Corsair Community

H100i Pump Noise

echosky

Hello all,

I recently purchased an H100i figuring the pump issues were worked out O_O, everything installed fine and temps are good. I noticed there was a Corsair adapter for the fans to plug into the pump. It turns out that when the fans are running off the pumps SATA power connection I hear pump noise and it does not go away no matter position etc. I have tested this and it is running quietly now when my fans run off motherboard 3-4 pin connectors. Seems as though running the fans on the same power source as the pump has some kind of power draw that is causing the issue. I'm not sure whether this is the same issue the other poster had below me but I have found a temporary workaround for the issue at least for me that I thought I would share.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the H100 had this problem when not getting enough power as well? I don't know why this has not been fixed yet. You'd figure the second iteration would've went through QA testing for this. It's not a total deal breaker cause I can bypass the issue but it basically means I can't run the fans off the pump or control them via corsair link commander.

http://youtu.be/B5h1Y1r8S34

Here's the YouTube link RAMGUY. I also noticed that the noise occurs once any fan is connected either one or two onto the pump block. It is definitely not as noticeable with one fan connected, but once both are connected it gets louder. I have also tried supplying the the pump connector with a dedicated SATA power cable with no other devices feeding off it but it did not make any difference. Hope this helps.

I have the same issue, the noise definitly come from the fans when they aren't at full speed (that explains why it doesn't happen when the fans are plugged on the motherboard). Once they slow down, there is a sort of "vibrating" noise very annoying, if I stop the blades with my finger, it continues for several seconds before stopping.

Same issue with mine. The pump is silent...but the fans plugged into the H100i make a grinding noise. Unplug the fans from the H100i and onto motherboard headers, all good regardless of speed. Not sure what to make of it. Also, back cpu bracket had one of the screw holes with bad thread. Couldn't use it at all. Simply used the bracket from my H100 which works fine. Where's the quality control Corsair?

The fans are not proprietary, they are just standard 3-pin, so can be swapped out with some Gentle Typhoons or some Noctua NF-F12s with adapters. Sounds like a winning combination.

Anyone remember when Blu-Ray first came out, the players cost $2000, and they threw in a cheap HDMI cable that was worth about 98cents just to get you started? I see an analogy here. Same thing when you purchase a water-cooling kit for $300, you keep the pump, the reservoir, the radiator all the good parts, and throw the fans away, or use them in a Home Theatre rig.

Looking at the bright side and ultimately more important, the pump IS dead silent, and sexy as hell.

(sorry for my poopy english, I'm Belgian)

I think the problem comes from the way the H100i is modulating the voltage to lower the speed of the fan and not from the fan itself.

There is a similar issue with corsair link and AF serie fans at medium/low speed.

• Corsair Employee
It's not the pump after all. Just wanted to make sure that we all on the same page here. For those who are claiming that the fans are noisy, have you guys used the Link software to slow them down? because if you just plug it in and let it run, it'll just run at max speed. I wanted to make sure that this is the case.

The noise of the fans at full speed is not the issue here, it's when they slow down that the "rattling" noise increase, and this noise is very annoying... At full speed, there is no "rattling" noise at all...

You can ear that the "rattling" noise decrease when the fans are running faster with corsair link in this video :

It's not the pump after all. Just wanted to make sure that we all on the same page here. For those who are claiming that the fans are noisy, have you guys used the Link software to slow them down? because if you just plug it in and let it run, it'll just run at max speed. I wanted to make sure that this is the case.

The pump is fine. When I plug in a stock 400R exhaust fan and run it off the H100i I hear no noise. Also the noise is coming from the pump as well when the stock fans are in use because I have manually stopped them with my hand and still hear the rattling noise. It does go away though after a couple seconds which I assume is because the fans are not in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJBuD_8aksc&feature=youtu.be

I have just set up my H100i and also have the horrid grinding noise. In my case it is %100 the fans. They rattle like mad. It seems the H100i is using a PWM signal to drive voltage only fans ?

If you manually stop the fans they are vibrating like mad when stopped. They stop vibrating for a second then spin up to max and level out to the grinding noise again.

This is not really good after all the issues with the H100, How could this possibly get through any sort of quality control is mind boggling.

Hopefully a fix will be along soon as my new uber cooler is currently next to useless.

Archived