Corsair Community

Can iCUE control a 4-pin 40mm VRM fan?

mrpetrov

Hi folks

I'm adding a Noctua 40mm 4-pin fan onto my Asus Maximus X Hero motherboard to cool the VRM. I'd like to control it by iCUE, as I don't want to add any other control software (risk of conflicts, bloat, etc). This fan will be linked through iCUE to my VRM temperature.

Will iCUE recognise this fan and will I be able to create a custom curve for it (the VRM temp shows up in iCUE already)? Does this fan have to be connected to my CoPro to be recognised and controlled by iCUE?

Many thanks.

It will need to be connected to the Commander Pro to be controllable through iCUE. Likely iCUE does "recognize" your motherboard fans, but that is display only.

Are you sure you need a VRM fan for the Hero X? I know Asus made it overly difficult to track the VRM temp in the BIOS and thus other monitoring software as well. Then there is the question of why they did this, but unless you are running an extreme set-up, this platform has the coolest VRM of anything I have had in the last 10 years. I had a long, hard think about whether to get the Formula so I could water cool the VRM. Wow, what a waste that would have been. Even now in the dead of Summer, I can't get past the mid 50s Celsius at 5GHz and 1.30v. Maybe if you are using this as a mining rig or something else with very long duration loads, but other wise I am not sure it's worth the effort. Maybe if you are in a giant 1000D like case where it's an arm's length to the nearest fan. Other than that...

c-attack, you're probably right about not needing it. I upped the VRM bios settings to 140% CPU Capability, 500khz CPU VRM switching frequency and Extreme Duty Control (is this reasonably or dangerous for the VRM??). This made my VRM temps jump a little to low 60s sometimes when running P95 AVX-smallFFTs.

Incidentally, I'm quietly confident that the T2 temperature reading in HWInfo64 is the VRM, as when I made the changes above, I saw a direct change in that temp value (with nothing else changed).

Low 60s VRM is probably fine given that was for a 10+ minute P95 AVX run, which is nothing like my normal loads.

But when has needing anything ever stopped an overclocker...:?) I will probably just experiment a little with it - although adding a 10th fan to the case will mean I should probably move 3 of the radiator fans from the CoPro to the h150i cooler via 3x 2-way splitters.

Incidentally, I'm quietly confident that the T2 temperature reading in HWInfo64 is the VRM, as when I made the changes above, I saw a direct change in that temp value (with nothing else changed).

It is and that is what I use as monitor it as well. Generally, Asus has suggested direct cooling once you start getting into the 75C+ range. I think you're good considering the type of load in question, but would be interested in how much you can take it down. I strapped my old Dominator Airflow onto the 4 memory modules earlier this Summer. I don't need that either, but wanted to see how it would effect things. Turns out I can connect into the board RGB controls and play around with through Aura. Maybe that should be Corsair's next release... the 40x40 RGB fan. Probably still need a Lighting Hub. :(

It is and that is what I use as monitor it as well. Generally, Asus has suggested direct cooling once you start getting into the 75C+ range. I think you're good considering the type of load in question, but would be interested in how much you can take it down. I strapped my old Dominator Airflow onto the 4 memory modules earlier this Summer. I don't need that either, but wanted to see how it would effect things. Turns out I can connect into the board RGB controls and play around with through Aura. Maybe that should be Corsair's next release... the 40x40 RGB fan. Probably still need a Lighting Hub. :(

Cool, I'll keep you posted as to how it works. Does your T2 temp show up in bios, or only in HWInfo? Mine only shows up in HWInfo - in the bios, the only temp readings are CPU, Motherboard and PCH...

60C is nothing for a VRM, granted you should stress test it longer to get a good idea, around 45mins an hour. My Gigabyte Z370 Gaming did come with a 40mm fan mounted behind the VRM, though it is only set to come on via the bios at ~90C. VRMs can take a lot more heat, a lot more than CPUs. The sad thing is the lack of a well designed a VRM heat sink is making companies add in stuff like 40mm fans.

Archived