100i v2 got rid of SATA power and 4 fan headers so how are most people wiring this on the Mobo. My concern is I don't want to go over 1 AMP on the CPU_FAN slot and I'll have 2 SP120 RGB hooked up with the pump instead of the stock ones. Any ideas how much if any more power that'll be if any? Anyone do a similar build board will be an Asus hero IV. Should I try to use the included fans too?

You CAN put the H100i V2 on the top of the case... as long as you don't have RAM that has all kinds of stuff sticking out the top. (In other words, you'd want low profile memory.)

As for the power, I think you'll be fine with the two SP120 RGB fans as far as power is concerned. (I'm pretty sure they pull less current for the fan spinning than the fans that come with t he H100i V2. The current for the LED's is coming from the other connector.)

HOWEVER, the SP120 fans are 3 pin fans, while the H100iV2 expects 4 pin PWM controlled fans to be attached to it. That could result in you losing the ability to control the fan speeds. So, if you are losing the ability to control fan speeds, there's little sense in using the fan headers on the H100iV2 and you might as well use fan headers on your motherboard (which might be able to control the 3 pin fan speeds.)

Ya got regular RAM was too good of a deal to pass up.... :-\ Would losing speed control of the fans be a big deal?

erm.. "regular" RAM doesn't even bother with the cosmetic "heat spreaders." All those fins sticking up don't really do much of anything for a properly ventilated case.

Regardless, if you plug the fans into your motherboard instead of the water block, you'd still be able to control the speeds (if you board supports speed control on non-PWM fans. Most Asus boards do.) You could even plug two into the same header via a fan splitter, and (assuming your motherboard can control non-PWM fan speeds) control the pair together.

I honestly don't know if you can plug non-PWM fans into the waterblock. In theory, it SHOULD work and the "PWM" control line would just be ignored.

If you can't control the speeds, they'll spin at 100% which can start to become noisy.

erm.. "regular" RAM doesn't even bother with the cosmetic "heat spreaders." All those fins sticking up don't really do much of anything for a properly ventilated case.

Regardless, if you plug the fans into your motherboard instead of the water block, you'd still be able to control the speeds (if you board supports speed control on non-PWM fans. Most Asus boards do.) You could even plug two into the same header via a fan splitter, and (assuming your motherboard can control non-PWM fan speeds) control the pair together.

I honestly don't know if you can plug non-PWM fans into the waterblock. In theory, it SHOULD work and the "PWM" control line would just be ignored.

If you can't control the speeds, they'll spin at 100% which can start to become noisy.

Oh ya most out there is blinged up now hence why I said regular the old school sticks aren't as common. Now would the fans going 100% and no control really be a big deal?

Looking at http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/sp120-rgb-led-high-performance-120mm-fan these are 3-pin voltage fans and you should use 4-pin PWM fans.

I expect the H110iV2 will not be able to control them and they will run at full speed all the time.

See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156661

Was an eyeroll really necessary? Don't help if it's a problem for you and many 460x RGBs with a H100i v2 use the 3 pin front fans. Go look on PCpartpicker....

Oh whoops missed the sound comment but would that really be the only problem? I ordered two fan splitters to give what you said a shot. My future specs look pretty similar to yours so I'd say the board can control the three pins same board :-)
If your fans are blowing at 100% all the time, it won't bother *me* whatsoever. I won't have listen to it.

On the other hand, once you get the fans plugged into your motherboard, you might find that it's really a waste of energy having them blow that hard... ever.

I have no idea which processor you are using, how much voltage your going to put into it, and if it's been delided. Those things all contribute to the amount of thermal energy that gets transferred to the water, then to the radiator, and that the fans have to dissipate.

Use Corsair Link to watch the water/pump temps rise while your stressing your system, and go back down when it's idle. The more air that pushes through the radiator, the faster that heat from the water moves into equilibrium with the air moving through the radiator (meaning that the water cools down as long as the air is colder.) So, faster fans means a slower water temp rise while stressing and a quicker water temp decline when cooling down.

