Corsair Community

Need advice for a new RGB build please?

Cowboy10uk

Hi guys and gals, I’m currently in the process of putting together a new pc build, and figured while I was at it, I would dip my toe into this new RGB scene, however I just want to check I have everything I need or whether I need the Commander Pro as well.

I will be using a Corsair Crystal 570x case, 6 x LL120 fans, H150i Cooler and Corsair Vengence RGB ram, and installed On Asus Z370-E motherboard.

My plan is to replace the stock fans from the case and H150i with the LL120s, to produce a synced lighting setup so the colours move from fan to fan, I’ve seen the effect several times on YouTube and it looks amazing.

On top of that, I’m considering upgrading my current K70 Vengence keyboard to a RGB version is there is one and grabbing a RGB mouse.

I basically would like everything synced with the colours flowing around the entire system if that’s possible.

Can I do this utilising just the lighting nodes that come with the LL120 fans or do I require extra equipment? Sorry for a noob question, but this is something I have absolutely no idea about.

(1) Lighting Node Pro should be sufficient. I would still buy the two triple packs and keep the extra LNP for later. You may need it.

You will be able to control the speed of 3 LL fans on the H150i in iCUE, but the top and rear slots will be motherboard/BIOS controlled. You need to replace the LNP with a Commander Pro if you want desktop fan control for all fans. That is not a requirement and the switch can be made relatively easily later if you decide you want this. Since the LNPs come with the LLs, there isn't a wasted cost at the start.

iCUE does allow you to sync colors and patterns across all devices, from keyboard to fans. There are several pre-programmed effects that do this automatically. You can also program your own waves without too much difficulty, but there is a learning curve with the software. Plenty to keep you occupied during that process.

If you haven't seen it already, take a look at the thread below. Lots of pictures and diagrams to help,

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

If you aren't going with the CoPro (and there's no need to), a little planning for your fans is good. You'll have 3 of them connected to the cooler - no worries there. For the others, you have 2 "marked" chassis fan connectors on the motherboard. So you'll either want a splitter or you'll want to use the "M.2 Fan" header or the AIO header. If you use the AIO header, you'll want to enable Q-Fan control. The cooler will be connected to the CPU_FAN header and CPU_OPT simply mirrors the CPU_FAN header so that won't be of much use to you.

Archived