Corsair Community

Impressive Results In Micro-ATX Setup

Pipdrums

Hello,

I've managed to install the H50 into a Silverstone SG03 case with a push/pull fans configuration. If you don't know this case, I can tell you it is one heck of a tight fit for everything.

In particular, you are limited to really low profile CPU coolers because of the positioning of the PSU above the CPU.

I tried three different heat sinks on the i7 920 but none were efficient enough to get idle temps below 40C. Forget load - hard restarts every time.

I really like the case. It's solid, with some unorthodox, but neat design features. It takes full length/thick graphics cards. (You can do SLI or Crossfire in this tiny tower).

The one major drawback is that limitation to only low-profile CPU coolers.

I was walking around Akihabara in search of one more low-profile cooler to try out before abandoning the case and moving everything into a mid-tower when I noticed the H50. At first I thought, "No way. Water cooling in that confined space? Not a chance". Then I saw the radiator - 120mm. Then I checked out the water block/pump/tubing dimensions.

I went home, googled 'HD50 in SG03' and got some surprising results.

So I bought one the next day, replaced the 120 x 25mm supplied fan with 2 Scythe 120 x 12mm 2000rpm slim fans and got the whole lot installed a week ago. It was a very tight fit but it did fit. (I had to forego one lower fan screw to get clearance for the 24 pin connecter).

The more worrisome part was having the pipes from the waterblock/pump bending somewhat under and against the bottom side of the PSU but the bend is not excessive.

Okay. It's in. Now for the nail-biting. Power up and see if I've wasted more of my hard earned green.

In a nutshell, idle temps 30C. Prime 95 maxed out at 63C and averaged out at around 50C, (running overnight for 8-10 hours). OCCT gave a max of 65C once but has not registered above 63C since. (Again running overnight)

Using the previous low-profile coolers, I had to stop Prime 95 after 5 minutes because it was approaching 95C. OCCT would crash immediately after its idling period.

My setup is as follows;

i7 920 @2.6 - I'll be over-clocking this week.

Asus Gene II Mobo.

2 x 1TB HDs.

Full length/width NVidia 9800 GTX+.

6G Ram - 6 more soon. This water block/pump doesn't obstruct the slots.

Silverstone SG03 Micro-Tower Case.

PSU 650w.

After a week of virtually torture-testing this cooler, I just cant seem to break it. This H50 is working very nicely.

One more thing. Those AMD CPU backplate screws which come in the box are the same threads as the radiator and they are the perfect length to mount 12mm slim fans to the H50 radiator.

Regards.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm considering using an H50 in a very similar setup.

Right now, I have my Rampage II GENE/i7 920 inside a Lian Li PC-A01 case. There's a lot I like about this case; but its CPU cooler options are very limited. I'm using a Thermaltake CL-P0501. This does keep the 920 reasonably cool: 36-38C at idle; 58-62C under load. It's even reasonably quiet when it's not being taxed. However, the fan on this cooler tops out around 4800 rpm; and it sounds exactly like you'd expect 4800 rpm to sound. Attempts to overclock this setup are pretty noisy.

I really don't want a bulkier case; so I'm going to give the SG03 a try. I like that the H50 is even an option in this case (no way in the PC-A01). At first I was leaning toward trying a conventional air cooler before going for the H50; specifically, I had my eye on the Cooler Master GeminII S. But I've seen enough glowing reviews of the H50 that I think I'm ready just to go for it.

Hi Braden,

I'm really happy with the H50 in this case.

IMHO, push/pull is a must. Only possible by using Kaze Slim fans in my SG03. These are 12mm thin 120mm square fans. The H50 radiator screw threads are by no means 'standard' - there is a lot of traffic about screws on this forum.

A real stroke of luck is that screws for an AMD backplate are included with the HD50. These screws have the same thread as the radiator and they are the perfect length for mounting one Slim fan. I managed to find some more screws to fix the other fan.

You might like to check out a post by Pillu on the forum. He got an H50 into an SG04. Almost the same case as mine, just a few differences. I went for the SG03 because it was discounted after Silverstone introduced the 04.

