Corsair Community

No boot with CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 XMP and Rog Strix 270i / i7-7700K

tyrannosaurus

[sOLVED]

Asus ROG Strix 270i Gaming

i7-7700K

Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 - This memory is in the QVL of Asus.

As I've posted before I've bought G.Skilll 3200 memory in error as the i7-7700K only supports 2133/ 2400. Besides I could run XMP 3200 with no problem except heat.

Now that I've put in Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 I'm not able to boot in XMP mode at all. PC kept silent. Fortunately my Computer started after power off and suggested other settings in BIOS. Now it works @2133.

Has someone been lucky with XMP with this board or with manual settings (and besides which are the manual settings exactly?).

Solution:

Chose XMP. If asked by Bios something like "Tune all cores" chose "Intel Standard" - "No".

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/170326152144t0ep1vmnx9.jpg

http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/1703261522323eliwnumx5.jpg

http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/170326152318vtolj1n5xc.jpg

You may need to be a little more specific about what's happening when it fails to post? Q-code on motherboard? Does it go to the BIOS recovery screen ("Overclock Failed. Press F1"? Or does it lock at the Windows loading phase?

It would be stunning if any board could not run 2400, so there likely is another explanation. As Emissary mentioned last time, sometimes these BIOS are written to change other variables they really shouldn't when you enable XMP. I would be surprised if much changes at 2400, but I would have to have to board to know for sure.

The primary timings for your kit are 16-16-16-39. In order to input those, reboot and go to the BIOS. First, disable XMP wherever you selected it.

Press F7 to bring up the Advanced BIOS screen. Use your arrow keys to navigate to columns right to AI Tweaker/Extreme Tweaker.

Go down that column until you see the DRAM timing control option. Hit enter and it will bring up a sub menu like the one below.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9278/ASUS%20RVE%20BIOS%2016%20-%20DRAM%20Timing.jpg

Enter your 4 primary timings in the first four boxes.

CAS Latency = 16

RAS to CAS delay = 16

RAS to PRE Time = 16

RAS to ACT Time = 39

Leave all the rest on Auto. The board will pick appropriate timings. If you make a mistake in box you were not supposed to touch, type "A" and hit enter to restore the Auto setting.

Normally, you would also then set a voltage (1.20) for the memory bank, but in this case the board should select 1.20 automatically. It is located further down in the Extreme Tweaker column (DRAM Voltage). Auto settings for SA Voltage should suffice at 2400, but that can be amended later if needed. That value is both CPU specific and varies from platform to platform.

You could have done these same steps with your original kit to run at 2400 or just a bit more to tame the wild side at 3200. That seems to be something of an issue on the Kaby's.

Thank You so much for your detailed information! What happened when I've activated XMP, hit save and exit was that the screen went black and nothing happened any more. Normally it would restart after half a minute like it sucessfully did with G.skill XMP 3200. In case of Corsair XMP I've hit the power button with no reaction after the reset button which doesn't help. At last I pulled out the power cable and waited a bit. After that I could start again and the bios showed a notification with something like wrong setting and hit F1 to change them.

I will try later the manual settings like you've beautifully shown with your screenshot.

So the settings are what CPU-Z shows under SPD:

XMP-2400: 1200 MHz 16.0 - 16- 16- 39 - 55 - 1.200 V.

Besides my G.skill Ripjaws 3200 had no XMP-2400 setting shown in CPU-Z und SPD.

Would be interesting to get to know what other owners of my board use - memory and settings - but I guess as this product is brand new there's little to find in the web.

XMP-2400 is working now. Fingers crossed.

I've tried the XMP-2400 again. There was a screen opening in the Bios asking something like if I want to tune all 4 cores (yes) or Intel standard (no). This time I chose No. This was the item I forgot to mention in the opening post. Saved changes and reset. It took just about 5 seconds and I was relieved hearing the beep.

The frequency (DDR-2400) and the timings (16 -16 -39) are showing up now.

The "RAS to PRE Time" = 16 option is not present in my Bios.

Some boards calculate RAS to PRE based on the preceding value. Not an issue. Interesting that it works now and I am surprised there is a memory issue at all at 2400.

I noticed you have a 960 m.2 as your boot drive. It can be tricky to get the boot options set up the first time and the boards always want to try to make SATA 1 the default. I have jammed myself up in similar fashion more than once after a BIOS update or reset. I often need to "loop" around once back to BIOS before attempting to load windows to make sure the m.2 is properly recognized as the only secure boot option. Those settings are not reflected visually as you change them in the BIOS. Failing often results in a frozen or locked state before the Windows loading screen. That may or may not have been your issue, but it is something to keep in mind when you update the BIOS in the future.

Yes, the installation has been nerve-stretching. I wanted to install it with Windows 7 64 but the drive was not recognized. Tried the nlite method with including nvme drivers - didn't work. So I was forced to Windows 10 Prof 64 which was not my preference. But it worked flawlessly.

It's strange that under SATA Information the M.2 drive is n/a - not listed but shown under Boot Priority. Several times the boot order has been corrupted and other SSDs were preferred.

What I did to get it boot from 960 Pro was to disable all other Sata Ports.

Problem re-appeared.

After flashing the BIOS with new version 0607 and activating XMP profile no post was possible.

After inserting DDR-2400 MHz and 16-16-39 manually post happened.

I'm still wondering which memory sticks work out of the box as the Asus QVL isn't reliable what XMP concerns.

The difference is in the secondary and tertiary timings, which are key values for DDR4. The XMP is a universal preset of values and those do not change based on your CPU, motherboard, or anything else. When you set the primary and leave the rest on Auto, the board will fill in those values based on values received from the motherboard maker, who has tested for that specific frequency with that specific CPU and board. It is also likely those values are slightly more relaxed, since the board makers aim is to get everything to boot every time, not the tightest set of values possible.

