Corsair Community

FX-53, ASUS A8V Deluxe + TwinX1024-3200XLPRO

lkhyperx

I know theres been several of these threads going on, but none answers the question quite directly. My question is, if I first update the BIOS to the latest version 1.006 and then manually change my RAM voltage to 2.7V before installing my Corsair TwinX1024-3200XLPRO, will the motherboard automatically pick up 2-2-2-5-1 like its supposed to? Other threads say that they get higher lantencies at default, but once they change it to 2.7v, they say "its fine." By fine, does it mean they get 2-2-2-5-1? or just a steady performance. I want to be able to get the best out of my $376 RAM (the latency that I paid for) - Does anyone know how to accomplish this task?

wait.. I thought all I needed to do is change the voltage to 2.7v like everyone else said. Now I have to manually set the latency to 2-2-2-5-1? I know the test voltage for the 3200XL was 2.75v, but since that isn't a option for the A8V yet, should I go 2.7v or 2.8v (2.8v being a little fuzzy)?

Just setting a voltage will not change memory timings, you must manually set them. Use 2.7V. The higher latencies occur because the memory is setup in such a manner that the SPD isn't set to 2-2-2-5-1T because this can cause some motherboards not to boot. Therefore, the solution is to have the SPD programmed with slower timings and users can selectively tighten the timings if their system can handle it. Setting 2.7V will permit the memory to operate properly at 2-2-2-5-1T. ASUS motherboards will actually feed 2.75V when 2.7V is set in the BIOS.

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest that you set the timings manually and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well! It is not uncommon for MB's not to detect the SPD when it's set as aggressive as these modules. However, if setting the timings manually does not work then that would suggest a failing bios and or MB and I would suggest another makers MB! But this model should be fine, just set the timings manually!

But in ixion's previous post (in a similar thread), he stated that "I upgraded my mobo BIOS to the latest 1006 version and installed the RAM. I also have the same problem: the RAM comes up as 2-3-2-5 and the 2T command is enabled by default. First thing I did was change to 1T and started running some tests at 2-3-2-5 at stock voltage and clocks." I can't find the 2T --> 1T command option! And he states that it exists! [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27851[/url] The thread he posted in.

• Corsair Employee
At the bottom of the memory configuration you will see 2T Command rate setting Enabled/Disabled! In addition, I would suggest you set the timings manually, it's not uncommon for some MB's not to detect the timings correctly as are set very aggressive so setting them manually should not be a problem!

Well, since I don't have the board at my disposal (donations welcome), I thought I would grab the manual and see what it revealed. There is a 2T Command that is either Enabled or AUTO, I would recommend using AUTO. Grab the latest version of CPU-Z to see what AUTO yields for your memory: [url]http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php[/url] Edit: Looks like RAM GUY beat me to the punch. :D:

[quote name='Gorganzola']Well, since I don't have the board at my disposal (donations welcome), I thought I would grab the manual and see what it revealed. There is a 2T Command that is either Enabled or AUTO, I would recommend using AUTO. Grab the latest version of CPU-Z to see what AUTO yields for your memory: [url]http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php[/url] Edit: Looks like RAM GUY beat me to the punch. :D:[/QUOTE] In my experience with this mobo and 2T, AUTO does not work. You have to disable it manually. Also, in CPU-Z, I don't see where the 2T Command is listed? I have CPU-Z version 1.23. Anyone know where to see this parameter? Other utilities? Note that Sandra doesn't seem to report it correctly either.

Hi everyone! I am able to run at 2-2-2-5-1T error free! SiSandra mem bandwidth above 6000! Very impressive RAM once everything is working. I have posted my settings and findings in the other thread here: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27851[/url] Enjoy, ix.

Ok, the manual I grabbed didn't show a Disable option, so AUTO was the only other logical choice. Good to know that there is a Disable option. [quote name='ixion']In my experience with this mobo and 2T, AUTO does not work. You have to disable it manually. Also, in CPU-Z, I don't see where the 2T Command is listed? I have CPU-Z version 1.23. Anyone know where to see this parameter? Other utilities? Note that Sandra doesn't seem to report it correctly either.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ixion']Hi everyone! I am able to run at 2-2-2-5-1T error free! SiSandra mem bandwidth above 6000! Very impressive RAM once everything is working. I have posted my settings and findings in the other thread here: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27851[/url] Enjoy, ix.[/QUOTE] Whew!!! This is good to know since I just spent a boatload of cash for my 3500+/ A8V-Deluxe /TwinX3200XLPRO setup. Thanx [B]ixion[/B] for the priceless info!.......I'll be setting mine up this weekend.......you'll probably be getting some PM's... :D:

[quote name='Wired']Please post in the forums so others can learn from your experience![/QUOTE] Me?.....It may be a ballpeen hammer to the board by the end of the day.....ASUS better come out with a bios that increases the vdimm >2.7 apparently. :evil:

[quote name='Lidocaine']Whew!!! This is good to know since I just spent a boatload of cash for my 3500+/ A8V-Deluxe /TwinX3200XLPRO setup. Thanx [B]ixion[/B] for the priceless info!.......I'll be setting mine up this weekend.......you'll probably be getting some PM's... :D:[/QUOTE] No problem. Happy to help. Good luck and let us know how your setup went.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Purple Lizzard']Hey RAM GUY, Is the CMX256-3200XL memory they are using with this setup going to perform any better than my older Twinix512-3200LL rev1.1? I believe that you have stated before that it uses the Winbond BH-5 chips. Thanks[/QUOTE] Bump Oh Ram Guy ?

• Corsair Employee
Yes and No! Winbond Rev B IC's were some of the fastest memory that we had seen at that time, however they will normally top out about 210-220 MHz at 2.8 Volts! XMS3200XL will run at Cass 2-2-2-5 at DDR400 but if you relax the timings they will top out about 250-260 MHz! So Yes XMS3200XL can run faster than XMS3200LL Rev 1.1! However, at the same speed I think Winbond would be slightly faster at the same settings in a bench mark!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Yes and No! Winbond Rev B IC's were some of the fastest memory that we had seen at that time, however they will normally top out about 210-220 MHz at 2.8 Volts! XMS3200XL will run at Cass 2-2-2-5 at DDR400 but if you relax the timings they will top out about 250-260 MHz! So Yes XMS3200XL can run faster than XMS3200LL Rev 1.1! However, at the same speed I think Winbond would be slightly faster at the same settings in a bench mark![/QUOTE] Ok, . . . so has Corsair tested the XMS 3200XL modules with either the Asus A8V or the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum?

• Corsair Employee
Not the K8N but we have with A8V, should run great with either MB as far as I know! Just both of these MB are still new and may take a few bios revisions for them to really perform well with aggressive memory!

What about 2GB (two matched pairs) of 3200XLPRO? To avoid posting the same questions in two places, here's a link to the thread I posted in. Any help you could offer would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! :o: [url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27851&page=1&pp=15[/url]

Archived