Corsair Community

Unable to boot with XMP Profile with Asus Z270 Tuf Mk2 and Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15

Sawk

I will start by saying I can boot the system if I manually set the RAM Frequency to 3000Mhz. I am typing this while running in this mode.

When I change to XMP Profile this is what changes:

AI Overclock Tuner from Auto - XMP

DRAM Frequency from Auto to DDR4-3000MHz

Dram Voltage from Auto to 1.3500

DRAM CAS# Latency from Auto to 15

DRAM RAS# to CAS# from Auto to 17

DRAM RAS# ACT Time from Auto to 35

I am running the latest available BIOS of 0702.

With XMP Profile the system does not boot, have to power it down manually then it enters bios safe mode as Overclocking has failed.

So far it seems stable not using XMP with the manual setup.

As these are 2 different products than the other thread of VERY similar issues I thought it best to start a separate Thread, Apologies if that is incorrect.

I have many other pictures that I could post of the BIOS Settings while under XMP Profile mode if necessary.

Different mobo/ram combo here, but when I was assembling my system last year I tried everything and basically the only workaround was just to use a mobo/ram combo that was officially supported for XMP by Asus for the latest BIOS.

I'm guessing you've already done this, but I'd check that you're using a stick & rev that's officially supported by the mobo/BIOS rev.

DIMM's are currently installed in A1/B1 configuration.

Not likely to make any difference moving to A2/B2.

I will check the version of the Dimm's when I get home. I presume I have to pull the DIMM's to find this or would it be on the packaging they came in?

Different mobo/ram combo here, but when I was assembling my system last year I tried everything and basically the only workaround was just to use a mobo/ram combo that was officially supported for XMP by Asus for the latest BIOS.

I'm guessing you've already done this, but I'd check that you're using a stick & rev that's officially supported by the mobo/BIOS rev.

Correct, I only buy off the QVL list now. Years ago I didn't and paid the price :(

This is strange because I just check and the corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 version 4.23 appears in the compatibility QLV list as a dual slot and XMP capability.

But Drops the XMP profile and configures the RAM manually. For my part I have the Corsair vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15, the XMP profil (3000 cas 15/17/17/35) works fine but manually the ram works without problem to 3400 in 15/15/15/35 for 1.37V slots A2/B2 on asus Strix 270G with I7 7700K. Much more powerful than the XMP profile.

Tries these seetings and you will tell me the news

This is strange because I just check and the corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 version 4.23 appears in the compatibility QLV list as a dual slot and XMP capability.

But Drops the XMP profile and configures the RAM manually. For my part I have the Corsair vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15, the XMP profil (3000 cas 15/17/17/35) works fine but manually the ram works without problem to 3400 in 15/15/15/35 for 1.37V slots A2/B2 on asus Strix 270G with I7 7700K. Much more powerful than the XMP profile.

Tries these seetings and you will tell me the news ����

You are suggesting to run 3000MHz memory at 3400MHz?

I have zero need to be overclocking the system at present. 4.2GHz (4.5GHz turbo) is plenty fast. I did buy the K level processor so I would have the option should a need arise.

That's not a huge OC on the Memory so I may try it.

Hi,

i have the same issue with corsair cmk32gx4m4B3600c18 on my Asus Maximus IX Formula.

I have test some things, the Ram works when i adjust the Agent and Vccio manually. But i think there is a other Problem. I checked the Timings in Bios and CPU-Z.

I see that my Board set the tRFC wrong. Maybe check the tRFC and set it to a higher one. When i downclock the Ram to 3000 it works without Problems.

My Board set the tRFC to 420 but when you read any test in internet i saw every Screenshot with the Ram have a tRFC from 630-640

Maybe thats your Problem too.

I can´t try it today at home, but i checked it last night and saw this things and in the morning bevore work i checked different tests in the internet.

Tomorrow i set the ram manual to 630 and check it.

Sorry for my bad english =)

Last night I checked the version of the DIMM's, they are 3.21.

However, since I had them out I thought I'd try them in A2/B2 configuration. Seems they now work with XMP Profile enabled! Did not expect to see that happen.

Now, if I decide to get another pair of these DIMM's will XMP still work? My guess is probably not.

I'm contacting the shop I got them from to see if they'll do an exchange on them. Failing that would Corsair do an RMA Exchange for proper version DIMM's?

*Update* NCIX.com were awesome, Cross Shipping RMA for me to get DIMM's that will work. They are sending me CMU16GX4M2C3000C15R 2x8GB DIMM's which are also on the QVL list. He mentioned these are brand new stock so the version should be fine and they will check to ensure they are version 3.21.

Keep in mind enabling XMP does more than change the primary timings and DRAM voltage. It most certainly has specific secondary and tertiary timings that are key on DDR4 overclocking and your BIOS may also change related voltage settings (VCCIO, VCSSA) when XMP is enabled. When you enter the primary timings and leave the rest to Auto, the board selects values from a programmed table. I can't specifically comment on the 270 series, but most Asus boards have been more compliant when allowed to assign their own secondary and tertiary timings compared to XMP. This is not a defect in the memory. It's the required tweaking for any overclock.

Combing two different kits, even when the same version, is not guaranteed to work. If you need 4 x 8GB, you would better off returning all of it for a matched kit in that size.

Keep in mind enabling XMP does more than change the primary timings and DRAM voltage. It most certainly has specific secondary and tertiary timings that are key on DDR4 overclocking and your BIOS may also change related voltage settings (VCCIO, VCSSA) when XMP is enabled. When you enter the primary timings and leave the rest to Auto, the board selects values from a programmed table. I can't specifically comment on the 270 series, but most Asus boards have been more compliant when allowed to assign their own secondary and tertiary timings compared to XMP. This is not a defect in the memory. It's the required tweaking for any overclock.

Combing two different kits, even when the same version, is not guaranteed to work. If you need 4 x 8GB, you would better off returning all of it for a matched kit in that size.

I am not mixing kits, I'm replacing the one with the other.

• 1 month later...

I need to resurrect this thread.

First, My system has been running flawless with the A2/B2 configuration for a while now.

This may serve as a warning or perhaps a new issue Corsair should be aware of.

Asus recently released a new BIOS for this motherboard. Bringing support for Intel Optane Memory. as well as a couple of fixes.

Being a fan of normally keeping my BIOS as current as possible I loaded it on.

Well the original issue is back now in the A2/B2 configuration... System will not post...

I still need to try this BIOS with the original A1/B1 configuration to see if that will work with it.

BIOS Details.

TUF Z270 MARK 2 BIOS 0906

1.Complete support for Intel® Optane Memory

2.Fixed PXE issue.

3.Fixed M.2 device issue (Plextor)

4.Fixed MemTest86 issue in multi-CPU selection modes

I was able to roll back without issue and the system is once again stable.

Anyone else encountered issues with this?

I am not sure how that is a Corsair issue. You changed the BIOS and it is likely its values changed. The board makers need to make their settings work with the memory, not the other way around. You can't make physical changes to modules every time somebody puts out a new BIOS. This kind of stuff tends to happen when you are close to the edge of stability.

Try the usual manual primary settings and keep an eye on the SA voltage. The defaults are often strong on Asus boards. Better still, stay on the roll back version unless there is a critical update for you on that list. Asus made a complete mess of multiple platforms on that last round of BIOS updates, including long established products. They broke the phase control on X99 boards, their board lighting shut-off does not work on multiple platforms, and I have not had any m.2 issues on multiple boards --- right until I loaded in that last version with the "fixes". I would wait for the next one.

Archived