Corsair Community

do extra letters mean anything?

The Rog

I have printed out the PDF of the memory sugguestions, for the MSI Neo-FIS2r board, from your site. I am presently purchasing the board, athlon 3000+ chip, and memory from Monarch Computers. I can not get past the memory section (asking which memory I want), because the memory for corsair, that is listed there, have more letters added on to the names. for instance: Monarch has Twin x 512-3200C2pt and you have: twin x 512-3200C2 Should I be concerned by the PT? Or does that mean that it is just a newer version of the same chip? between the motherboards list, the Monarch list, and your list this is very confusing. thankyou in advance!!!!

Welcome to the forums, The Rog! The "PT" at the end means the heat spreader is a platinum color. Nothing else is changed. However, the new revisions of the C2 modules will only run at CAS 2.5 on AMD systems. If I were you, I'd buy TwinX512 or TwinX1024 in the 3200LL rather than 3200C2. I suggest 1024 because for most everything new, you'll be happier with the extra memory over 512. PLUR CK

Your advice about going GIG is well taken, I just want to make sure that I understand that the MSI K8T neo-FIS2R, requires a pairing of memory (Twin1024-3200LL) or can I use one corsair stick (CMX1024-3200/PRO/PT)? I just want to confirm this as it is a major purchase. Also I wanted to know if you would still advise the 3200LL. I do not game, but I will be cutting video (pinnacle studio). the reason I ask was if your advice had to do with the statement by the motherboard site (MSI) that the board (K*T NEO-FIS2R) will overclock when it feels necessary. Does this put me into the overclockers level, based on the reference table provided by corsair? Thank your patience in this matter.

• Corsair Employee
This MB is single channel and I would suggest CMX1024-3200 as that would leave you some room to upgrade to 2.0 should you need it! However, Twinx1024-3200LL would be faster but limit you to 1.0 Gig of DDR400!

Archived