If you do go for an SG03/04, get Silverstone's FX121 blower. It's an option for the SG03/4 cases with its own installation space between the PSU and I/O panel. It fits very nicely, is compact and does a really good job of exhausting heat from the North Bridge. I think it's a 'must have'.

Cheers.

You should not need to forego any screws installing the H50 in this case.

Yes it fits, but if you're running an X58, your temperatures are still going to skyrocket. CPU temp doesn't matter, the rest of your components (VREG, NB) will run towards 80Cs due to lack of airflow. Your Power Supply will also be scalding hot if you touch it, it's questionable how much it can tolerate those temperatures.

There is no exhaust, and depending on how you install the H50, you either get a very poor intake (with decent CPU temps) or a fairly poor exhaust (with terrible CPU temps). PCI-slot coolers are completely worthless since they move no air at decent noise levels. You either get a barely adequate exhaust and a system that sounds like jet turbine, or worthless exhaust.

I don't know how long a system can run that way, so I scrapped the rig completely. There are better cases out there for cooling.

I didn't forego any screws. I used the AMD screws to mount 1 x 12mm slim fan and bought another set of screws to mount the other slim fan. The rad is sandwiched between these two fans. This assembly mounted at the top of the front plate. I had to exclude one screw which, if I had used, would have prevented me from connecting the 24 pin plug to the mobo - not enough clearance.

I have another 120mm mounted below on the front plate.

The H50 fits - 'barely' - with one 25mm fan on the front panel if you mount it and the rad midway on the front panel. By doing so, you lose the space to mount another 120 fan on that front panel. (Using 2 x 25mm fans in a push/pull just won't fit in this case w/o some serious modding).

I referred to the FX121 Blower as a 'must have'. This is not a PCI slot cooler. It installs on the back of the case very near the NB & Voltage Regs. and exhausts the air efficiently.

As you said, only time will tell as to how long this system will run. It's early days yet. And I am still stressing it out with OCCT and Prime95.

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO, push/pull is a must. Only possible by using Kaze Slim fans in my SG03. These are 12mm thin 120mm square fans.

Yes; I think I'm going to give this a try.

Does the Asus Q-Fan support on the Rampage II GENE dynamically control the fan speed for two-/three-wire fans, or just four-pin PWM ones?

Also, what sort of restriction (if any) does the H50's radiator place on the thickness of the case fan below it? Did you use another 12mm fan here, or would a 25mm one fit?

You might like to check out a post by Pillu on the forum. He got an H50 into an SG04. Almost the same case as mine, just a few differences. I went for the SG03 because it was discounted after Silverstone introduced the 04.

I went for the 03 mainly because I wanted the all-aluminum construction. I also wanted silver; and I don't think the 04 is available in silver--in the US, at least. There are a few other things I like better about the 03. Even though I'm not wild about the mesh front, I prefer the 03's more angular features. Also, the 04 has no ventilation on the side panel--so there's not much point in orienting the power supply with its intake fan pointing outward.

And I did manage to get a $20 rebate; but that was just gravy. :):

If you do go for an SG03/04, get Silverstone's FX121 blower. It's an option for the SG03/4 cases with its own installation space between the PSU and I/O panel. It fits very nicely, is compact and does a really good job of exhausting heat from the North Bridge. I think it's a 'must have'.

I'd seen that option and I've been wondering if it's worth it. It very likely will prove necessary given the hot north bridge on this motherboard. But its quoted lifetime is irritatingly short.

What are your north bridge temperatures like?

With my current setup in the PC-A01, my NB is 61-63C at idle. It actually drops to the mid 50s under load because the CPU fan ramps up and blows on it. (Note that the CPU fan draws in air from outside the case.)

Hi,

The Asus Q-fan will dynamically control fan speeds on 3-wire fans but not on any 2-wire fans. (It needs the info sent over the 2nd of the 3 wires to monitor and adjust rpms. 2-wire fans are just power and ground).

I mounted the push/rad/pull on the upper front - intake. I also have a slim directly below. You can easily mount a 25mm below. There is ample space between the rad assembly and the lower fan.

