Corsair Community

Got HD-120 fans working w/ Gigabyte's RGB Fusion software!

solarity

I have been bitten by the RGB bug and like lighting a little too much. I even wired up my home theater with RGB in the crown molding. It even syncs up with the remote so when you press play the lights turn off and pause turns them on, etc.

Anyway my Z370 Gaming 7 motherboard comes with 4 RGB headers on 3 channels:

Analog Channel: 2x 5pin 12v RGBW headers

Digital Channel 1: 1x 3pin 5v/12v (jumperable)

Digital Channel 2: 1x 3pin 5v/12v (jumperable)

First off, you can very easily damage your equipment if you do this wrong!!! I would highly advise most people to just buy the lighting node Pro, I am even considering it due to more specialized control that Link gives you as well as you get some digital RGB strips that have magnets to make life easier. It is also a lot more fool or "uhoh" proof as every connector is keyed.

I have all 3 HD-120 fans plugged into the HD-120 RGB Fan Hub. I have the RGB Hub powered via the attached 5v SATA power. The RGB Fan Hub has a 3pin keyed input that can be used to plug in the included controller or a Lighting Node Pro.

My motherboard has GDV Digital header (Ground, Digital Out, Voltage). It also has a jumper for the power (5v/12v). In my case I did not use the Voltage pin and left it open. I only used the Ground and the Digital Out pins.

I tore out some old case 2pin header connectors from an old case and spliced them together with solder. I then plugged one side into my motherboard's Digital Out and Ground connector, leaving the 5v/12v open. Again make sure to leave this open or you could possibly damage your LEDs. At least I didn't want to test this. 12v will kill them!

I then plugged the other end into the RGB Fan Hub's Data and Ground. The RGB Fan Hubs input has 5v,Data,Ground. The 5v is easily distinguished as it has a key hole above/below it. In other words if you see a slot in the plastic connector and a pin above/below it, then that is the power. I would avoid plugging that one in as it could damage the motherboard. The Data pin is also the center pin.

I haven't used Link, but I did watch Corsair's video on it and it showed only about 6 different modes, which I think included static and temperature, both of which Fusion also controls. Gigabyte's Fusion does have a lot more modes, though the software views the serial connected strips inside the fans as one long 36 LED strip. Fusion does have a lot more modes and allows you to control LED headers, RAM, and other compatible devices, it still doesn't know what is plugged into its headers. Link does give you more control as you can different modes for different strips/fans. Looking at Gigabyte's RGB Fusion site, it seems that the Digital headers are more geared for a digital RGB matrix, than actual strips or fans. A few of the modes seem to overlap on the fans, while they could be completely different on a matrix: https://www.gigabyte.com/mb/rgb/

I did buy the Corsair Lighting Pro, though haven't opened it up yet. Still waffling if I should use that or Fusion. I know my solution does work and I would like to add some digital LED strips, though as cheap as a reel of digital RGB strips are, I will have to add connectors and the adhesive seems to suck on a lot of these strips. The Corsair strips aren't high density, but they do have magnets, and most likely decent quality.

Edited by solarity

• 4 weeks later...

Great post, I'm amazed there's not been a comment! I actually came across your video on youtube first.

I have the same idea myself, but with an Asus motherboard which has a 5V addressable header (5V/Data/Ground).

I've got 6 x HD120 fans and the rgb fan controller, so it should be a simple matter of cutting the cable from the rgb controller and connecting data and ground cables to the asus header (leaving 5V disconnected)?

PS - I also have a Commander Pro, but like the idea of snychronizing the motherboard with the corsair case fans :)

Edited by 877cms

So the picture becomes a bit more clear to me after having a read here:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=886692&postcount=1

Specifically this section by CharixFox

"The next bit of fun was getting into the control modules. Four screws on the hub and two on the button remote, both under the sticky pads. This contained the important information that strengthened some of my suspicions.

