Corsair Community

Vengeance 2000 Windows Boot

JIM2003

When I have my wireless Dongle plugged in, my computer boots up REALLY slow, it takes around 5 or more minutes to boot. All I have to do is unplug the USB dongle and it boots normally in about 15-20 seconds ( I have an SSD).

My Specs:

Asus P6T Motherboard

24gb Corsair Vengeance RAM

GTX 670 SLI

Intel Core i7 980 @ 4ghz

Any ideas? Maybe there is a setting I need to change in my mobo?

I can confirm this. My specs are similar.

Asus P6T mobo

EVGA GTX 580

6 GB Corsair RAM (don't remember the model)

Intel i7 930 @ 3.8 GHz

Takes a long time to pass the mobo splash screen then freezes at starting windows. Interestingly enough, if you remove the dongle while it's frozen it will immediately proceed to boot windows. Maybe a firmware update needed? I've seen this issue posted elsewhere on the forum as well. Otherwise, no issues once windows has booted. Works great.

• Corsair Employee

Sometimes Windows will have a delay in booting with the USB dongle inserted due to it thinking it is a drive to be accessed. I would try disabling USB legacy support in the BIOS (you never need this on for new OS) and ensure the boot priority to be the main drive with your OS as #1. Also ensure you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard as this can solve many issues.

Let me know if this helps.

I tried that, and it did not work. It's very strange, if I have the dongle plugged in, my computer POST's REALLY SLOW, but if I unplug the dongle mid post, it will speed up like lightning, and go normal speed. Lhanen was actually patient enough to let it goto windows, lets see what he has to say.

This did not work. I let my computer fully boot once and it got into windows...eventually after like 10 minutes but when it did everything stutters horribly like the equivalent of 1 fps in a game. You open a window and it takes like 20 seconds to open. Horrible. Restarting and booting without the dongle inserted fixes the issue. Also, my bios is fully updated.

Hi there,

I just got my Venegance 2000 3 days ago and figured out the effects to system boot while the dongle is plugged in like stated above.

I run an ASUS Rampage Gene II with the lates bios version provided by Asus and I did the latence check and it said there was a device causing latency, which i figured out to be the onboard network chipset.

So I wanted to deactivat it in the bios and to my suprise the Venegance dongle even slows down the bios itself.

Starting setup takes about a minute or two, navigating with in bios tabs and options is delayed by 20-30 seconds. Nevertheless I deactivated ALL onboard devices (audio, network, firewire, eSATA) and swithched the legacy support for USB to deactivated.

None of the changes had any effect on the poor boot performance. Unplugging the Venegance dongle effects my system to boot in less than 20 seconds.

It seems that the dongle causes a hardware conflict long before Windows even boots. Checking the bios post during boot up I noticed a massive delay while checking the drives in AHCI mode. I takes more than a minute to complete this check. Without the dongle this happens in the flick of the eye...

Are ther any new suggestions to this issue yet?

Cheers,

Chris

• Corsair Employee
Hi all, I have tried the dongle on multiple machines at home to see if I can replicate the issue. However, I have not been able to do so. Can you all do me a favor and also try your dongles on different systems as well to see if the issue persists? I want to know if the dongle is actually defective or if its just an issue with all your specific motherboards.

Hi RAM GUY,

sorry, but I cannot help any further since I returned my Venegance 2000 to my retailer due to several quality problems (e.g. rattling volume control, boot time delay) I didn'nt want to miss the chance getting the money fully repaid. Since I loved the sound quality of the Venegance 2000 I#m gonna wait for a revised version and give it another try. Good luck...

Chris

• 3 months later...
I am having the same issue as described above. If the dongle is plugged in when I start my system the entire system slows down, windows, games, etc. If I remove the dongle before boot I have no problems. Is there a solution to this?

• 3 months later...

Hi all, looking for some help as I am currently experiencing the same problem as the OP. However it is a bit worse then just a much slower boot up. It extends to the bios screen and boot menus, basically anything that runs off the motherboard will continuously lock up and freeze every few seconds while the usb dongle is plugged in. Also the issue will stop instantly when the dongle is unplugged and occurs when only the dongle is plugged in.

Have tried the dongle on 4 other PC's and had no issues so i'm 99.9% sure its just an issue between the Vengence 2000 and Asus P6T mobo. Any help would be appreciated.

I can also testify that I had this issue before. But that only happened to me if I insert the dongle DIRECTLY to the mobo. Corsair provided a USB cable extender so that you could insert the dongle there. you might want to try this.

I use the USB cable extender and have tried it without and it makes no difference. You must be pretty lucky if that's all it took to solve it for you because it shouldn't make any difference to a problem like this.

Archived