The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > USB Flash Drives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 258 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 307253
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46
Lightbulb Flash Drive Won't Format? Try This

I recently had a Flash Voyager 8mb drive get to a state in which I could not use it or format it. The entire file directory was corrupted and the file names all were intermingled with what I can only describe as hieroglyphics. Sorry, I did not get a screen shot of it but, if you see it, you will know what I mean.

Also, I could not format the drive using any of the regular formatting methods. This made me think that not only was the file table corrupted, the Master Boot Record was corrupted and that the partition (and thus the entire drive) was unusable and unformattable. I tried a Windows based partition utility, a command line format, and Partition Magic in DOS. None of these worked.

As a last resort, I dug out the trusty old Windows98 boot floppy. This floppy utility has the Fdisk program and with it, I was able to revive my drive. For those of you unfamiliar with how to use Fdisk, here is a step by step tutorial. I hope this helps some people.

I used the WIN98 SE OEM image which I found at www.bootdisk.com
Lots of good utilities to be had there. You can also use a disk burning program to make a bootable CD with the Windows98 utility on it. If you do this, obviously, you'll need to set the system to boot from the CD first. However, I did mine with a floppy so we'll go with that.

Once you have extracted the image and made your floppy disk, you will need to enter your bios and make certain that your system will boot from the floppy disk. If your floppy is already first in your boot order, you can skip this step.

Save the settings, and reboot:

When WIN98 boots, you will have 3 options. In this case, select option 2 as you will not need CD-ROM support. If you are using a CD-ROM copy, use option # 1.

Once it boots, you will get an A: prompt. Type Fdisk and hit enter:

Your next 2 prompts are inquiries about disk size, enter (Y) for both:

Here, you will want to check and make sure the current fixed disk drive is your USB drive as most likely Fdisk will not detect your USB drive as # 1. So, select option # 5:

In my example, my 8gb Flash Voyager is disk #2, so I selected (2) and hit enter:

Your partition should show up, even if it is damaged. You'll want to select #3 to delete the existing partition:

You'll now want to select option # 1 to delete the primary DOS partition:

The next step is a verification of the proper partition. As I only had 1 partition, I selected (1):

Enter volume label is another verification step. Since mine has no label, I left this blank and hit enter:

And, the point of no return, ARE YOU SURE? I chose (Y):

Now that your drive has no partition information at all, you'll need to create a new DOS partition, option # 1:

And, option #1 again as you must have a primary partition first:

Once you make this choice, the program will verify the entire drive integrity and take you to the next menu:

The next option will ask if you want to use the entire drive capacity for the primary partition. I chose (Y) and the program again verifies the drive integrity:

Then, it again verifies the choice to use the maximum drive size and I chose (Y):

Once this is complete, if your drive is functioning properly, you will see a verification that your drive has a primary DOS partition and that it is using the entire drive space. You can now format your drive and use it again.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 08-29-2007 at 05:36 PM.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 307257
Default Reserved for Phase II

Reserved .... to be continued.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 PM

POST ID # = 386864
adiman Reputation: 10
Default Not recognized

Hi,
I have the same problems with a 16 gig Corsair Voyager and I'm trying your workaround.
My problem is that the usb key is not recognized by fdisk as a "fixed drive".
Does anyone have any idea?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:20 AM
dan_me's PC Specs

POST ID # = 387463
dan_me Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to dan_me
Default BootIt

Use BootIt - Lexar USB Flip the Removable Media Bit Tool

http://www.pendriveapps.com/2008/05/...edia-bit-tool/
http://files.filefront.com/lexar+usb.../fileinfo.html

"
<Flip Removable Bit> button is on its own, it's not related to other setting in window.
It changes the "removable bit" in the UFD's firmware to the opposite value, so it can set the device non-removable or reset it back.
>>>The issue with partitioning is most UFD's are marked with a "removable bit". This tells the system to treat the device as a removable or fixed disk. Windows XP does not recognize removable disk with multiple partitions nor lets your partition them. I found that the Lexar utility named "Bootit" is able to change this bit on the 16 gig flash Voyager and hence allows you to partition the drive in XP.<<<
"

Compatible UFD's:
-16 gig flash Voyager
-Lexar of course
-16 gig OCZ Rally 2

Old 03-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Choto Cheeta's PC Specs

POST ID # = 392365
Choto Cheeta Reputation: 10

Hi,

I am having same problem with my USB 8GB Corsair drive, unable to format as Windows is reporting that there is no media present in side the USB storage :(

When trying to format, it says, No disk / media present in the drive

Windows 98 SE (Installation CD) simply doesn't detect the pen drive.