The hub takes +5v and Ground from the SATA connector to power the controller and the LEDs. The remote has three wires going to the hub, so either it had to be using a digital signalling to logic hardware in the hub or the logic hardware had to be in the remote. Turns out it's in the remote. One ATMEL 2mbit EEPROM and an unmarked 8-pin processor chip work with 5V and Ground and have a single line out for the digital data signal.

Each port on the hub has +5V and Ground, and then Data Out (from the hub to the fan) and Data In (From the fan to the hub so it can be passed to the next fan). The data signal from the remote is passed to Port 1 on the hub, then the Data In (I prefer to call Data Return) on the port is passed to the Data Out on the next port, and so on through all six.

Pinout for the LED connector on the fan -WIRES TOWARDS YOU, CLIP FACING UP-:

Ground Data Out Data Return +5V"

So I am guessing just the "data in" cable could be needed from the motherboard header to the rgb fan controller...

Another possible problem, each HD120 has 12 x LED's. My motherboard manual states a maximum of 60 addressable LED's per LED strip attached to each header. So would that mean a maximum of 5 x HD120 fans per header? Or doesn't this apply due to the connected rgb fan controller?

Edited by 877cms

Great post, I'm amazed there's not been a comment! I actually came across your video on youtube first.

I have the same idea myself, but with an Asus motherboard which has a 5V addressable header (5V/Data/Ground).

I've got 6 x HD120 fans and the rgb fan controller, so it should be a simple matter of cutting the cable from the rgb controller and connecting data and ground cables to the asus header (leaving 5V disconnected)?

PS - I also have a Commander Pro, but like the idea of snychronizing the motherboard with the corsair case fans :)

Check out iCue, if you have the Pro I would go that route IMHO.

I would have to look into using power of the Mb, my first thought it should be possible, though got it working as is, so never tried/looked at anything else.

• 3 weeks later...
nice mod there! i recently got hd120 pack too! i wanted it work on my z370 ultra gaming (RGB fusion). possible to make any tutorial on it? i am not quite clear how you did it.

Hi there thenubfeeder,

To confirm got this working fine on my Maximus x Formula, with just a single two wire lead. Just make sure that you're connecting it the the 5V addressable header on your motherboard for HD120 fans (not the 12V/G/R/B). Please double check it's correct as you may damage something.

Check out my attached photo and diagram, using the original motherboard wires and soldering them together makes it impossible for me to connect it the wrong way. Note the 5V wire marked with the arrow is cut off inside the heatshrink. The wire goes from the RGB fan hub to the motherboard header in case that was not obvious.

I have the Commander Pro but prefer the look of the Asus board synching all the RGB together, I might even connect the fans to the mobo and abandon the CP altogether!

Good luck!

1499728941_2018-04-2019_01.32mycustomleaddiagram.thumb.jpg.4bfc428b637438f5f41b3c3d1c0b0f5a.jpg

1817422918_2018-04-1816_48.10mycustomleadphoto.thumb.jpg.3732a1399285fd5d64e433770983b2b9.jpg

Hi there thenubfeeder,

To confirm got this working fine on my Maximus x Formula, with just a single two wire lead. Just make sure that you're connecting it the the 5V addressable header on your motherboard for HD120 fans (not the 12V/G/R/B). Please double check it's correct as you may damage something.

Check out my attached photo and diagram, using the original motherboard wires and soldering them together makes it impossible for me to connect it the wrong way. Note the 5V wire marked with the arrow is cut off inside the heatshrink. The wire goes from the RGB fan hub to the motherboard header in case that was not obvious.

I have the Commander Pro but prefer the look of the Asus board synching all the RGB together, I might even connect the fans to the mobo and abandon the CP altogether!

Good luck!

Thanks for your kind reply and really appreciate the photo that attached! it really helps. Was trying to find 2 pin cable for this but no luck in my local shop, any idea where to get the cable online?

Thanks for your kind reply and really appreciate the photo that attached! it really helps. Was trying to find 2 pin cable for this but no luck in my local shop, any idea where to get the cable online?