I went for another slim there because I was thinking maybe my Graphics card would be a problem - it's a full length/double width card. It turned out to have clearance enough, even with a 25mm fan. I stuck with the 12mm slim. In this SG03, you need all the space you can make for cabling.

You mention the mesh front. Actually, as much as you may not like the look of it, it is so much better than the 04 in that it is not obstructed by the curvy swivel door Silverstone decided to put on the 04. That was one major reason I didn't opt for the 04. That door doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever, aside from making it 'look sleeker'? ?

Orienting the power supply so the fan is drawing in air through the side vent is the only way. I doubt having it the other way would make much difference re. the NB/SB temps. More likely, it'll fry the PSU.

The FX121 is an absolute must, believe me. I'm running P95 at this very moment and it's at load. Everest is giving me NB temps at 58C steady. SB 47C. Cores are 60,59,56,56 with core one maxing out at 63C. (These temps are what I also get when running P95 or OCCT overnight). At power up, my NB starts in the mid 40s and creeps up to the mid 50s (where it stays constant, regardless of load) Core temps are all around 30C under normal usage.

Your NB temp is not too bad. I've got a system/video card cooler blowing onto mine. The Gene is notorious for its NB heat generation.

FWIW, heres a rundown on what is inside this minimalist case;

The H50. The pump connector is on the CPU header. The CPU fan control is disabled in the BIOS so it's running at full speed (1400+ rpm).

H50's rad is between 2 Scythe Slims at the top of the front panel, directly beneath the optical drive. The fans are connected to chassis fan headers on the mobo with smart fan control enabled. They run at 1200 to 1800 between idle and load.

Another Slim fan is below the rad. It's connected to the mobo and runs @ +1400.

I put the nVidia 9800GTX on the 2nd PCIx16 slot, (the manual says it's better in the 1st slot, but I got exactly the same fps in the 2nd as the 1st).

The FX121 is really a Godsend. It's connected to my last available mobo header and it really gets rid of a lot of heat. I can feel the hot air being blown off the NB/SB out the rear vent.

By putting the video card on the 2nd slot, I was able to mount a system cooler over the 1st PCI slot. This is connected directly to the PSU via molex. It does have a speed control pot but I leave it set at max. In concert with the FX121, it does a good job with the airflow.

One more exhaust blower is mounted at the top rear of the case on the quasi-PCI slot. It all helps.

If you want to ask me about noise levels with all these fans, you may have to speak up. Just kidding.

Regards.

The Asus Q-fan will dynamically control fan speeds on 3-wire fans but not on any 2-wire fans. (It needs the info sent over the 2nd of the 3 wires to monitor and adjust rpms. 2-wire fans are just power and ground).

Makes sense. Unfortunately, this means it won't be able to control my PCI slot blower even after I attach an LP4-to-fan header converter cable. :sigh!:

I may see if I can hunt down a blower with a 3-pin connector.

I mounted the push/rad/pull on the upper front - intake. I also have a slim directly below. You can easily mount a 25mm below. There is ample space between the rad assembly and the lower fan.

Does "ample" mean that even a 38mm fan might fit?

I've ordered one of these to try:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/delta-qfr1212ghe-pwm-120mm-ultra-high-speed-fan.html

Obviously, this could get extremely loud. However, since it's a PWM fan, I'm thinking I should be able to run it well below maximum where it might be relatively quiet and still move a good deal of air. We'll see.

I went for another slim there because I was thinking maybe my Graphics card would be a problem - it's a full length/double width card. It turned out to have clearance enough, even with a 25mm fan. I stuck with the 12mm slim. In this SG03, you need all the space you can make for cabling.

I'm using a humble pair of low power 9800 GTs in SLI--so graphics card length is not an issue for me. The stock coolers on these have some of the noisier fans in my system; so I'm going to try replacing them with Zalman VNF100s.

You mention the mesh front. Actually, as much as you may not like the look of it, it is so much better than the 04 in that it is not obstructed by the curvy swivel door Silverstone decided to put on the 04. That was one major reason I didn't opt for the 04. That door doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever, aside from making it 'look sleeker'? ?