Is there any option to get it running without trying RMA ? As I have some imp data in the device..

Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM

POST ID # = 392552
tick Reputation: 10
Default the following helped me :-)

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/10/16/how...ck-partitions/

http://www.msfn.org/board/Multiple-P...OS-t69211.html

Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 396153
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Please try and format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization. Then run the test again and see if that helps.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM

POST ID # = 396219
Mike Buxton Reputation: 10

Hi guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
Please try and format the drive with the Format utility from the SD-CARD Organization. Then run the test again and see if that helps.
This is solution is not for W98SE users. Win 2000 or above is needed to try this.

My regards

Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 AM

POST ID # = 396875
Timmy Schu Reputation: 10

Hi there!

Hey just wondering how I burn a bootable cd with the 98 exe you mentioned?

Using Nero?

Many thanks!

Old 04-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Th3_uN1Qu3's PC Specs

POST ID # = 396889
Th3_uN1Qu3 Reputation: 10

Burning DOS CDs is very very tricky. If you don't have a floppy drive, try Hiren's Boot CD, which can be burned the regular way (Nero's Burn Image option or any other program that can deal with ISOs). Hiren's Boot CD has lots of useful utilities and diagnostics, including several versions of Fdisk. I always have a copy with me.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM

POST ID # = 398591
online Reputation: 10
Default New 64GB Flash Voyager can't format

Hi,
Got it today and it was recognized by Windows. Showed 64GB capacity. But couldn't copy all files I wanted so I decided to reformat it. And then it failed. I mean, it is mounted on Windows (Win2K and WinXP) but whenever I invoke format, it says "Format failed" and quits. Any idea what I can do?

Code:
E:\>Format F: /FS:ntfs
Insert new disk for drive F:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is NTFS.
Verifying 64000M
Volume label (ENTER for none)?
Creating file system structures.
Format failed.
By the way, Corsair EzRecover doesn't see it and Lexar BootIt doesn't recognize it either. No luck with Panasonic SDFormatter either. Windows sees it but can't format.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 398614

Quote:
Originally Posted by online View Post
Hi,
Got it today and it was recognized by Windows. Showed 64GB capacity. But couldn't copy all files I wanted so I decided to reformat it. And then it failed. I mean, it is mounted on Windows (Win2K and WinXP) but whenever I invoke format, it says "Format failed" and quits. Any idea what I can do?

Code:
E:\>Format F: /FS:ntfs
Insert new disk for drive F:
and press ENTER when ready...
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is NTFS.
Verifying 64000M
Volume label (ENTER for none)?
Creating file system structures.
Format failed.
By the way, Corsair EzRecover doesn't see it and Lexar BootIt doesn't recognize it either. No luck with Panasonic SDFormatter either. Windows sees it but can't format.
Did you try the method in the first post of this thread?

Old 04-22-2009, 06:49 PM

POST ID # = 398930
online Reputation: 10

Yes, I did try the fdisk from Win98 and it worked without problems. I can't still format it, however. Tried it under Win98, Windows Millennium, Win2K, WinXP and even Vista. All utilities I could find were of no help. The stick shows no errors but formatting fails.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM

POST ID # = 403808
KellyFranssen Reputation: 10

Mmmmm. Thought it might be a good idea to clean my Corsair GT 16GB after a year of use. It was getting slooooooow. So I tried to format is through Vsta's diskmanagement. It stops however, telling me that the formatting was not succesful. I tried cmd, but didn't work. Disconnected the drive, then connected and in the command I used the format, trying NTFS and FAT32.

At 49% it stops. And now what? I am using a laptop, no floppy disk available. I am running Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire 6935G. So startup-cd is probably NOT just Windows Vista, but a sort of recovery DVD.

Can anyone tell me what to do? Is there a booteable 98SE CD? If I had this, it would be simple (if it does work this way).

Kind regards,
Kelly

Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 403809

Check at www.bootdisk.com

Also, most burning programs will make a bootable CD for you. You have to supply the image though so you'd need to find an ISO of the WIN98 program since you don't have access to a floppy.

Also, if you have access to another computer with a floppy drive, you could use another system to do this.