You'll have to make it. Look in my signature for a post on the parts required and how to do it.

You'll have to make it. Look in my signature for a post on the parts required and how to do it.

Great info there on all the Molex types, if someone wants the quick and dirty method just use the original leads and cut and solder together :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing this method as I've looked pretty much everywhere for it.

I am currently using some corsair ll120 fans with the controller that comes with the 570x case. I have an Asus z370 motherboard that has a 12v 4pin RGB header.

Do you think it can work despite of it being 12v or does it only work with a 5v 4-pin RGB header?

Also, the rgb pin on my motherboard supports RGB input and not RGBW, as I have no idea what type of LEDs the ll120 uses would it make a difference?.

And lastly has anyone successfully paired their corsair fans with Aura sync?

Thanks again

Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing this method as I've looked pretty much everywhere for it.

I am currently using some corsair ll120 fans with the controller that comes with the 570x case. I have an Asus z370 motherboard that has a 12v 4pin RGB header.

Do you think it can work despite of it being 12v or does it only work with a 5v 4-pin RGB header?

Also, the rgb pin on my motherboard supports RGB input and not RGBW, as I have no idea what type of LEDs the ll120 uses would it make a difference?.

And lastly has anyone successfully paired their corsair fans with Aura sync?

Thanks again

Hi,

Have a look at the links in Zottys post above, I'm not sure what type of LED's are in the LL fans. Also there are two lots of LED's so it needs more thinking about. I did notice this though which might be a problem:

"15. LL RGB Fan's Have no Hardware Playback meaning they will not display Custom Profiles when iCue/LINK isn't running"

The HD120 fans I have are working fine with Aura sync.

Hi,

Have a look at the links in Zottys post above, I'm not sure what type of LED's are in the LL fans. Also there are two lots of LED's so it needs more thinking about. I did notice this though which might be a problem:

"15. LL RGB Fan's Have no Hardware Playback meaning they will not display Custom Profiles when iCue/LINK isn't running"

The HD120 fans I have are working fine with Aura sync.

aw that's kinda disappointing.

Though the guy in the video:

[ame]

[/ame]

does say that it should work with LL120 fans. Is this 100% confirmed not to work with software other than iCue/LINK?

Is there any other alternative to the node pro / commander pro that can control the rgb lighting via software? I heard an Arduino board might do the trick but don't know much about it.

aw that's kinda disappointing.

Though the guy in the video:

does say that it should work with LL120 fans. Is this 100% confirmed not to work with software other than iCue/LINK?

Is there any other alternative to the node pro / commander pro that can control the rgb lighting via software? I heard an Arduino board might do the trick but don't know much about it.

Hey you found my other video I posted! Some people wanted more details on the youtube channel, so I made my first edited video. I do have some more details in the comments. I am going to add some more videos and work on improving my editing quality. I am going to put together a RGB 101 for PCs as I keep repeating myself, so it might be easier to post a video. Please subscribe if you want to get updated content, it also makes me want to put more videos and improve my content =D

To sum it up

1. LED is just a LED. It uses voltage or PWM to vary the brightness of the LED.
  2. RGB is a cluster three LEDs that vary it's color and brightness through PWM alone as most RGB LEDs share the same common anode (+) and each diode have their own anode (-). This is why there are "4 pins". Give it 100% across the board and you get the color white, vary the PWM signal to get different brightness and colors.
  3. (Analog) RGB Strip is a tape with multiple 5050 (5mmx5mm) RGB LED mounted to it. It has 4 pins typically 12v, Red, Green, and Blue. "4/5 pin LED header on motherboard the 5th is the optional white on Gigabyte motherboards.
  4. "Digital/Addressable" RGB is your run of the mill RGB LED that has a chip/integrated circuit embedded with it. These LEDs tend to have Data In, Data Out, Voltage, & Ground. Most tend to run at 5v and sending 12v will fry the chip, rendering it useless.

Digital Motherboard headers will be 3 pin as it doesn't need the data to be returned. The LL-120 have 4 pins as the 4th pin is the data out/transmit, so it can hand off the data to the next fan on the RGB Hub.