I do appreciate the function (of the mesh). Whether it's actually providing much more airflow than some strategically hidden openings on the front panel could do, I'm not sure. But I do think the look of the SG04 is not something I would accept a compromise to achieve.;):

Orienting the power supply so the fan is drawing in air through the side vent is the only way. I doubt having it the other way would make much difference re. the NB/SB temps. More likely, it'll fry the PSU.

Hard to say what the effect of this would be. I'd definitely worry about frying the PSU if it were running close to capacity. If it's not running at all close to capacity, then the fan might be able to compensate. The PSU would be running somewhat hotter in this instance, while it would be helping to cool the overall system.

Maybe. I might try both configurations (since it's a pretty easy change to make). I do think it's interesting that the side panel vent vanished in the SG04(-F) and reappeared in the SG04-(F)H.

The FX121 is an absolute must, believe me. I'm running P95 at this very moment and it's at load. Everest is giving me NB temps at 58C steady. SB 47C. Cores are 60,59,56,56 with core one maxing out at 63C. (These temps are what I also get when running P95 or OCCT overnight). At power up, my NB starts in the mid 40s and creeps up to the mid 50s (where it stays constant, regardless of load) Core temps are all around 30C under normal usage.

That's pretty nice. I've read of folks using this board whose NB temps regularly hover in the upper 70s or even the lower 80s. Eek.

I think mid 50s for the NB on this board is just dandy.

Your NB temp is not too bad. I've got a system/video card cooler blowing onto mine. The Gene is notorious for its NB heat generation.

Indeed.:sigh!:

FWIW, heres a rundown on what is inside this minimalist case;....

Thanks for the thorough run-down.

I've finally ordered my H50 (along with a few fans); so hopefully I'll have the parts by the end of the week and I can finally see for myself how this stuff all fits together.

If you want to ask me about noise levels with all these fans, you may have to speak up. Just kidding.

Yikes. Just how much are you kidding? ;):

I'm trying to get a quieter system than what I have now. I might end up over clocking it a bit as long as the noise penalty is low; but odds are I'd end up dropping back to stock speeds if it meant I could tell a difference in the noise level.

I'll try to post some pictures once I get some things put together.

Hi,

I'll start off with a sincere apology. My info re. clearance is wrong. I should have checked the inside of the case visually before posting.

Due to the length of the hosing, he H50 will only fit in the 03 mounted on the top of the front panel.

It will not fit at all in the 03 with even a single 25mm fan between the front panel and the rad. There is simply not enough space to clear the 24pin motherboard connector. The 2 X 12mm fans work because of the 1mm less thickness. This 1mm is really critical.

The next piece of mis-information I gave you is about the lower front panel fan. The H50 rad is oblong and the overhang does not allow for a 25mm fan below it. There is no way of mounting a 35mm fan.

I am very sorry to have given you that wrong info, but everything else, re temps, installed equipment, etc., is correct.

Using the H50 and the Kaze Slim fans, this system has been working nicely.

As for the noise levels, I really am joking. As best as I can describe sound in words, at load it is a 'white sound'. It can be heard if you concentrate on it. If you listen to a podcast, radio program or whatever, you won't notice it.

Due to the length of the hosing, he H50 will only fit in the 03 mounted on the top of the front panel.

That I pretty much expected from the pictures.

It will not fit at all in the 03 with even a single 25mm fan between the front panel and the rad. There is simply not enough space to clear the 24pin motherboard connector. The 2 X 12mm fans work because of the 1mm less thickness. This 1mm is really critical.

Damn... I hadn't thought about bumping up against components on the motherboard.

This also means that I'm going to have to tear down my existing build before I can know for sure what will fit.:sigh!:

The next piece of mis-information I gave you is about the lower front panel fan. The H50 rad is oblong and the overhang does not allow for a 25mm fan below it. There is no way of mounting a 35mm fan.

Looking at the pictures, I was afraid of this. I guess I'll have to find some other use for the 38mm thick fan.

I have ordered a couple of the 12mm Kaze slim fans; sounds like I'll need to get a third.

I am very sorry to have given you that wrong info, but everything else, re temps, installed equipment, etc., is correct.

No worries. I don't mind having some (more) spare fans around.

