Corsair Community

650D noisy front fan

TiM3SH1FT

Ok so I just got the 650D, coming from a Twelve Hundred... I have to say that it is a great improvement and I really like the 650D's construction and design.

When I say that I like the design, it's all great except for the front fan. When I turn on the PC a loud noise comes out of it. The problem is not the fan itself or the fan controller because I unscrewed the fan, holded it in my hand, powered it on and it makes no sound at all.

Like some have already pointed out, the fan is mounted too close to the front grill and it is what is causing the noise. Somehow this is making air turbulence/vibrations. In order to *almost* fix the problem I added some rubber rings that came with the case, bought longer screws and remounted the fan so that it's a little further apart from the grill and it's making a lot less noise now.

This is obviously a design flaw. I can't stop thinking that I shouldn't have had to make such modification. I mean, did you guys do some testing before shipping this case to retail (obviously you did but you get the point right?). It's not like it's anything really complex, it's just a grill. Why is the grill there in the first place? There is the fan filter over it so I don't see the need. It should be removed once and for all!

Now don't get me wrong I really like this case, it's the best I've ever worked with and the fan is the only thing bad I can think of it. But I'm wondering what Corsair can do for me and for everyone else who's having this issue? Like I said replacing the fan or the controller will not resolve the problem and I'm not willing to ship the case back since it would cost a fortune...

How will Corsair be addressing this? With a 650D Rev 2 or something? What about people like me who have a "bad design"?

By noisy you mean the buzzing sound coming from the front?

Mine doesn't make much noise at all. I'm not using the fan controller either. You can always replace your fan with another 200mm fan which would help and that's what I'm going to do since the stock fan doesn't push much air.

You can always mod the case as well by cutting the front mesh off and that will solve your problem like other people in this forum.

This is a pretty well documented problem, I have the exact same issue, at first it was thought that it was a problem with the fan controller and Corsair issued two rounds of replacement fan controllers (the second round replacing the whole thing) but the issue remains with the new fan controllers making absolutely no difference. I got both replacements. I have also narrowed it down to the mesh, one of the forum members actually cut out the mesh and no longer has any issues. Unfortunately I don't have the tools (or the skills) to do it neatly so I have put a second voltage regulator (from Noctua) on the front fan it removes most of the whine but obviously at a massive cost air movement wise.

I do feel Corsair should issue a proper fix as it is quite obviously a design flaw but I understand their predicament as the only way to completely fix the problem would be to recall the case as that mesh doesn't unscrew or anything.

Here's my thread on it for the 600T, but it's the same issue since the 650D and 600T share similar internal chassis.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=99103

RAM Guy responded that they are looking into it, but I would love to hear if there is an update.

Someone tried replacing Corsair's grommet with silicone ones from another vendor (still out of stock so I haven't tried it myself). That plus keeping the fan speed down seems to minimize the noise issue.

Here's my thread on it for the 600T, but it's the same issue since the 650D and 600T share similar internal chassis.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=99103

RAM Guy responded that they are looking into it, but I would love to hear if there is an update.

Someone tried replacing Corsair's grommet with silicone ones from another vendor (still out of stock so I haven't tried it myself). That plus keeping the fan speed down seems to minimize the noise issue.

Yes my fan makes the exact same noise as the video on the other thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdwwoUN7jio

It's weird that Corsair let this pass QC on both cases, obviously they must spend lots of time and money to design them since everything else is perfect. I just don't undestand how such a thing can happen.

Anyways with the mod I did my case is almost silent now but I just wanted to share my thoughts/disappointment. I do not regret getting the 650D.

While cutting the grill with a dremel seems to be the most effective solution, I'm not gonna do it (I don't have a dremel). Also I don't think that we as customers should have to do this to be satisfied with a product "out of the box". It's like buying an air conditionner where you would have to cut a piece of it in order to make the noise bearable, it doesn't make any sense... it should've been thought of during the manufacturing process.

I did several things to cut the noise from the front fan:

I cut out the front mesh (which I know you don't want to do)

Very carefully adjusted how tight the screws were to stop vibration (which it did)

Removed it from the fan controller and added a 7w resistor in line.

I believe the hard drive cages can be mounted farther back (I think even the plastic base plate) - which would allow the fan to be mounted on standoffs so that it is away from the front altogether. My case is too heavily modified to tell anymore, but it should be esy to check on a stock one.

This case is an excellent modders case, but a little flawed (airflow wise) straight out of the box.

I don't expect Corsair to recall any cases or anything like that - it would be too expensive. As someone else said, I also hope they address the issue by creating a 650D-2 with no front fan grill. I know it sucks for the people who already bought the case and are unable/unwilling to mod it, but personally that would close the issue for me. For those with 650D-1, a different fan or spacers are probably the best solution.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

There are two possible causes in this situation,

One if the fan controller needs to be updated this will make the fan controller true liner control and should help with that noise.

The other cause that some users have reported is the fan fits flush against the front mesh and caused the fan to Vibrate.

There are a few ways to correct this one is to cut the grill out and the other would be to use rubber or plastic washers between the fan and where it mounts.

Unless the fan it self is just bad and I have seen that happen in a few cases, if the fan is bad please use the link on the left and request an RMA and explain its the fan issue and they will send you a new fan.

• 1 year later...

I'm a bit late to the party......This front fan issue really bugs me. I've had my case for about a year now. What are they going to do? Replace the case? Nope. This issue is caused by the front metal (dotted) grill being too close to the front of the fan. It's not the fan controller. I contacted Corsair, told them the problem, and they mailed me a new fan. This is THE last case from Corsair! This was way too expensive for an oversight and lack of Q/A on Corsairs part. I will stick with my Antec 1200.

Anyway.....here is what I did. I took the top HDD cage off. I left the bottom cage where it was. I removed the top 2 front fan screws completely. For the bottom 2 screws, I unscrewed them almost all the way. I left a couple threads to grab the fan. Without the top HDD cage this allows the fan to tilt back and rest on the bottom hdd cage. It does not fall because the bottom 2 screws are still holding the fan, slightly. This provides enough clearance between the fan and the front mesh. The fan does not rattle and it still provides cooling to the HDD's. The only draw back is that you have to sacrifice a HDD cage.

Archived