So Analog RGB Strip is like a Roosevelt's (MB) leading the charge of his soldiers (LEDs) Battle of San Juan Hill. They all follow suit.

A Digital RGB is like the News (MB) informing someone wife's (IC) about something, and she telling her husband (RGB LED) what to do, while gossiping to her neighbor (2nd IC), who tells her husband (2nd RGB LED) to do something and so on. The husbands might react different so they can turn green, blue, or red or any color of the spectrum.

I love informing people of this stuff, though I want to also inform people that iCue is the best damn software out there. Everything else feels very limited. I did this and bought a LNP the day they released iCue.

@ABS17 - Based off what you are saying, I think your motherboard is not equipped with a digital header. I know Gigabyte has a jumper that allows you to set the voltage of the digital header of 5v or 12v. I think Asus only has 5v digital headers as that is the most common type. It would be easiest if you could post your motherboard type as there are over a half dozen Z370 Asus boards out there. @877cms put a good drawing together of the digital header. I have a picture in one of my video comments, though youtube is blocked here, so can post it now.

Hey you found my other video I posted! Some people wanted more details on the youtube channel, so I made my first edited video. I do have some more details in the comments. I am going to add some more videos and work on improving my editing quality. I am going to put together a RGB 101 for PCs as I keep repeating myself, so it might be easier to post a video. Please subscribe if you want to get updated content, it also makes me want to put more videos and improve my content =D

To sum it up

1. LED is just a LED. It uses voltage or PWM to vary the brightness of the LED.
  2. RGB is a cluster three LEDs that vary it's color and brightness through PWM alone as most RGB LEDs share the same common anode (+) and each diode have their own anode (-). This is why there are "4 pins". Give it 100% across the board and you get the color white, vary the PWM signal to get different brightness and colors.
  3. (Analog) RGB Strip is a tape with multiple 5050 (5mmx5mm) RGB LED mounted to it. It has 4 pins typically 12v, Red, Green, and Blue. "4/5 pin LED header on motherboard the 5th is the optional white on Gigabyte motherboards.
  4. "Digital/Addressable" RGB is your run of the mill RGB LED that has a chip/integrated circuit embedded with it. These LEDs tend to have Data In, Data Out, Voltage, & Ground. Most tend to run at 5v and sending 12v will fry the chip, rendering it useless.

Digital Motherboard headers will be 3 pin as it doesn't need the data to be returned. The LL-120 have 4 pins as the 4th pin is the data out/transmit, so it can hand off the data to the next fan on the RGB Hub.

So Analog RGB Strip is like a Roosevelt's (MB) leading the charge of his soldiers (LEDs) Battle of San Juan Hill. They all follow suit.

A Digital RGB is like the News (MB) informing someone wife's (IC) about something, and she telling her husband (RGB LED) what to do, while gossiping to her neighbor (2nd IC), who tells her husband (2nd RGB LED) to do something and so on. The husbands might react different so they can turn green, blue, or red or any color of the spectrum.

I love informing people of this stuff, though I want to also inform people that iCue is the best damn software out there. Everything else feels very limited. I did this and bought a LNP the day they released iCue.

Haha yeah I was so curious I had to check your channel out :laughing: your videos are great, will definitely subscribe!

Thanks for the detailed (and funny) explanation

Anyways, the motherboard I'm using is an Asus Prime z370-A. It has only one RGB header as I can see which is a 4 pin 12v. I might miss something but, if you have the time to check this out I'd be thankful. Also can you give me some more details on which digital header are you referring to? I think I know what you're talking about but I'm not quiet sure.

I actually considered getting the aorus z370 motherboard but unfortunately I've heard it has some VRM temperature issues so I chose a different option :(

EDIT: Just found what the addressable header is, sadly my motherboard doesn't come with it.. Is there any other workaround?