As for the noise levels, I really am joking. As best as I can describe sound in words, at load it is a 'white sound'. It can be heard if you concentrate on it. If you listen to a podcast, radio program or whatever, you won't notice it.

Nice. I guess that means it's pretty quiet at idle.

I forgot to mention I checked out the Zotac 9800 cards. You'll not have any problems with those cards as is, AFAICS.

I also checked out the Zalman VNFs. I couldn't find any 9800 series cards on their compatibility list. Another thing I saw, which might really be a problem - they have heat pipes rising above. There could be a clearance issue with the PSU and the 1st PCI slot.

I got the H50 and I started putting things together.

I have a couple of the 120x12mm Kaze-Jyuni fans; and I didn't have any trouble finding appropriate screws at a hardware store. (My H50-1 didn't seem to have the AMD bracket screws you referred to; maybe that's a difference between the H50 and the H50-1.) You really weren't kidding about the clearance for the motherboard power connector; every millimeter counts.

I'm still waiting on the FX121 and a third Kaze-Jyuni fan to arrive; but I went ahead and fired up the machine with the two fans I have configured in push-pull. The Kaze-Jyuni fans are a bit loud by my standards.:[pouts: Already this is quite a bit louder than my configuration in the PC-A01 case--at idle, anyway. It's probably much quieter under load, considering the CPU fan I was using with the PC-A01 sounded like a hand vacuum when it ramped up.

The idle temp I saw on the CPU was 44C--not terribly impressive. I probably need to reseat the H50 on the CPU. It ended up getting twisted around quite a bit while I found which orientation provided the most moderate flexing of the hoses and the thermal grease probably got smeared off/around more than it should have. But I didn't run the machine for very long like this as my north bridge temp rather quickly crept above 80C.:eek: I'll be waiting for the FX121 to show up before I fire the machine up again.

I've ordered some of these fans to experiment with. I'm not sure whether they're going to end up being 15 or 20 mm thick: the page says 15; however, the salesperson I asked about them said they were pulls from the Nexus LOW-7000 cooler, which is described as having a 20 mm thick fan. Either way, I probably can't do push-pull with these. But I'll probably experiment with a push-only configuration to see if I can keep the noise level down.

Re: the Zalman VNF100... It looks like it can work with the 9800 GT; at least, there is a bracket included that has matching screw holes. Unfortunately, it looks like you're right about the clearance between the power supply and the first PCIe x16 slot. If I had about three more millimeters there, I think it would work.:sigh!: Once I have a fan configuration in the front panel that I'm happy with, I might try just yanking the power cables for the fans on these cards. They've got nice big heatsinks on them that just might work for passive cooling if I can keep enough of a breeze blowing over them.

Finally, a comment on the SG03... I wish it were constructed as well as it was designed.:sigh!: Now, it's not that it's poorly constructed; it's just not nearly as well constructed as the PC-A01 (or other Lian-Li cases I've used). The aluminum used for the SG03 body is thin; I even bent it a little bit by mistake when putting in the motherboard I/O panel. The aluminum used for the PC-A01 is thicker; and I think it might even be a stronger alloy.

But the design of the SG03 is much more clever than that of the PC-A01. The economy of space in the SG03 is truly impressive (though it makes cable management quite difficult). And the aesthetics are considerably superior to the PC-A01, too.

I really like Lian Li cases; but I'm finding myself repeatedly disappointed by their SFF offerings. Given the powerful components you can assemble with a micro ATX or even a mini ITX board these days, I can't imagine that I'd need a full ATX platform or the bulky case to go with it. But micro ATX towers have pretty much disappeared from Lian Li's lineup; and I'm finding most of their mini ITX designs just plain goofy.

So I got to thinking ... As long as the radiator clears the hard plastic motherboard power connectors, it shouldn't matter if it nudges the wires themselves by a millimeter or so. I had a close look at the situation and it looked to me like the clearance was there. So I tried it.

And it works.:biggrin:

The only caveat is that you need to detach (partially) the plastic frame that holds the fans in order to service the motherboard power connector. But as tight as the clearance was with the two 12 mm thick fans, you probably would want to detach the frame in that configuration as well.

