Corsair Community

Back plate necessary?

mbarry

I purchased a Corsair H60 a few months back, and finally got around to do the install last night and ran into a problem.

I'm attaching a picture of the side of my case where my motherboard sits. There is no way I can get the H60 back plate installed, because the motherboard is screwed into this panel in about 12 places. I suppose I could unscrew the motherboard to get access to the motherboard bottom, but I'm still not sure the H60 backplate would fit between this panel and the motherboard.

Am I missing something? Is it still possible to install the H60? I've never put one of these things in, but from the videos I've watching on installing the H60 it seems like you need the back plate to screw the cooler into.

Thanks..

Mike

Back.thumb.jpeg.e28e7bd864348cd224983d77ed08a6eb.jpeg

Yes, the backplate is necessary. It's what keeps the CPU block on the CPU. Without it, you loose the proper contact and conductivity. No thermal transfer. Hot in a fraction of a second.

It should fit under there, although it might be easier to unscrew the motherboard from the front and do it that way.

I figured as much. Just wanted to double check.

I suppose I could try to take the top off and see if I can slide it in that way, but I seriously doubt I'm going to unscrew the motherboard from the panel just to put this in. I will probably sell it - it's unopened and the plastic is still on the box.

Thank you for your help, c-attack!

Mike

It is an older case. I built this system in 2010. :)

When the grease finally wore off after 8 years I got the fan off and reapplied grease. (This is about a year ago). Had trouble getting the fan back on because one of the fasteners had a broken tip. I was able to get the other three back on and it's held since. Putting the H60 on would have been a good idea to stretch out the life of the system, but it's just time to get another one!

Thanks!

Mike