Edited by Abs17

Your motherboard does not support digital RGB devices. In the picture below, you will see the bottom left RGB header is the Digital one, it is the one that looks like it is missing a pin. Furthmore if it says "+12vGRB", then that is analog. If it has +5v,D,<blank>,(Arrow pointing down), then that is digital. Gigabyte is the only motherboard manufacture that makes Digital RGB headers that can be jumpered to 5v or 12v.

I am a little lost, you say you have a LL-120, unless you got a single standalone fan, it should have come with the Lighting Node Pro. If you have the single stand alone fan, my opinion is for you to buy a Lighting Node Pro! They are $56 on Newegg and Amazon right now. It comes with the controller and 4xLED lighting strips. I was hesitant to buy it as I thought to myself my motherboard has Digital RGB headers and LED strips are cheap. Though the greatest thing about the Corsair ecosystem is the iCUE software. That is the main reason I bought the LNP. Also the LED strips have freaking magnets, this makes installing them so easy as you can easily move them around. A lot of tape out there just comes with crappy adhesive that falls off. Even some other brands sell just the crappy LED strips. Corsair not only has magnets, but it also has Corsairs name on it. So it isn't just cheap strips with a fan connector on it.

Another option is to buy a Corsair Commander Pro, it doesn't come with the strips, though it does have 6x fan headers, temp sensors, and USB 2.0 headers. I can't speak for it as I have never used it, though it is priced similar to the LNP at a little over $60. Wouldn't mind testing one out myself.

headers.jpg

Your motherboard does not support digital RGB devices. In the picture below, you will see the bottom left RGB header is the Digital one, it is the one that looks like it is missing a pin. Furthmore if it says "+12vGRB", then that is analog. If it has +5v,D,<blank>,(Arrow pointing down), then that is digital. Gigabyte is the only motherboard manufacture that makes Digital RGB headers that can be jumpered to 5v or 12v.

I am a little lost, you say you have a LL-120, unless you got a single standalone fan, it should have come with the Lighting Node Pro. If you have the single stand alone fan, my opinion is for you to buy a Lighting Node Pro! They are $56 on Newegg and Amazon right now. It comes with the controller and 4xLED lighting strips. I was hesitant to buy it as I thought to myself my motherboard has Digital RGB headers and LED strips are cheap. Though the greatest thing about the Corsair ecosystem is the iCUE software. That is the main reason I bought the LNP. Also the LED strips have freaking magnets, this makes installing them so easy as you can easily move them around. A lot of tape out there just comes with crappy adhesive that falls off. Even some other brands sell just the crappy LED strips. Corsair not only has magnets, but it also has Corsairs name on it. So it isn't just cheap strips with a fan connector on it.

Another option is to buy a Corsair Commander Pro, it doesn't come with the strips, though it does have 6x fan headers, temp sensors, and USB 2.0 headers. I can't speak for it as I have never used it, though it is priced similar to the LNP at a little over $60. Wouldn't mind testing one out myself.

headers.jpg

I've bought a single fan for the exhaust on my 570x. I'm using the controller that came with the stock SP120 fans that came with the case atm. So I didn't get the lighting node pro. I might get the triple pack ll120 fans to replace the stock ones tho it is a little costly.

I'm thinking of getting an Arduino meanwhile and see if I can play with it a little until I get the 3 ll120 fan pack. These seem to be out of stock in many places :rolleyes:

Too bad Asus couldn't provide me a damn addressable rgb pin with my motherboard :(

If I understood correctly the 12v 4pin RGB header only allows for one colour at a time is that correct?

I think I'll get the Arduino and see what I can do with it just for the fun.

I've bought a single fan for the exhaust on my 570x. I'm using the controller that came with the stock SP120 fans that came with the case atm. So I didn't get the lighting node pro. I might get the triple pack ll120 fans to replace the stock ones tho it is a little costly.

I'm thinking of getting an Arduino meanwhile and see if I can play with it a little until I get the 3 ll120 fan pack. These seem to be out of stock in many places :rolleyes:

Too bad Asus couldn't provide me a damn addressable rgb pin with my motherboard :(

If I understood correctly the 12v 4pin RGB header only allows for one colour at a time is that correct?