I am a little surprised the XMP is an issue at 2400. This is much more common at higher frequencies, but also note that enabling XMP often changes more than timings and DRAM voltage. System Agent voltage, BCLK, strap, and other values may also be changed. Whether this is a positive or negative is highly board dependent. Regardless, I would not consider this a real loss. I have never used the XMP preset on DDR4 boards both for the issue above at launch, but then also all my Corsair modules will run better than their XMP values and after a few days I move past the preset and find better ones. Besides, given that XMP can change other values, it is almost as much work to find what it does change compared to setting 4 manual primaries and being done.

Thank you for your elaborate answer. Obviously XMP is defined differently by the makers.

Otherwise it's not to grasp why XMP of G.Skill with 3200 MHz is working without complaint while Corsair XMP is failing at 2400 MHz.

Asus seemed to have changed something within the new BIOS.

I'm with you that it won't make much difference. But the point is that it should work as advertised and the sticks are in the QVL of Asus.

How shall the customer find the right memory? It should be easy to get some information from Corsair which sticks to take.

Besides memory finder did not work in my case.

Desirable the official Corsair staff is giving a statement to this issue.

I'm just keeping these sticks because they under 4 cm height and are not interfering with my cpu cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, the installation has been nerve-stretching. I wanted to install it with Windows 7 64 but the drive was not recognized. Tried the nlite method with including nvme drivers - didn't work. So I was forced to Windows 10 Prof 64 which was not my preference. But it worked flawlessly.

It's strange that under SATA Information the M.2 drive is n/a - not listed but shown under Boot Priority. Several times the boot order has been corrupted and other SSDs were preferred.

What I did to get it boot from 960 Pro was to disable all other Sata Ports.

Just finished a build over Asus Rampage V Edition 10, with the same M.2 drive as yours, 960 1TB. I also noticed for the first 2 or 3 bootups that the BIOS would not recognize that drive. I had three other HDD's hooked up to SATA ports, and 2 BD players, and all were recognized in the BIOS. Since I was messing with other stuff I didn't address that yet, but just to add to the anecdotal information here, I never wound up having to do anything at all to address this. After several boots it just found the drive. I did not have to disconnect the HDD's. And I had two other SSD's that I actually did not connect yet because they had prior Windows versions on them, but even after I connected them up, my boot sequence still was perfect with (the BD player first, then...) the M.2 drive first in the boot sequence.

I don't know if that helps anyone else reading this, it was just my experience.

The only thing I don't like, and maybe this is part of the issue, is that the M.2 drive is in the disk listings subsequent to everything else. For example, Disk 0 is not this M.2, it's an HDD, and so on. So in Windows when I go to disk management, it's the last disk listed. Usually the first disk is the boot disk and at the top of the list. Not game breaking, but in my opinion strange sequentially. :bigeyes:

The only thing I don't like, and maybe this is part of the issue, is that the M.2 drive is in the disk listings subsequent to everything else. For example, Disk 0 is not this M.2, it's an HDD, and so on. So in Windows when I go to disk management, it's the last disk listed. Usually the first disk is the boot disk and at the top of the list. Not game breaking, but in my opinion strange sequentially. :bigeyes:

The board makers still have SATA ports as the priority and that is probably fair. Of course, they also like to make it tricky with their SATA numbering and the ports on the side are not necessarily in sequential order themselves.

If you are using Compatibility mode (CSM) in the boot menu, it can get complicated and you may have pieces necessary to boot on some of your other drives. That is where the disconnecting advice comes from and a lesson hard learned with a forced reinstall. As for secure boot, if you mash delete to get back to BIOS after the initial save and exit, it should then show Windows Boot Manager as the sole option (with the M.2 drive in parenthesis after).

Yes, SATA was definitely prioritized. BIOS showed Windows Boot Manager first, followed by a BD player second, and the actual onboard M.2 SSD drive third in the boot sequence. That makes sense to me and I never changed it. Secondary bootup just flips the first two in that sequence to make the BD player first.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: BIOS Update 0704: XMP is working again.

But it's pointless for me now as I've switched to Vengeance LPX 3000. :sunglasse

I don't know if that helps anyone else reading this, it was just my experience.

In my case the 960 pro shows up in Boot order but until now there are no further information about the drive nowhere in UEFI. Obviously the board has some sort of artificial auto learning skill which only works after giving the input again and again. In Win 10 diskmanagemant it's visible and in Device Manager. Had to install the Samsung driver manually. Though the driver does not show up in Device Manager. Strange, have to check this.

In my case the 960 pro shows up in Boot order but until now there are no further information about the drive nowhere in UEFI. Obviously the board has some sort of artificial auto learning skill which only works after giving the input again and again. In Win 10 diskmanagemant it's visible and in Device Manager. Had to install the Samsung driver manually. Though the driver does not show up in Device Manager. Strange, have to check this.

This is normal and expected. You always have to manually install the Samsung driver and you should use it instead of the MS one. That driver will be in the storage controller section (Window Storage on my AIDA), not Device Manager. It's called NVMe Samsung SSD 960 SCSI Disk Device.

This is normal and expected. You always have to manually install the Samsung driver and you should use it instead of the MS one. That driver will be in the storage controller section (Window Storage on my AIDA), not Device Manager. It's called NVMe Samsung SSD 960 SCSI Disk Device.

Yes, You're absolutely right. Just forgot this. It's under storage controllers listed as Samsung NVMe Controller. So everything is working fine.

Archived