The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2017, 02:18 PM
wackomann wackomann is offline
Registered User
wackomann's PC Specs
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England, UK
Posts: 12
POST ID # = 899905
wackomann Reputation: 10

Holy moly, this is looking AWESOME!
Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Boddaker's Avatar
Boddaker Boddaker is offline
Case Modder
Boddaker's PC Specs
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Where the beer flows like wine
Posts: 17
POST ID # = 900144
Boddaker Reputation: 10

Originally Posted by wackomann View Post
Holy moly, this is looking AWESOME!
THank you wackomann! :)

Here's my smoothing technique.. since directly sanding the PLA doesn't work too well (the friction just creates heat and gums up the plastic, making the surface more rough), I decided to coat the panels with an epoxy putty. It's a two-part system that you knead together into a dough. After a few hours it hardens to a strong but light-weight substance.

Using gloves, I just smear the putty onto the surface of the panels. Once cured, it's much easier to sand than the PLA.

I sand down until I start seeing the ridges of the PLA, leaving all the valleys filled.

Here's the bottom panel. There are a few divots here and there, and I'll go back and spot fill those.

After sanding all the panels, I had to throw them onto the case for an overall look. Then I decided to test the hovering capabilities as well..

Getting the repulsorlifts dialed in! Of course, once I add all the hardware, I'll have to re-adjust them to account for the added weight. :P

Less than 2 weeks to go! Hope I can make it..
Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Boddaker's Avatar
Boddaker Boddaker is offline
Case Modder
Boddaker's PC Specs
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Where the beer flows like wine
Posts: 17
POST ID # = 900550
Boddaker Reputation: 10

Ok, time for the Monday Modding Update! :)

Getting down to the wire now, with about 10 days left in the competition. I was hoping to get the Speeder primed and all one color over the weekend, but things never work out the way you want. But I'm really close and should have it prepped and ready to paint this evening! Fingers crossed..

Anyway, here is what I did manage to get done.. Mounted the exhaust ports onto the bottom panel by cuttin a few holes to match the four pipes.

Of course, in my haste, I cut the small holes too large and had to add a support piece in behind with the correct size holes. I used the plate as my template, but forgot that the small tubes were smaller at the other end. doh!

Thankfully I didnt make the same mistake on the other side lol..

Onto the side panels. Luckily I didn't have to print any of this since they are just flat panels, and my printer is still down. So I used .08" thick styrene sheet. Going off the reference pics, I drew up the design for the panel sections and seams.

I used thinner sheets to make the subpanels that break up the flat surface. I also curved the left end of the panel to create the waste-gate, or gills that are on each side of the speeder.

A closer up shot of the front gill. I cut away the center portion of the front nose, and will add some wire mesh in behind for effect.

Then I added some faux hinges on the right to simulate an access panel.

Movin on to the other side, this panel will be a bit more involved, since it has the video card fans, and will have a window integrated into it so you can see all the PC components inside.

After taking measurements withe the EVGA 1080 SC2 in place, I figured out where the fan grills were going to be, so I started cutting the slots out. Beginning with pilot holes for each slot, I used the scroll saw to finish the job.

Slots cut, now I can figure out the rest of the panel, and where the window will go. I must have gone through 6 or 7 different designs before settling on one I liked.

Even with the window as large as I could make it, I decided to go with a barn door style hinged panel so I could open it up completely.

I finally get to use these acrylic hinges I've had laying around for a couple years. These will go on the window side..

..and just standard metal hinges for the left. I'm splitting the barn doors right at the fan grills.

Hinges on!

And a close up of the acrylic hinges.

Now with the panels finally done, I can start prepping for paint! I still have a few items left to fabricate, like the windshield, seat, and some random engine detail parts, but the main body is complete. I spent the last few hours on Sunday smoothing all the remaining parts with the epoxy putty, and will be sanding everything tonight, and hopefully get things primed. Then I'll be painting and detailing the rest of the week.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.