I think I'll get the Arduino and see what I can do with it just for the fun.

Asus does provide a Z370 motherboard with addressable LEDs, the primes seem to be a no frills board. I do like Asus a lot, though went with the Gigabyte Gaming 7 due to the insane price point at the time when bundled with a 8600K. The Gaming 7 has one of the best VRMs for the Z370, some of the lower end Gaming series had some issues with the VRM and early Gaming 7s had some boards sent out w/o the VRM heat sink torqued all the way. Most people that had this issue, just tightened it with a screw driver. At the time of purchase the CPUs were a hot commodity and the 8700k was well over MSRP and didn't have any good combo deals. My only issue with Asus is they let the whole ROG go to their head, the Stryx boards in particular are less than satisfactory for the price point, even the Maximus was a little over priced compared to the Gaming 7. People want to pay more for a board that says Republic of China...I mean Republic of Gamers name and Asus knows this. Gigabyte also knows this and I think that is why they are marketing the Aorus line, but it is pretty much just smoke and mirrors right now. Lots of pretty marketing that Gigabyte put together though their forums are full of bots and there really isn't a community. There is a lot more of a following for Asus. A couple of us are working with the Gigabyte Fusion SDK and developing some cool tools. I wrote a script that changes the colors of my motherboard and attached devices, based off the game I am playing. The best mid range boards, in terms of price, value, and quality for the VRM are a lot of the AS Rock. The Taichi is very popular as well, though I still prefer my Gaming 7. That was really off topic.

Anyway if you want to use the Arduino to control the lights, a member on this forum developed a tool to control the lights: https://github.com/Charixfox/HD120-Controller

If you go with this you need to get a Leondardo style Arduino. The Arduino is open source, so many other clones exist, I bought this one months ago, but have yet to play with it: https://www.amazon.com/keyestudio-Leonardo-Development-Perfectly-Compatible/dp/B0786LJQ8K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526561238&sr=8-4&keywords=leonardo+arduino

You don't need an official branded Arduino, though it has everything the same. I have yet to test this and this is all the information that @Charixfox wrote in his thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029

Again there are clones that are identical to the Arduino. As Arduino made it open source, that means anyone can make and market a clone.

Asus does provide a Z370 motherboard with addressable LEDs, the primes seem to be a no frills board. I do like Asus a lot, though went with the Gigabyte Gaming 7 due to the insane price point at the time when bundled with a 8600K. The Gaming 7 has one of the best VRMs for the Z370, some of the lower end Gaming series had some issues with the VRM and early Gaming 7s had some boards sent out w/o the VRM heat sink torqued all the way. Most people that had this issue, just tightened it with a screw driver. At the time of purchase the CPUs were a hot commodity and the 8700k was well over MSRP and didn't have any good combo deals. My only issue with Asus is they let the whole ROG go to their head, the Stryx boards in particular are less than satisfactory for the price point, even the Maximus was a little over priced compared to the Gaming 7. People want to pay more for a board that says Republic of China...I mean Republic of Gamers name and Asus knows this. Gigabyte also knows this and I think that is why they are marketing the Aorus line, but it is pretty much just smoke and mirrors right now. Lots of pretty marketing that Gigabyte put together though their forums are full of bots and there really isn't a community. There is a lot more of a following for Asus. A couple of us are working with the Gigabyte Fusion SDK and developing some cool tools. I wrote a script that changes the colors of my motherboard and attached devices, based off the game I am playing. The best mid range boards, in terms of price, value, and quality for the VRM are a lot of the AS Rock. The Taichi is very popular as well, though I still prefer my Gaming 7. That was really off topic.