So I slid a Scythe PWM fan into the second position. I also put an Evercool FOX-1 in the slot at the top of the case.

And I fired it up.

The first thing I noticed is that the 25 mm thick fans are much quieter than the 12 mm ones. My idle CPU temperature is now down to 40C. I did take the opportunity to tighten the retention bracket screws; so it's probably not fair to attribute (all of) this difference to the change in fans. (I still haven't completely reseated the pump on the CPU, so there's still room for further improvement here.) My north bridge temperatures have dropped more than 10 degrees to the low 70s--still too hot, but quite an improvement. The FX121 should get this under control.

A few questions.

Any chance of posting a couple of photos of your build so far? - hopefully better than the two I posted. (Photography is definitely not my forte.). I'm really interested in how you got the 25mm fan set up. I'm not sure what you modified, i.e. the plastic frame you referred to.

Since you have obviously put it together, at least partially, are you already using both cards in SLI as is? I am a little unsure about what you mean by 'yanking the power cables for the fans on the cards'.

I'm using the Kaze Slim 2000rpm versions. They are noisy at max rpm but quieten down once the smart fan control sets in. I think the other - lower rpm versions - might actually generate more noise. Another question I'd like to ask is about detaching part of the plastic frame. Which part is this? A photo would be great here.

40C idle is still a tad high. Is your pump running at max and how is it oriented on the CPU after reseating it?

70C on the NB is way too high. Once you get the FX121 installed, all the smoke and smell from your molten metal and plastic will be nicely exhausted out the back of the case. Again, just kidding, but I think your NB temps should be around upper 50s at load.

You're right about the somewhat flimsiness of the SG03. I've got a couple of bends and bulges too. Overall, I can't complain. Getting all this stuff into so small a case running the notoriously hot Gene at operable temps is cool - pun intended.

Any chance of posting a couple of photos of your build so far?

I promise I'll take some pictures when I open it up again to install the FX121.

I'm really interested in how you got the 25mm fan set up. I'm not sure what you modified, i.e. the plastic frame you referred to.

I really didn't do anything special. No modifications. The plastic frame I'm referring to is the large black piece of plastic that occupies most of the SG03's front panel (behind the grille)--the piece you attach the fans to. I was just saying that it needs to be removed when you (un)plug the motherboard power connector. Removing this piece is part of the normal disassembly of the case; it snaps in place with plastic catches. Once the motherboard power connector is attached, it can snap fully into its correct position.

Since you have obviously put it together, at least partially, are you already using both cards in SLI as is? I am a little unsure about what you mean by 'yanking the power cables for the fans on the cards'.

Yes, I'm using SLI. The factory-default fans on these cards have an accessible power connector that plugs into the graphics card. It wouldn't be too hard to unplug this connector. If I can get enough of a breeze going past the cards, I'll probably experiment with this in order to cut down on noise.

I'm using the Kaze Slim 2000rpm versions. They are noisy at max rpm but quieten down once the smart fan control sets in. I think the other - lower rpm versions - might actually generate more noise.

Those are the same fans as I have. I imagine I could fiddle with them to lower their speed and noise; however, I really prefer the 25 mm fan solution because I can get fans that move more air--especially in the lower fan position (where I would be confined to a single 12 mm thick fan). I'm going to try a couple of Cooljag Everflow R121225BU fans, which I'm seeing folks claim stay pretty quiet up to about 75% of their rated power. If the specs on these things are anywhere close to accurate, they can move gobs of air for a 120x25 mm fan.

40C idle is still a tad high. Is your pump running at max and how is it oriented on the CPU after reseating it?

The sailboat's 12 o'clock position points to the top of the case.

I'm pretty sure I'm running the pump at full power. I have it plugged into the OPT2 connector, for which I've disabled any sort of control in the BIOS.

70C on the NB is way too high. Once you get the FX121 installed, all the smoke and smell from your molten metal and plastic will be nicely exhausted out the back of the case. Again, just kidding, but I think your NB temps should be around upper 50s at load.

It's certainly far from ideal. But keep in mind that the factory-default cutoff temperature in the BIOS is a steamy (literally) 100C. I certainly hope that the FX121 is that effective.