Keep in mind that these asetek radiators aren't exactly designed for max cooling. They are quite thin, so there isn't much surface area (where the radiator fins meet cooler flowing air) which limits the amount of thermal transfer.

During the stress testing, at some point, equilibrium is met, and the water temp will stop going up. (If you stress it for for 24 hours and the water temp is still going up, but ambient temps are not, then you might consider the need for more air to move through the radiator.)

(...and I probably typed waaaaaaayyyyyyy more than I needed to, but perhaps someone else will read this thread and learn something.;))

You know how when you boot your computer from cold, the fans all ramp up to the maximum for a couple of seconds, well, that's how yours will sound, all the time if you can''t control them.

I notice that you have an Asus mobo, so you should be able to use the Fan Xpert software to control them using the DC setting. You won't be able to set the rad fans to work from the coolant temp, but if you set them for cpu and give them 10 seconds delay, it should work.

If your fans are blowing at 100% all the time, it won't bother *me* whatsoever. I won't have listen to it.

On the other hand, once you get the fans plugged into your motherboard, you might find that it's really a waste of energy having them blow that hard... ever.

I have no idea which processor you are using, how much voltage your going to put into it, and if it's been delided. Those things all contribute to the amount of thermal energy that gets transferred to the water, then to the radiator, and that the fans have to dissipate.

Use Corsair Link to watch the water/pump temps rise while your stressing your system, and go back down when it's idle. The more air that pushes through the radiator, the faster that heat from the water moves into equilibrium with the air moving through the radiator (meaning that the water cools down as long as the air is colder.) So, faster fans means a slower water temp rise while stressing and a quicker water temp decline when cooling down.

Keep in mind that these asetek radiators aren't exactly designed for max cooling. They are quite thin, so there isn't much surface area (where the radiator fins meet cooler flowing air) which limits the amount of thermal transfer.

During the stress testing, at some point, equilibrium is met, and the water temp will stop going up. (If you stress it for for 24 hours and the water temp is still going up, but ambient temps are not, then you might consider the need for more air to move through the radiator.)

(...and I probably typed waaaaaaayyyyyyy more than I needed to, but perhaps someone else will read this thread and learn something.;))

LOL! thanks.

You know how when you boot your computer from cold, the fans all ramp up to the maximum for a couple of seconds, well, that's how yours will sound, all the time if you can''t control them.

I notice that you have an Asus mobo, so you should be able to use the Fan Xpert software to control them using the DC setting. You won't be able to set the rad fans to work from the coolant temp, but if you set them for cpu and give them 10 seconds delay, it should work.

Ya I'll try something like that I think shame the didn't make the SP120 RGB PWM thing's would be a lot more straightforward for the 460x RGB.

The simple solution is to connect your SP120 RGB fans that came with the case to the motherboard headers for control, instead of the pump block. You don't want your fans running 100% all the time. It's just annoying and not necessary.

Using the pump block and the coolant temperature is the most efficient control variable, but when you have the radiator front mounted and it covers 2/3 of your intake fans, there may be other considerations besides the coolant or CPU temp. My preference would be for a fixed speed when I know there is going to be a combination CPU/GPU load (like gaming). Most motherboards have fan control software package these days. Even if you are not going to use that, the motherboard BIOS controls will be preferable to letting the fans blast away. Even the case fan controller may prove useful for this.

You can also swap all of the front fans out for the HD120 PWM version that will work with Link, but besides the obvious expense, they will not work with the case's fan controller without further modification, if that matters to you. There are a few threads going on the main page about this.

OK thanks! now why the 10 second delay?

OK thanks! now why the 10 second delay?

So your fans don't ramp up and down like a mad accordion trying to keep pace with the extremely dynamic CPU temperatures. You do not need them to do this. Slow and steady wins this race and that is the real value in water cooling. The system can hold a larger amount of heat at one time without adversely affecting the CPU temperature. A very small air cooler has limited capacity and needs to shed its heat almost immediately.

Archived