Anyway if you want to use the Arduino to control the lights, a member on this forum developed a tool to control the lights: https://github.com/Charixfox/HD120-Controller

If you go with this you need to get a Leondardo style Arduino. The Arduino is open source, so many other clones exist, I bought this one months ago, but have yet to play with it: https://www.amazon.com/keyestudio-Leonardo-Development-Perfectly-Compatible/dp/B0786LJQ8K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1526561238&sr=8-4&keywords=leonardo+arduino

You don't need an official branded Arduino, though it has everything the same. I have yet to test this and this is all the information that @Charixfox wrote in his thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=165029

Again there are clones that are identical to the Arduino. As Arduino made it open source, that means anyone can make and market a clone.

I agree, seen some great reviews on the aorus gaming 7. I considered getting the gaming 7 too but couldn't find any good combo deals. I've found one good deal with the gaming 3 but then I read some negative feedback regarding it, so I ended up getting the Asus which was at my price range. I've read somewhere about the tightning solution for the lower end series that had the hot VRM issues, but unfortunately it voids your warranty (at least on the aorus gaming 3) so I didn't want to take the risk. Asus's ROG series is definitely nothing but a marketing strategy to convince people to purchase their products. This also has to do with their aura sync which they're trying to lock users down to one platform.

This is a great handy tool and just what I need! Once I get the Arduino board I'll post back. I only hope to not fry the LEDs by mistake.

I appreciate your help, thanks

I agree, seen some great reviews on the aorus gaming 7. I considered getting the gaming 7 too but couldn't find any good combo deals. I've found one good deal with the gaming 3 but then I read some negative feedback regarding it, so I ended up getting the Asus which was at my price range. I've read somewhere about the tightning solution for the lower end series that had the hot VRM issues, but unfortunately it voids your warranty (at least on the aorus gaming 3) so I didn't want to take the risk. Asus's ROG series is definitely nothing but a marketing strategy to convince people to purchase their products. This also has to do with their aura sync which they're trying to lock users down to one platform.

This is a great handy tool and just what I need! Once I get the Arduino board I'll post back. I only hope to not fry the LEDs by mistake.

I appreciate your help, thanks

Just make sure you plug things in correctly and double check.

• 1 month later...
Is this possible to do with the SP120s or only the HD120s? I have a 570x, just finishing up my RGB build and would love to be able to sync up my motherboard, gpu, RAM, and system fans (and even CPU waterblock if possible) to color cycle in sync. Is this something possible, or would it require me to replace all of the fans and or the controller to make this happen? I have found that even though my memory appears to be compatible with the fusion software, the RAM lights go out of sync with the motherboard/gpu lights and it starts looking ugly after a few minutes, curious if people have had similar issues with fans or if everything seems to work properly after going through this process?

Sp-120 are not compatible with RGB Fusion at all. Different type of LED. All other Corsair RGB fans will work so long as you have Digital RGB Header. This video I made might help.

Thanks for the information...as far as if I were to look into other fans...for me to upgrade to the HD120s, would it require an entire new controller in my case than the one included with it that the SP120s are using? If so, it's going to turn into a costly and very time consuming project to install 6 new fans into my water cooled build as well as a new controller and rewire everything....essentially making it impossible without disassembling the entire PC pretty much.

Thanks for the information...as far as if I were to look into other fans...for me to upgrade to the HD120s, would it require an entire new controller in my case than the one included with it that the SP120s are using? If so, it's going to turn into a costly and very time consuming project to install 6 new fans into my water cooled build as well as a new controller and rewire everything....essentially making it impossible without disassembling the entire PC pretty much.

A couple options if u want to save money:

Keep SP-120s and one of the following:

LL-120 3pack with LNP included

ML-120 RGB 3pack with LNP included

HD-120 or SP-120 3pack and LNP SEPERATELY with 4xRGB strips.

HD and SP fans come with manual controllers othet two include a Lighting Node Pro. So if u got the HD/SP you would need to buy a LNP in addition. You would then use iCUE

Other option is to buy two 3xHD-120 sets and use the Digital MB Header. What MB do you have? You would use Fusion/Aura/etc to control them. This option requires some tinkering. However I do.think iCUE is the best software.