Corsair Community

Problems with XMS2

WololoGuy

Hello, everyone.

As the title says, I have slight problem with Corsair memory. Until today, i have been running my system (Gigabyte 965P-DS4, C2D E6230 1.86@2.8 Ghz, 2x Corsar XMS2 CS2X1024-6400CL5, GF 9600 GT, 80 + 2x 250 GB, Win7 x64) with only two sticks of XMS2, but i aquired additional two sticks of XMS2 DHX (CS2X1024-6400CL4DHX. Just inserting isnt enough, system wont boot up at all, just app. 2 secs of run and it shuts itself down, repeating this procces maybe for infinity. So my question is, where the problem lies? MOBO should support up to 8 gigs of 800mhz, part number is listed among supported memory with only one exception - non-DHX, and my running ones arent there at all (only CS2X1024-8600CL5). Power suply is probably failing, thought still running. Now its Chieftec 620W, new one lies on my machine, Corsair GS600, today i plan on changing it. I briefly swapped memory slots, and if I put only new ones in slot, it will show POST screen and than it froze. So, What do you think about this? If i forgot to mention something, please just ask. I am new in this forum, and i am not even from english speaking country. So be a little tolerant please. Thanks a bunch. WololoGuy.

Have you already tried if both kits are fine by themselves? If the new kit works by itself, then it is not defective at least. The next thing on my list would be testing all the memory slots individually.

Mixing memory however sometimes just does not work out, so this could be one of those cases.

Yeah, I tried them sepparately, new kit once showed POST screen, and before hardware detection frozed. Original kit worked just fine.

But my memory problem solved itself when installed new power suply. It looks like old one was definitely half-dead. Even 50Hz plug frequency sound is gone :D (Though it showed itself only on home theather, and only with wired connection. Even through several devices). Unfortunately i discovered, that my system disk is also minutes before death >:( Too much dead sectors, and even HDtune cannot start performance test. Surprise, it is old as hell.

Anyway, big thanks for your tips, appreciated, really. :)

Yeah, im well aware of that. but in most situations concerning PC tech that word refers to Memory modules, aka RAM.

I was so happy, that both kits work, though not perfectly (I chcked them and older ones are XMS2 CL4, not CL5. I gained that impression, because they are running 5-5-5-18), both kits are running CL5 timing, and if i try to force them to run on designated 4-4-4-12, I am unable to log into windows (it starts, but asi it logs on, it shut itself down). But it looks like as my new power suply is faulty as well. :( Because PC randomly shut itself, withot any warning, blue screen, no nothing. Just shuts duwn in the middle of anything. I must research more, if anybody had this problem before and if it is caused by power suply, or if i must start looking elsewhere.

Archived