I've installed the FX121. I can definitely feel it blowing a good deal of warm air out of the back of the case; however, this has not translated to significantly lower north bridge temperatures. :(: They're still in the low 70s.

I'm still waiting on the R121225BU fans. Hopefully they can make a difference.

As promised, I have attached a couple of pictures.

H50-installed.thumb.jpg.030ad1145d64296b6b21eda06814610f.jpg

H50-clearance.thumb.jpg.c29e27c0c24d215153b50c842c0f59d4.jpg

Using the Everflow R121225BU fans has made all the difference. The CPU now idles at 34-36C, with the north bridge at 57-60C. At load, the CPU temperature stays in the mid-50s, while the north bridge temperature drops to the low-to-mid 50s.:biggrin:

These fans are a bit louder than I'd hoped, but they're not awful. At some point I may try some Noiseblocker M12-P fans; but for now this is satisfactory.

I use it for software development. The noise level is important because loud computers annoy me. :):

FYI, the photos were taken with a Canon S90 camera.

Also, I forgot to mention that I reseated the H50 pump using some IC Diamond thermal compound. That might have helped a bit; though I'm sure its effect was overshadowed by the fans.

A bit more information on my configuration... I have the fan on the H50 plugged into the CPU fan header. The lower front fan is plugged into CHA2. My PCI slot cooler is plugged into CHA1. The FX121 is plugged into OPT1; and the H50 pump is plugged into OPT2.

The temperatures I gave above are from using the "Turbo" fan profile for both the CPU and chassis fans. Fan control is disabled for OPT1 and OPT2. I experimented with lowering the speed of the FX121; but it didn't seem to be a significant source of noise.

If I change the CPU and chassis fans to the "Standard" profile, things are a bit quieter, but still quite audible. Under this profile, the CPU idles around 40C and the north bridge temperature heads into the mid 60s. I don't notice much noise difference between "Standard" and "Silent"; but under "Silent", the CPU idles in the mid 40s and the north bridge temperature heads back into the low 70s.

I can see now why you like things quiet.

I just bought a couple of packets of silicone washers and used some on a fan that was giving out a buzzing noise. This is not the SG03 case BTW, it's another build.

When I removed the fan from the side of the case, it ran quietly. Those washers did the trick i.e., isolated a vibration that was occurring.

Just an idea. They are $2 for a pack of eight.

I did end up getting the Noiseblocker fans. These are very nice fans. (And they'd better be, considering the asking price.) They're very quiet and they have a remarkable lifetime rating. And while they do move a good deal of air, it's not as much as the Everflow fans. While my CPU temperatures are about the same (mid 30s at idle), my north bridge temperatures are back in the high 60s/low 70s. :sigh!:

I'm pretty frustrated by this and I think my next step may be to experiment with some conventional low-profile air coolers. The H50 is doing a fine job cooling the CPU; but the north bridge on this motherboard really needs air blowing on it. The FX121 helps by taking some hot air off the top; but it seems to be no substitute for something that will blow air directly on the north bridge heatsink and cooling pipe fins.

Thanks for the suggestion re: silicone washers; but I'm pretty sure the problem with the Everflow fans is that they just have noisier bearings than some other "quiet" fans.

I tried a few low profile coolers but the H50 out-permormed all of them. I think you may waste a lot of time and effort with air coolers in the SG03.

Your main problem is having two cards in SLI. The card in slot one is slap bank next to the NB.

Like you say, having something blowing air onto the NB is what is needed. I have a system/graphics card cooler mounted over slot one with 2 rather cheesy looking orange 8cm fans but it does the job. Those fans blow over the NB, the memory slots and the CPU VCs.

If you could dispense with the SLI, upgrade to a single beefy nVidia or ATI card and put same into PCI slot 2, (nearest the edge of the Gene), you could get a blower onto the NB.

Hey Pillu,

That really was worth the wait. Truly AWESOME, man !!

I hear NASA is hiring. Seriously. Keep that in your resume.

Better yet, start your own company. Here's a name - ***********.com. It's a good name, so I'll PM it to you.

Best regards.

Archived